Interesting thought...Spencer Sanders

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Again, the QB depth chart was based solely on who was best prepared and in best position to deliver a win. Redshirt thoughts were not part of the equation as you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BS. As @LS1 Z28 posted above, Gundy doesn’t like to play a true freshman because they might get hurt. I suppose you missed that. That is why Brown was ahead of Sanders on the depth chart. I guess you just can’t understand simple concepts. Too bad.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
There is a reason Brown was the #2 at the end of last year. I think he's a lot better than you are giving him credit for.

Since others are bringing up Kyler Murray. Look at his stats as a freshman at aTm compared to last year when he was the best player in the country. Guys can take huge leaps forward with good coaching and a couple years of maturing. Dru Brown and Spencer Sanders included.

It's possible, probably even likely, Sanders starts next year. But it's also possible Brown starts next year and then Sanders starts the next three. It doesn't have to be either or. The world won't end if a 5th year senior beats out a freshman.
Brown is decent. He's no Spencer Sanders. Sanders will be a star. Only reason he was behind him. Didn't know the playbook and Gundy prefers to redshirt QBs.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
.. and you know that because..........?
Because he is making things up, something he accused me of doing, haha.
Gundy’s only stated that sentiment, oh about.........a million times. He’ll “play the QB that gives us the best chance to win”. If a QB gets injured, he can’t play and thus can’t give us the best chance to win. Further, never have I heard the term “redshirt” being used as a QB depth chart criteria.

Look, you made an inaccurate statement as to why Brown was ahead of Sanders on the depth chart. It wasn’t because of redshirt considerations. Own it, dude.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Gundy’s only stated that sentiment, oh about.........a million times. He’ll “play the QB that gives us the best chance to win”. If a QB gets injured, he can’t play and thus can’t give us the best chance to win. Further, never have I heard the term “redshirt” being used as a QB depth chart criteria.

Look, you made an inaccurate statement as to why Brown was ahead of Sanders on the depth chart. It wasn’t because of redshirt considerations. Own it, dude.

I guess you haven’t paid attention. Gundy wanted to redshirt Sanders because he was afraid that he might get hurt as a freshman. If you are due to red shirt, the guys that might play are ahead of you on the depth chart.
https://pistolsfiringblog.com/mike-gundy-says-he-intends-to-redshirt-freshman-qb-spencer-sanders/

http://www.ocolly.com/sports/notebo...cle_ddf7f470-cb32-11e8-996a-9716083c00d2.html

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsex...cle_251b8b6e-4e69-58b6-b6e7-e2adb2d8448e.html

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas

Playing the QB that gives them the "best chance to win" is different than a depth chart. I fully believe Sanders was only an "emergency" contingent starter last year. He was coming off 2 major injuries from HS - Gundy wanted him with a year under Glass to build his frame and to learn the system.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I guess you haven’t paid attention. Gundy wanted to redshirt Sanders because he was afraid that he might get hurt as a freshman.
https://pistolsfiringblog.com/mike-gundy-says-he-intends-to-redshirt-freshman-qb-spencer-sanders/

http://www.ocolly.com/sports/notebo...cle_ddf7f470-cb32-11e8-996a-9716083c00d2.html

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsex...cle_251b8b6e-4e69-58b6-b6e7-e2adb2d8448e.html
How many times does someone have to remind you.........both Sanders and Brown could play yet keep their RS after the Baylor game.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
How many times does someone have to remind you.........both Sanders and Brown could play yet keep their RS after the Baylor game.

Yes, they could play but Gundy wasn’t going to play the freshman who might get hurt if he had someone older. Therefore the older player was higher on the depth chart. If you can’t follow that logic then their is no hope for you. Either that or you are just trolling. Either way, I’m done.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Yes, they could play but Gundy wasn’t going to play the freshman who might get hurt if he had someone older. Therefore the older player was higher on the depth chart. If you can’t follow that logic then their is no hope for you. Either that or you are just trolling. Either way, I’m done.
Listed below are some of your responses to this post “There is a reason Brown was the #2 at the end of last year. I think he's a lot better than you are giving him credit for..”:

“You have to be kidding me. Brown was #2 because Gundy wanted to redshirt Sanders, just like Daxx Garmin was #2 behind Walsh so Rudolph could red shirt.”

“Exactly. Rudolph was not ready and neither was Sanders, even if he was available to play without pulling his red shirt.”

“Rudolph was not ready and neither was Sanders, even if he was available to play without pulling his red shirt. That is why Gundy wanted to red shirt them”

“Gundy doesn’t like to play a true freshman because they might get hurt.”

“Gundy wanted to redshirt Sanders because he was afraid that he might get hurt as a freshman.”

“Gundy wasn’t going to play the freshman who might get hurt if he had someone older.”

Let’s recap your reasons why Brown, and not Sanders, was QB2 at year end.

First it was because Gundy was redshirting Sanders. Next it was because Sanders wasn’t ready even though he could play without burning his RS. Next it was Gundy was redshirting Sanders because he wasn’t ready. Then it was Gundy wanted to RS Sanders because he might get hurt. And finally it was simply Gundy wanted to play an older player that’s less likely to get hurt.

Dude, you’ve got more waffles than IHOP. Why don’t you just own it and be done with it?

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Listed below are some of your responses to this post “There is a reason Brown was the #2 at the end of last year. I think he's a lot better than you are giving him credit for..”:

“You have to be kidding me. Brown was #2 because Gundy wanted to redshirt Sanders, just like Daxx Garmin was #2 behind Walsh so Rudolph could red shirt.”

“Exactly. Rudolph was not ready and neither was Sanders, even if he was available to play without pulling his red shirt.”

“Rudolph was not ready and neither was Sanders, even if he was available to play without pulling his red shirt. That is why Gundy wanted to red shirt them”

“Gundy wanted to redshirt Sanders because he was afraid that he might get hurt as a freshman.”

“Gundy wasn’t going to play the freshman who might get hurt if he had someone older.”

First it was because Gundy was redshirting Sanders. Next it was because Sanders wasn’t ready even though he could play without burning his RS. Next it was Gundy was redshirting Sanders because he wasn’t ready. Then it was Gundy wanted to RS Sanders because he might get hurt. And finally it was simply Gundy wanted to play an older player that’s less likely to get hurt.

Dude, you’ve got more waffles than IHOP. Why don’t you just own it and be done with it?

At least I never said that it was because I thought Brown was better, which has been your contention. I don’t see any waffling on my part. My contention as you presented it was that Gundy wanted to red shirt Sanders because as a true freshman he might get hurt and he wasn’t going to put Sanders higher on the depth chart for that reason. No waffling.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

At least I never said that it was because I thought Brown was better, which has been your contention. I don’t see any waffling on my part. My contention as you presented it was that Gundy wanted to red shirt Sanders because as a true freshman he might get hurt and he wasn’t going to put Sanders higher on the depth chart for that reason. No waffling.
To quote you - “you gotta be kidding me”

LOL

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Ahh so we've spent like 50 posts on this because of semantics. Love the offseason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Dru Brown is better than Sanders, we are in for another 6-6 regular season, at best (probably worse actually).
There is a reason Brown was the #2 at the end of last year. I think he's a lot better than you are giving him credit for.

Since others are bringing up Kyler Murray. Look at his stats as a freshman at aTm compared to last year when he was the best player in the country. Guys can take huge leaps forward with good coaching and a couple years of maturing. Dru Brown and Spencer Sanders included.

It's possible, probably even likely, Sanders starts next year. But it's also possible Brown starts next year and then Sanders starts the next three. It doesn't have to be either or. The world won't end if a 5th year senior beats out a freshman.
I think Brown was 2nd because Sanders had more upside staying healthy until next year. Brown could be risked.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
This thread is drunk.

Brown was #2 (haha) last year so that he would be shown he’d have a shot to win the job this year. If Gundy would have put Sanders at #2 then Brown transfers out again and we are hurting for QB depth this year.

If Corndog would have gotten hurt in like week 6, then we would have found out who the real #2 was.

Brown or Sanders could start this year, I doubt either is named starter until the fall as we need both on campus this year or we run the risk of being down to 2 scholarship QBs. My money is on Sanders though.

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
This thread is drunk.

Brown was #2 (haha) last year so that he would be shown he’d have a shot to win the job this year. If Gundy would have put Sanders at #2 then Brown transfers out again and we are hurting for QB depth this year.

If Corndog would have gotten hurt in like week 6, then we would have found out who the real #2 was.

Brown or Sanders could start this year, I doubt either is named starter until the fall as we need both on campus this year or we run the risk of being down to 2 scholarship QBs. My money is on Sanders though.

Brown isn’t going anywhere. He is here to get his Masters degree paid for. If he gets to play football that is just an added benefit.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I was listening to the Sports Animal and Big O and Coach Jones were talking about if Spencer is not the starter by midseason, they would expect him to enter transfer portal. I think we all agree that this kind of dialogue is not positive for a 2nd tier school like OSU but it is reality. They mentioned he may leave if not named starter after spring ball. With Gundy we know he will not name a starter before the season starts.

What got me thinking a bit ago is, "what if Gundy redshirted SS and DB to keep them from having the leverage to leave? If they played and did well then lost their spot or struggled or got benched, they could leave/transfer, RS a yr then play. By taking their RS season, does anyone think this could've been a possible strategy as they both developed and got stronger?"
Well I think the plot thickens. Even though a freshman, Brendan Costello reminds me of a poor man's Baker Mayfield.