Interesting thought...Spencer Sanders

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 28, 2006
Since my comparison was a little over your head........

How about the following Gatorade Players of the Year that flopped in college:
QBs
S Robinson
S Young
R Dodge
G Gilbert

Other positions
T Dixon WR
J Gray RB
J Adams DE
D Hickson RB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyler Murray was GPOY in 14. Kenny Hill in 12 Matt Stafford in 05. So your point is? Why the focus on the negative gooner??? Graham Harrel 03 Cedric Benson 2000

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2006
Ahh so we've spent like 50 posts on this because of semantics. Love the offseason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Dru Brown is better than Sanders, we are in for another 6-6 regular season, at best (probably worse actually).
There is a reason Brown was the #2 at the end of last year. I think he's a lot better than you are giving him credit for.

Since others are bringing up Kyler Murray. Look at his stats as a freshman at aTm compared to last year when he was the best player in the country. Guys can take huge leaps forward with good coaching and a couple years of maturing. Dru Brown and Spencer Sanders included.

It's possible, probably even likely, Sanders starts next year. But it's also possible Brown starts next year and then Sanders starts the next three. It doesn't have to be either or. The world won't end if a 5th year senior beats out a freshman.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
There is a reason Brown was the #2 at the end of last year. I think he's a lot better than you are giving him credit for.

Since others are bringing up Kyler Murray. Look at his stats as a freshman at aTm compared to last year when he was the best player in the country. Guys can take huge leaps forward with good coaching and a couple years of maturing. Dru Brown and Spencer Sanders included.

It's possible, probably even likely, Sanders starts next year. But it's also possible Brown starts next year and then Sanders starts the next three. It doesn't have to be either or. The world won't end if a 5th year senior beats out a freshman.
True and with Gundy's track record with starting the older guys with "more experience" it may happen. But even with time in the system to advance, I personally don't see Brown's arm / legs and ability to run getting better than Sanders.

But hey with Gundy you never really know when it comes to QB decisions.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Since my comparison was a little over your head........

How about the following Gatorade Players of the Year that flopped in college:
QBs
S Robinson
S Young
R Dodge
G Gilbert

Other positions
T Dixon WR
J Gray RB
J Adams DE
D Hickson RB

Kyler Murray was GPOY in 14. Kenny Hill in 12 Matt Stafford in 05. So your point is? Why the focus on the negative gooner??? Graham Harrel 03 Cedric Benson 2000
Some GPOY turn out to be stars, some just average players, some totally flop. The point is.....being awarded GPOY doesn’t guarantee anything.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
It means he was selected by Gatorade as the best player in Texas, I really don't understand your position at all. Really all you have to do is watch the videos.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
There is a reason Brown was the #2 at the end of last year. I think he's a lot better than you are giving him credit for..
You have to be kidding me. Brown was #2 because Gundy wanted to redshirt Sanders, just like Daxx Garmin was #2 behind Walsh so Rudolph could red shirt.
Uh, no.

After the Baylor game, both Brown and Sanders were available to play without burning their redshirt. Brown, not Sanders was QB2 both early and late season because he was best able to run the offense, just like.....

Daxx Garmin was best able to run the offense because Rudolph was not ready.

Jan 14, 2006
You have to be kidding me. Brown was #2 because Gundy wanted to redshirt Sanders, just like Daxx Garmin was #2 behind Walsh so Rudolph could red shirt.
I'm not kidding you and your redshirt argument holds no water. There was a new rule implemented this year where players could play in up to 4 games and keep their redshirt.

Brown was still the backup up to and including the bowl game. I think he's better than you are giving him credit for and it's really not cool to bash a kid before he's thrown a pass in our uniform.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Uh, no.

After the Baylor game, both Brown and Sanders were available to play without burning their redshirt. Brown, not Sanders was QB2 both early and late season because he was best able to run the offense, just like.....

Exactly. Rudolph was not ready and neither was Sanders, even if he was available to play without pulling his red shirt.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
I'm not kidding you and your redshirt argument holds no water. There was a new rule implemented this year where players could play in up to 4 games and keep their redshirt.

Brown was still the backup up to and including the bowl game. I think he's better than you are giving him credit for and it's really not cool to bash a kid before he's thrown a pass in our uniform.
The same answer for you.
Rudolph was not ready and neither was Sanders, even if he was available to play without pulling his red shirt. That is why Gundy wanted to red shirt them.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

He's a 23 year old grad student. Not a kid.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Uh, no.

Exactly. Rudolph was not ready and neither was Sanders, even if he was available to play without pulling his red shirt.
The QB depth chart had nothing to do with redshirt considerations. Nothing.

If it did, Sanders would be ahead of Brown. Gundy would rather have burned a redshirt on Sanders before Brown. If Browns redshirt was burned, Gundy would only have Wudtee as a backup in 2019.

Oct 30, 2007
https://newsok.com/article/5611054/mike-gundy-doesnt-envision-spencer-sanders-playing-this-season
“He’s practicing good. He’s doing well. I’m not a big fan of playing freshman quarterbacks, because I think they’re prone to injury, and that scares me. Maybe I’m a little soft in that area.”

This is a quote from Coach Gundy from mid-season in regards to playing Spencer Sanders. It's very possible that Spencer Sanders was the 2nd best, or even the very best quarterback we had on campus last year. But he wasn't going to play him as a true freshman.

Coach Gundy has never liked playing true freshman at quarterback. He proved that back in 2014 when he started Garman over Rudolph. The irony to it all is that Coach Gundy took over the starting role midway through his freshman season.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006

If it did, Sanders would be ahead of Brown. Gundy would rather have burned a redshirt on Sanders before Brown. If Browns redshirt was burned, Gundy would only have Wudtee as a backup in 2019.

No, he would have Costello, too. Try again.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

No, he would have Costello, too. Try again.
Costello was never a consideration since he didn’t sign until December. Regardless, Gundy would want experience on the roster going into 2019, not totally burned in 2018.

How often do you make things up?

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Costello was never a consideration since he didn’t sign until December. Regardless, Gundy would want experience on the roster going into 2019, not totally burned in 2018.

Costello committed in June and never wavered so he was a consideration for 2019 as much if not more so than Sanders was for 2018. As it is, Gundy now has less experience going into 2019 than he had in 2018. At least Cornelius had a little Big 12 experience. Going into 2019 Brown has one snap more than he had in 2018. And I don’t make things up. I am just more observant than you. BTW, why didn’t you stick around the AV?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Costello committed in June and never wavered so he was a consideration for 2019 as much if not more so than Sanders was for 2018. As it is, Gundy now has less experience going into 2019 than he had in 2018. At least Cornelius had a little Big 12 experience. Going into 2019 Brown has one snap more than he had in 2018. And I don’t make things up. I am just more observant than you. BTW, why didn’t you stick around the AV?
Again, the QB depth chart was based solely on who was best prepared and in best position to deliver a win. Redshirt thoughts were not part of the equation as you said.