Interesting thought...Spencer Sanders

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 18, 2009
I was listening to the Sports Animal and Big O and Coach Jones were talking about if Spencer is not the starter by midseason, they would expect him to enter transfer portal. I think we all agree that this kind of dialogue is not positive for a 2nd tier school like OSU but it is reality. They mentioned he may leave if not named starter after spring ball. With Gundy we know he will not name a starter before the season starts.

What got me thinking a bit ago is, "what if Gundy redshirted SS and DB to keep them from having the leverage to leave? If they played and did well then lost their spot or struggled or got benched, they could leave/transfer, RS a yr then play. By taking their RS season, does anyone think this could've been a possible strategy as they both developed and got stronger?"
I don't think that was ever part of Gundy's strategy, and I would absolutely hope that it wasn't. Regarding the top paragraph, I think SS is gone if he's not the man. I would leave too and would pull my son in the same situation. But that's just me. Life is too short not to even get a chance and you can't leave it up to anyone else.

Last edited:

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
That’s hardly the point. QBs that display great skill and success at one level can be an utter failure at the next level despite the overwhelming assessment they are can’t miss.

Of course you know this..........I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your point that good college qb's flopped in the NFL is hardly the point either. The subject is Spencer Sanders as a college qb. I guess I didn't "snark" enough.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
That’s hardly the point. QBs that display great skill and success at one level can be an utter failure at the next level despite the overwhelming assessment they are can’t miss.

Of course you know this..........I thought.

Your point that good college qb's flopped in the NFL is hardly the point either. The subject is Spencer Sanders as a college qb. I guess I didn't "snark" enough.
Since my comparison was a little over your head........

How about the following Gatorade Players of the Year that flopped in college:
QBs
S Robinson
S Young
R Dodge
G Gilbert

Other positions
T Dixon WR
J Gray RB
J Adams DE
D Hickson RB

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

QBs
S Robinson
S Young
R Dodge
G Gilbert

Other positions
T Dixon WR
J Gray RB
J Adams DE
D Hickson RB

Robinson was hurt this past season. His Freshman year he helped them win a couple of games when Kenny Hill struggled.

Dodge had a good career at North Texas... But it's hard to overcome being at North Texas.

Gilbert had a great career at SMU. Set school records. Held a backup spot on an NFL roster for several years.

So... Really... There's only one bust there.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

QBs
S Robinson
S Young
R Dodge
G Gilbert

Other positions
T Dixon WR
J Gray RB
J Adams DE
D Hickson RB

Not over my head at all. Using good college qb's who were nfl busts is a horrible comparison as to why SS might not be a good college qb.

J.Gray is a pretty horrible comparison as well. The kid was national player of the year, then tore his Achilles twice while at UT.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

QBs
S Robinson
S Young
R Dodge
G Gilbert

Other positions
T Dixon WR
J Gray RB
J Adams DE
D Hickson RB

Robinson was hurt this past season. His Freshman year he helped them win a couple of games when Kenny Hill struggled.

Dodge had a good career at North Texas... But it's hard to overcome being at North Texas.

Gilbert had a great career at SMU. Set school records. Held a backup spot on an NFL roster for several years.

So... Really... There's only one bust there.
Great, I’ll put you down as a happy fan if Sanders is able to achieve but not exceed the stupendous success of Riley Dodge’s (LOL) best year - 1975 yds, 9TDs and 15 int’s.

Just so you know, Taylor Cornelius had a WAY better year than any of the hacks listed above.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Great, I’ll put you down as a happy fan if Sanders is able to achieve but not exceed the success of Riley Dodge’s (LOL) best year - 1975 yds, 9TDs and 15 int’s.

Just so you know, Taylor Cornelius had a WAY better year than any of the hacks listed above.

And you called ME Mr. Snarkey.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Great, I’ll put you down as a happy fan if Sanders is able to achieve but not exceed the success of Riley Dodge’s (LOL) best year - 1975 yds, 9TDs and 15 int’s.

You already have me marked down in the event that Sanders fails.

I seriously cannot understand what your deal is here. You've explained it a couple of times... And it just doesn't make sense. It's like you're hell bent on making people realize that the odds are stacked against OSU, which is ultra bizzare for an OSU fan.

What situation would make you happy?

Oct 30, 2007
This is simpler than we're making it. Sanders & Brown will compete throughout spring & fall camp. They'll probably both get snaps during the non-conference schedule next season. By the time the conference schedule starts, we'll know who gives us the best chance to win.

My hope is that Spencer Sanders will step up and earn the starting role. That would be a lot better for our program since he has 4 years of eligibility, and Brown only has 1. But even if Sanders isn't ready, that doesn't mean he's a bust. Kyler Murray didn't do anything special until his redshirt junior season.

The one thing I'm worried about next season is injuries. We'll only have 3 scholarship quarterbacks on the roster, and I doubt Costello is ready to play. We could be in trouble if we can't stay healthy.
Injuries? That will not be an issue. Gundy has that solved, none of the mentioned QBs play and thus the they do not get injured. Your worries are over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I am missing your point, give me something I can say, "well maybe". Reid was replaced by Woods, Both were brought in under Les Miles. Woods was replaced by Robinson. Robinson got hurt and Cate obviously wasn't ready to play. Weeden was an unrated QB because he played MLB. Lunt started and got hurt, Walsh started and got hurt, Chelf came in. Half of your examples don't even correlate to the same players.
Reid replaced Woods.
Reid was replaced by Robinson.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If a RS freshman with 3 years of eligibility left transfers because he got beat out by a graduate transfer who is definitely gone next year, then I'm not sure how that makes a lot of sense. Now if Costello comes in and wins the starting job, then maybe I could understand it. But even then it's a complete guess because nobody knows what's going on in Sanders head except Sanders. He may relish the competition and want to stay, you just never know. Sounds like offseason talk radio doing what offseason talk radio does. ;)

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

You already have me marked down in the event that Sanders fails.

I seriously cannot understand what your deal is here. You've explained it a couple of times... And it just doesn't make sense. It's like you're hell bent on making people realize that the odds are stacked against OSU, which is ultra bizzare for an OSU fan.

What situation would make you happy?
I would GUESS Sanders will start next season as QB1.
But, will I proclaim him the starter because I KNOW HCMG and OCSG assessment of the QBs on Sep 1 will result in Sanders being the QB on the roster that gives us the best chance to win? No, because I understand people (coaches, scouts, fans, proclaimed experts, etc...) can wildly misevaluate the true capabilities of players, especially QBs at all levels of competition. It’s happened thousands of times.
Most everybody can see if a QB has an arm, is accurate, and can run. But that’s not where people misevaluate. It’s a QBs ability to process and quickly and confidently make good decisions and then successfully apply his physical tools in executing on those decisions that determine a QBs success. That’s something a coach (and certainly a fan) cannot KNOW until a QB is put into repeated competitive situations at the level of expected competition.
Fans can sit here all day and proclaim Sanders the best QB on the roster (and starter) because they think they KNOW. But they don’t KNOW, they’re guessing just like every college recruiting evaluator and NFL scout “GUESSES” at the relative capabilities of thousands of players every year. History has shown they get it wrong quite often.
Always KNOW what you DON’T KNOW, you’re less likely to make inaccurate proclamations.

Last edited:

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
But, will I proclaim him the starter because I KNOW HCMG and OCSG assessment of the QBs on Sep 1 will result in Sanders being the QB on the roster that gives us the best chance to win? No, because I understand people (coaches, scouts, fans, proclaimed experts, etc...) can wildly misevaluate the true capabilities of players, especially QBs at all levels of competition. It’s happened thousands of times.
Most everybody can see if a QB has an arm, is accurate, and can run. But that’s not where people misevaluate. It’s a QBs ability to process and quickly and confidently make good decisions and then successfully apply his physical tools in executing on those decisions that determine a QBs success. That’s something a coach (and certainly a fan) cannot KNOW until a QB is put into repeated competitive situations at the level of expected competition.
Fans can sit here all day and proclaim Sanders the best QB on the roster (and starter) because they think they KNOW. But they don’t KNOW, they’re guessing just like every college recruiting evaluator and NFL scout “GUESSES” at the relative capabilities of thousands of players every year. History has shown they get it wrong quite often.
Always KNOW what you DON’T KNOW, you’re less likely to make inaccurate proclamations.

Ahh so we've spent like 50 posts on this because of semantics. Love the offseason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Dru Brown is better than Sanders, we are in for another 6-6 regular season, at best (probably worse actually).

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

ahhhhhhhhhhh, so you're on here simply to save the ignorant masses from making the grave mistake of expressing their opinion on next years starter at QB, ON A MESSAGE BOARD no less, so that we might all be spared from the humiliation of Dru Brown or Costello being named starter. you, sir, are a saint...... how can we ever repay you? i mean seriously, how can we even justify being on the same, FREE, message board forum w/ someone w/ such profound, and superior opinions, as yourself. i've spoken too much now. i shall go hide in shame...........

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Ahh so we've spent like 50 posts on this because of semantics. Love the offseason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Dru Brown is better than Sanders, we are in for another 6-6 regular season, at best (probably worse actually).
truth^

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

See, there you go. Proclaiming Brown incapable of producing a winning team.

SMH

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso

SMH

I think he's pretty well shown that himself honestly.

Would you like it better if I said, "With Brown at QB it is very unlikely that we have a winning season" so it's not as absolute? That seems to be your issue here which is hilarious.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

SMH

I think he's pretty well shown that himself honestly.

Would you like it better if I said, "With Brown at QB it is very unlikely that we have a winning season" so it's not as absolute? That seems to be your issue here which is hilarious.
Say what you want.

But I don’t think it’s unlikely at all. I would guess we’re 8-10 win team with either Brown or Sanders. But that’s just guessing about a QB with more experience and surrounding talent than we had last year.