Interview Attire (2nd interview)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Chris H.

administrator emeritus
Jul 1, 2004
Tulsa, Okla.
chris.hasenpflug.net
Our company dress code is quite relaxed....when you're in the office we wear jeans insteads of slacks, and the folks at our engineering campus get to wear whatever the heck they want...shorts, hoodies, flip flops, you name it as long as you're appropriately clothed. But it is expected that you will suit up for an interview. If a candidate showed up in anything different than Business Professional for an interview, they are unlikely to get the job. Even if it's a skype interview, you suit up. Yes, I've conducted an interview wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but the candidates suit up. Heck, most people suit up even for an internal interview.

Nobody is going to dock you for "overdressing" by wearing a suit to an interview...as an interviewer you know you wore one when you interviewed too. But they are likely to question it if you don't. Don't leave it as something for them to question, just suit up.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Agree on the suit. Also, I have a habit of wearing a tie that matches the company's logo color when I go to a meeting. If the hiring manager is an OSU guy, you might consider an orange tie. Ala the Travis Ford collection.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Just an update for you all, I suited up and the interview went well. I never actually applied for the job, THEY called ME, so I never filled out an application. I'm assuming since they asked to fill out an application after 2 interviews that I probably have the job. Otherwise I would think that they wouldn't have bothered telling me to fill out the application.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Sorry for the triple post, I can't edit the previous one. I got the job! Just need to sign the contract and I start end of January.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Now, time to figure out when to tell my current job "Hey, half your company's engineering experience is leaving." There's only 1 other engineer that has more than 3 weeks at the company but he doesn't know anything about what I do and the products I'm responsible for. This is going to be the point where not allowing us to do cross training is going to break some backs...

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Now, time to figure out when to tell my current job "Hey, half your company's engineering experience is leaving." There's only 1 other engineer that has more than 3 weeks at the company but he doesn't know anything about what I do and the products I'm responsible for. This is going to be the point where not allowing us to do cross training is going to break some backs...
Congrats. Don't feel bad for them but what if they offer you more money to stay?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Congrats. Don't feel bad for them but what if they offer you more money to stay?
It started as a money issue but that's not even the main reason I'm leaving. They're running this company into the ground and don't even realize it. They make decisions based purely on customer input and don't think anything past that. So while they may be making customers happy they certainly aren't pleasing the employees that have to actually do the work that those decisions are creating and then the only feedback from the decision makers is "why didn't you get it done faster?"... There's a reason that the entire sales staff and engineering staff are leaving/have left in the last 3 months (pending 2 waiting to hear back from interviews). In short, no matter what they offer me, I'm leaving. My position here has ran it's course. My salary has probably capped and there's nowhere for me to go, horizontally or vertically, within the company. And that has become very clear to me and everyone else that has already left or is on their way out.

Whew, fuming a little! I need to get home and crack open a cold one!

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Well, I put in my notice this week and it nearly floored them. They had no idea and I was the 3rd this week by Tues to give notice. That makes 7 or 8 since Aug. Just for perspective, there are only 18 front office employees... They've already had one talk trying to get me to stay but I've basically told them they're wasting their time. They mentioned a POSSIBLE pay increase and POSSIBLY restructuring out dept to allow progression. They want to have at least 1 more talk with me next week but I think they know it's not going to change anything.

Jun 8, 2012
Amen on not burning bridges. The world is small and unless you are completely leaving the field – and even if you are not – there is always a chance you will end up working with people you knew there or people who knew of you in some capacity. Your reputation can mean a huge new position and pay increase at some point, and you never know when that will happen. And it could also mean that you lose an account. Yes, burning bridges is a bad thing, and if you can possibly… Try to build them back up before you leave. You really just never know.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I don't think any bridges will be burned. I've been clear with them that this change is more because of a better opportunity that they cannot offer than the reason I ranted about earlier... My direct manager completely understands why I'm leaving bc he just recently left his previous company for ours because of similar reasons. You all are definitely right though, burning bridges is BAD NEWS. We've had a couple leave that burned theirs.

pokelahoman

Keeper of the Cursive Script
Aug 31, 2009
Edmond
It started as a money issue but that's not even the main reason I'm leaving. They're running this company into the ground and don't even realize it. They make decisions based purely on customer input and don't think anything past that. So while they may be making customers happy they certainly aren't pleasing the employees that have to actually do the work that those decisions are creating and then the only feedback from the decision makers is "why didn't you get it done faster?"... There's a reason that the entire sales staff and engineering staff are leaving/have left in the last 3 months (pending 2 waiting to hear back from interviews). In short, no matter what they offer me, I'm leaving. My position here has ran it's course. My salary has probably capped and there's nowhere for me to go, horizontally or vertically, within the company. And that has become very clear to me and everyone else that has already left or is on their way out.

Whew, fuming a little! I need to get home and crack open a cold one!
Was going to ask if you worked with me until you mentioned engineering staff since we don't have any in our office. Good luck with the new job!

internationalaw

Reading about OSU football somewhere
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2010
USA
I bet you got the job based on your interview, skills and testing not whether you wore a suit. However, always wear a suit if applicable. Oh and congratulations