Interview Attire (2nd interview)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I had an interview for a Design Engineer position a few days ago and just got the call that they want me to come back in for a second interview. I'm unsure of how professional to dress for this interview. The first I wore a suit and tie but I'm not sure if that's necessary for this next one. Everyone I came into contact with in my first interview were just wearing slacks and polo's (obviously not going to wear that). They didn't say if this would be a more casual interview or not but the first one was with the Engineering Manager and this one is with HR and possibly the manager again and another Engineer. He described as possibly more of a "get to know you" interview for HR. Should I suit up again? Just tie and button down? I'm in the dark here, all the job's I've gotten were based on just one interview so I haven't had to worry about what to wear on the return visit other than showing up the first day. I'm also still employed so when I leave I will have to head to my current job that I don't dress any nicer than khaki's (tan or gray) and a button down. Any nicer and people will know I'm out interviewing...

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I had an interview for a Design Engineer position a few days ago and just got the call that they want me to come back in for a second interview. I'm unsure of how professional to dress for this interview. The first I wore a suit and tie but I'm not sure if that's necessary for this next one. Everyone I came into contact with in my first interview were just wearing slacks and polo's (obviously not going to wear that). They didn't say if this would be a more casual interview or not but the first one was with the Engineering Manager and this one is with HR and possibly the manager again and another Engineer. He described as possibly more of a "get to know you" interview for HR. Should I suit up again? Just tie and button down? I'm in the dark here, all the job's I've gotten were based on just one interview so I haven't had to worry about what to wear on the return visit other than showing up the first day. I'm also still employed so when I leave I will have to head to my current job that I don't dress any nicer than khaki's (tan or gray) and a button down. Any nicer and people will know I'm out interviewing...
I'd say leave the sit jacket at home but go tie and button down. Less stuffy, but still professional.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Always wear a suit to an interview. Always. Makes you appear much more professional and they appreciate that. Don't dress down to them.

Good luck!

Most engineering/architecture firms I've met with here in DFW wear jeans and polos every day. Must be nice.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
You don't have the job, dress as if you want the job not as if you have the job. Suit and tie - one other bit of advice research everything you can about the company be prepared to ask them questions and if you know who you are going to meet find out something about them. Every edge you can gain may be the one that puts you in the lead.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Yep, suit and tie. Conservative shirt, tie, socks and shoes. Always keep it basic and professional for office interviews.

Aug 22, 2009
Oklahoma
I would say it really depends on the company. I would at least 'one-up' then on the attire. If they don't wear ties, I think that will be fine. Maybe a tie and blazer, not a full blown suit. I'm a little more laid back though.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
No one is going to dock you for wearing a suit and tie.

A button up and tie should be good theoretically but why take the chance?

Jun 8, 2012
Yep, suit and tie. Conservative shirt, tie, socks and shoes. Always keep it basic and professional for office interviews.
Yep. Even if the office atmosphere is more causal, this is the way to go (if for no other reason than you may have some older more conservative partners on the interview team who will be put off if you're not appropriately dressed).

However - I'm not sure what a Design Engineer is, but if it is on the creative side, you maybe can take some liberties with the tie/socks. Otherwise, nah.

Also, make sure your coat sleeves are long enough.

Jan 28, 2011
Dallas, TX
Having been an engineering manager, I would highly suggest that you stick with the suit and tie. The only exception would be if you were going out to an oil field, or something along those lines.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Having been an engineering manager, I would highly suggest that you stick with the suit and tie. The only exception would be if you were going out to an oil field, or something along those lines.
Yeah, everyone's got me back in the better safe than sorry mindset. Your opinion definitely holds a lot of weight too, so looks like suit and tie. Hopefully they won't mind it being the same suit with a different shirt and tie because I can't afford ANOTHER suit... I just got this one 3 days before the first interview! (I didn't have one because I wasn't actually looking for a job, they just called me up one day.)

Jan 28, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yeah, everyone's got me back in the better safe than sorry mindset. Your opinion definitely holds a lot of weight too, so looks like suit and tie. Hopefully they won't mind it being the same suit with a different shirt and tie because I can't afford ANOTHER suit... I just got this one 3 days before the first interview! (I didn't have one because I wasn't actually looking for a job, they just called me up one day.)
I doubt that they'll notice it's the same suit. More than likely, they only have 1 suit too...

Good Luck!!! Let us know how it goes!

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Wear slacks, nice shirt, sports coat.

This is the new go to attire in an interview. You are plenty dressy by any standard but can ditch the coat if they want to take you to lunch, visit a site etc etc.....and they are all in jeans and a company shirt or something similar. The jacket carries the same class as the tie but easier to shed on any coat rack or chair back. There are very very few professions that expect a suit.

Don't wear the same suit with a different tie. You go from the guy who looked nice in the suit to the guy in THE suit. I doubt many people wore a suit to interview for the job you are after because suits just aren't worn that much anymore. It is probably something that stood about you.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I agree with the suit and tie folks. However, donny has a point about THE suit.

Just throwing an idea out there, do you have a buddy about your size where you could borrow a different suit?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Anybody I know with a suit has already gotten jobs at other companies... Haha. I think I'll be OK with the same suit though. I only met with 1 person on the first interview and this one is with some other people that I didn't meet. If I were interviewing for a job that would require a suit every day I wouldn't have any problem getting another one. I'm not going to buy 2 suits to get a job where I'm only going to wear slacks and polos though.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX

This is the new go to attire in an interview. You are plenty dressy by any standard but can ditch the coat if they want to take you to lunch, visit a site etc etc.....and they are all in jeans and a company shirt or something similar. The jacket carries the same class as the tie but easier to shed on any coat rack or chair back. There are very very few professions that expect a suit.

Don't wear the same suit with a different tie. You go from the guy who looked nice in the suit to the guy in THE suit. I doubt many people wore a suit to interview for the job you are after because suits just aren't worn that much anymore. It is probably something that stood about you.

Every single person I've seen interviewing at the company I work for wears suits to the interview and we are a slacks and polo/dress shirt with jeans on Friday company. I'm fairly confident it is the norm among our peer group also.

Nice slacks, shirt and jacket could work, but I just haven't seen it.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007

They're engineers. They won't notice THE suit.

And I wouldn't recommend going with the slacks/shirt/sport coat combo unless you have a pretty nice wardrobe. If you do, it can look great. If you don't, you look Public School Guidance Counselor. Also, I think this works better for positions that aren't entry-level.