Interesting thought...Spencer Sanders

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
I was listening to the Sports Animal and Big O and Coach Jones were talking about if Spencer is not the starter by midseason, they would expect him to enter transfer portal. I think we all agree that this kind of dialogue is not positive for a 2nd tier school like OSU but it is reality. They mentioned he may leave if not named starter after spring ball. With Gundy we know he will not name a starter before the season starts.

What got me thinking a bit ago is, "what if Gundy redshirted SS and DB to keep them from having the leverage to leave? If they played and did well then lost their spot or struggled or got benched, they could leave/transfer, RS a yr then play. By taking their RS season, does anyone think this could've been a possible strategy as they both developed and got stronger?"

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I was listening to the Sports Animal and Big O and Coach Jones were talking about if Spencer is not the starter by midseason, they would expect him to enter transfer portal. I think we all agree that this kind of dialogue is not positive for a 2nd tier school like OSU but it is reality. They mentioned he may leave if not named starter after spring ball. With Gundy we know he will not name a starter before the season starts.

What got me thinking a bit ago is, "what if Gundy redshirted SS and DB to keep them from having the leverage to leave? If they played and did well then lost their spot or struggled or got benched, they could leave/transfer, RS a yr then play. By taking their RS season, does anyone think this could've been a possible strategy as they both developed and got stronger?"
listening to the Sports Animal

That's the key phrase. That's where you made your mistake.

All seriousness aside, why not take it for granted that these guys came to camp late, and didn't have the time in system to be ready until Taylor had shown he could get it done? Or do you think that every coach is a Saban-esque jerk?

Apr 14, 2008
Texas

IF Gundy strategically planned that I would say that's simultaneously petty & genius

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Dru Brown will not get significant playing time at Oklahoma State. He is a distraction for those of you who have nothing better to do than to wring your hands over something you have no control or say over.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Dru Brown will not get significant playing time at Oklahoma State. He is a distraction for those of you who have nothing better to do than to wring your hands over something you have no control or say over.
Didn’t realize anyone (fan) had seen both Brown and Sanders operate our offense under the new OC. Tell us what you saw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2006
How do you know this? What are you basing this statement on? I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but I've not heard or seen anything to indicate this is the case.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Didn’t realize anyone (fan) had seen both Brown and Sanders operate our offense under the new OC. Tell us what you saw?

I've seen both play football and the talent level isn't even remotely close. Brown doesn't have the arm, accuracy, or foot speed that Sanders does by any stretch.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Midseason has nothing to do with anything. If Sanders is not happy at the end of next season, I doubt seriously he would transfer unless Costello starts taking Sanders practice snaps. If that’s the case and he doesn’t want to compete, so long.

Did Gundy orchestrate both Brown and Sanders redshirting to keep leverage. No way.

I wish people would just accept Gundy is going to play who HE thinks gives us the best chance to win. That literally answers every legitimate and illegitimate question you could ever dream up.

Oct 30, 2007
I don't see Spencer Sanders transferring. Even if Dru Brown beats him out next season, he'll be the clear favorite to start in 2020. If he transferred, he would have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility. Plus he would have to beat out whoever was ahead of him on the depth chart at his new school. I don't see any benefit to him transferring out.

If Sanders ever transfers, It will likely be because a younger player passes him on the depth chart. Like what happened with Jalen Hurts at Alabama.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I've seen both play football and the talent level isn't even remotely close. Brown doesn't have the arm, accuracy, or foot speed that Sanders does by any stretch.
You can fill a stadium with strong arm fast runners. Doesn’t make them a good QB. Remember Heath Shuler?

Mar 8, 2010
It's always amusing to hear the self-proclaimed experts on this board start their conversations by a "will not" or "will never" They've been proven wrong so many times but I admire their stick-to-it-tive-ness. Also heard many say Corndog would never be the starter last year. The only thing any of us know for sure is that Gundy is the most successful coach in OSU history and will start the q-back that he thinks gives us the best chance to win.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Sports radio makes its money by making nothing into something. It's football offseason and they're trying to fill air time. That's the whole story. And I agree with CTeam SS is better than Dru Brown.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
You can fill a stadium with strong arm fast runners. Doesn’t make them a good QB. Remember Heath Shuler?

Sure.

Just watch the highlights.

Sanders:
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3876525/57e8405411fa7f8074500306

Brown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2WJKovOMPE

They're highlights... so grain of salt... but you can see that Sanders has much better vision downfield than Brown does. He is better under pressure. Hits the comeback and out routes on the sideline well. Hits his receivers in stride on deep balls. Doesn't just toss it up and hope his receivers make a play, as Brown does.

There's just no contest here. Sanders is a better QB than Brown. Period.

Corndog was a much better QB than Brown too.

Jul 28, 2006
Spencer is going to start. It’s not even close. That’s just sports animal storing the pot. Spencer is the real deal. Not to mention his family is very orange. Kingfisher ranchers with deep roots. He didn’t come here because of Yurcich. He came here because he’s a Cowboy to the bone. He’s competitive and passionate about taking OSU to the next level. Oh and he’s really really good. You’ll see.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Sure.

Just watch the highlights.

Sanders:
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3876525/57e8405411fa7f8074500306

Brown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2WJKovOMPE

They're highlights... so grain of salt... but you can see that Sanders has much better vision downfield than Brown does. He is better under pressure. Hits the comeback and out routes on the sideline well. Hits his receivers in stride on deep balls. Doesn't just toss it up and hope his receivers make a play, as Brown does.

There's just no contest here. Sanders is a better QB than Brown. Period.

Corndog was a much better QB than Brown too.
You’re comparing high school hand picked highlights to Div I highlights?

And people want their expert evaluations to be taken seriously?

Tom Brady couldn’t start at OSU if he couldn’t get the team in the right play - which I understand has been an issue at least at some point(s) last fall.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
You’re comparing high school hand picked highlights to Div I highlights?

And people want their expert evaluations to be taken seriously?

Tom Brady couldn’t start at OSU if he couldn’t get the team in the right play - which I understand has been an issue at least at some point(s) last fall.

I watched full games... do you want me to post those too? Will you go watch them?

And yes... Dru Brown's more experienced and played in the Mountain West, where he put up some pretty lackluster numbers against some pretty lackluster competition. When he played teams with a pulse (Michigan, San Diego State, Arizona, Boise State) he did not play well. Their offensive production was awful. He couldn't get a pass off mostly because he got happy feet, scrambled around, and got sacked.

Sanders made far fewer mistakes in his games against his competition... which is 5A Texas football... which is a division alone that produced over 300 FBS football players in the 2018 signing class... So... enough to fill the rosters of the MWC teams.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. I am simply stating that Sanders is a much better QB than Brown for somebody that has a basic understanding of the game.

I've never claimed to be an expert. Ever. On anything. Even with wrestling, which is the sport I probably do know the most about... I'm not even remotely close to an expert.