Interesting Fox Article re: University of Wyoming's 'COWBOY'

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 1, 2011
Houston
We are living in a time of so much political correctness it is mind boggling, and quite frankly nauseating. For this to be happening in Wyoming, a state where you think they have some sense, is worrisome. It sounds like an Ivy League School, or Evergreen State College situation in Washington State instead of Wyoming. PC Like all new trends, started out with good intentions and then was/is run into the ground.

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
I think this is a great opportunity to educate people. Nearly 1/4 of cowboys in the "Old West" were African-American. They make up a proud part of our Western American heritage.

As one of the below article states:
"The most common image of the cowboy is a gun-toting, boot-wearing, white man - like John Wayne, or Clint Eastwood. But the Hollywood portrayal of the Wild West is a whitewashed version of the reality. It is thought that, on some Texas trails, about a quarter of cowboys were black."

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/lesser-known-history-african-american-cowboys-180962144/

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21768669

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
As I stated in the same thread topic in the News & Politics section...

Why should we be worried?

Nothing says white male privilege, classism, land theft and displacement of Native Americans quite like "Boomer Sooner!"

;)

Aug 31, 2013
This just gets my blood boiling... maybe more so because I am an actual cowboy and know what that are saying is completely ludicrous. I know plenty of real Native American, African American, and Mexican American cowboys that take pride in being called a cowboy.

Aug 16, 2012
I lived in Cheyenne from 75-78. When we left, my brother had been at UW for a year and he has never left. Still works at the University. The University is one of the most wound-up liberal strongholds in the US that gets no recognition as such because it is Laramie and not in the limelight. My brother makes people like Chuck Shumer look like Republicans (talking politics at Thanksgiving is a standing "no-no" in my mother's house). This outlash from the academic community at UW is not surprising to me at all.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I lived in Cheyenne from 75-78. When we left, my brother had been at UW for a year and he has never left. Still works at the University. The University is one of the most wound-up liberal strongholds in the US that gets no recognition as such because it is Laramie and not in the limelight. My brother makes people like Chuck Shumer look like Republicans (talking politics at Thanksgiving is a standing "no-no" in my mother's house). This outlash from the academic community at UW is not surprising to me at all.
Wow, just wow. I live 90 miles away in Boulder, and I had never heard this before, Not doubting you, just astonished.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Gender Indentifying Neutral Multicultural Bovine Guiders. Herding carries negative connatations regarding forcing things to go where they don't wish to. ANd it is triggering to some.

May 8, 2009
Germantown, TN
Gender Indentifying Neutral Multicultural Bovine Guiders. Herding carries negative connatations regarding forcing things to go where they don't wish to. ANd it is triggering to some.
I'd venture to guess that if you really drill down, what they want is to eliminate any reference to a patriarchal identification which is involved in the raising and harvesting of animal flesh while also contributing to global warming via their actions.

My drill down is that the UW admins and profs are effed in the head.....

Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
We are living in a time of so much political correctness it is mind boggling, and quite frankly nauseating. For this to be happening in Wyoming, a state where you think they have some sense, is worrisome. It sounds like an Ivy League School, or Evergreen State College situation in Washington State instead of Wyoming. PC Like all new trends, started out with good intentions and then was/is run into the ground.
It's a few nut jobs making commotion. Happens everywhere and we let. It's time for us to tell them to sit down and shut up and quit being weird.