Info Wars gets the Ban Hammer

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Apple, Facebook, Spotify and Youtube all announced today they were taking down Infowars content and banning them.

Alex Jones responded on Twitter calling Infowars a Conservative News outlet.
1533580644717.png

Mean While last week in law suits against Alex Jones in Texas his lawyers argued that Infowars and Alex Jones was just a persona or character that no reasonable person would believe.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Apple, Facebook, Spotify and Youtube all announced today they were taking down Infowars content and banning them.

Alex Jones responded on Twitter calling Infowars a Conservative News outlet.
View attachment 63010

Mean While last week in law suits against Alex Jones in Texas his lawyers argued that Infowars and Alex Jones was just a persona or character that no reasonable person would believe.
We are heading toward a slippery slope. This is scary.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
If you support the right for a private business to pick and chose who they provide services too then you have to support this move by these companies.

I'm not necessarily a fan of this move by these companies but I must support their right to refuse service

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
If you support the right for a private business to pick and chose who they provide services too then you have to support this move by these companies.

I'm not necessarily a fan of this move by these companies but I must support their right to refuse service
It is heading toward full out banning someone from talking.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
It is heading toward full out banning someone from talking.
How? He can still go stream live on his own website and can still set up and distribute his own podcast. Anyone who wants to hear Alex Jones still can in full capacity do so

He also can have his own app people can download and listen to directly from his site.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
What slope is that? A guy that just makes up fake information and disperses it as fact now has a more difficult route to take to disperse that information?

Nobody is banning the guy from talking... they're just making it more difficult for him to spread his lies through their channels, which is completely at the discretion of those businesses.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
What slope is that? A guy that just makes up fake information and disperses it as fact now has a more difficult route to take to disperse that information?

Nobody is banning the guy from talking... they're just making it more difficult for him to spread his lies through their channels, which is completely at the discretion of those businesses.
So it's ok to ban lies different from the lies the network agrees with? Jones is an absolute whack job but then I can name some equally "truth challenged" personalities of the other stripe.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Why now? Why not after sandy hook or 9/11? Is it because CNN said so? Why is everyone doing it at once?

For the record, I think he is an actor playing a caricature of a conservative talk radio host and I also would not know the sound of his voice if I heard it but this has the potential to go bad.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
So it's ok to ban lies different from the lies the network agrees with? Jones is an absolute whack job but then I can name some equally "truth challenged" personalities of the other stripe.
The network news stations primarily distribute their version of the news through their own channels. And while, yes, they have certainly relaxed their own journalistic standards to a point where they may not fact check to the level that they should... they also aren't straight making up news to troll the way that Alex Jones does, and has admitted to doing in recent court proceedings.

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
Why now? Why not after sandy hook or 9/11? Is it because CNN said so? Why is everyone doing it at once?

For the record, I think he is an actor playing a caricature of a conservative talk radio host and I also would not know the sound of his voice if I heard it but this has the potential to go bad.
Because he's in a lawsuit with the Sandy Hook victims' families. He's accused the families of faking their children's death.

He still has freedom of speech, but like all of us that doesn't mean there aren't consequences to what you say.

It baffles me that there are people that will defend this scumbag, but will vilify the kneeling NFL players.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Because he's in a lawsuit with the Sandy Hook victims' families. He's accused the families of faking their children's death.

He still has freedom of speech, but like all of us that doesn't mean there aren't consequences to what you say.

It baffles me that there are people that will defend this scumbag, but will vilify the kneeling NFL players.
Keep this shit elsewhere.

When did sandy hook happen? Why not then?

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I'll just leave it where it is. It's 100% relevant to the conversation...

Again, there is an ongoing lawsuit that has brought his Sandy Hook vile lies out from under the slums of the internet to the forefront. That is likely the reason to "why now".
Why not say that then? Why not say due to a recent lawsuit and not wanting your company dragged in? No. They said to combat hate speech. He violated content rules. Just now. Suddenly.

"Apple does not tolerate hate speech, and we have clear guidelines that creators and developers must follow to ensure we provide a safe environment for all of our users," an Apple spokesperson said in a statement on Monday.

"Podcasts that violate these guidelines are removed from our directory making them no longer searchable or available for download or streaming. We believe in representing a wide range of views, so long as people are respectful to those with differing opinions."

Why now? He has been what he has been for years.

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
Why not say that then? Why not say due to a recent lawsuit and not wanting your company dragged in? No. They said to combat hate speech. He violated content rules. Just now. Suddenly.

"Apple does not tolerate hate speech, and we have clear guidelines that creators and developers must follow to ensure we provide a safe environment for all of our users," an Apple spokesperson said in a statement on Monday.

"Podcasts that violate these guidelines are removed from our directory making them no longer searchable or available for download or streaming. We believe in representing a wide range of views, so long as people are respectful to those with differing opinions."

Why now? He has been what he has been for years.
I don't know man, but I bet if you dig long enough you'll find a conspiracy.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
The network news stations primarily distribute their version of the news through their own channels. And while, yes, they have certainly relaxed their own journalistic standards to a point where they may not fact check to the level that they should... they also aren't straight making up news to troll the way that Alex Jones does, and has admitted to doing in recent court proceedings.
I think on this occasion I somewhat agree given I can't stand Jones at about the same level I can't stand MSNBC. Plus I consider anyone an idiot who subscribes to either.

I consider Jones the Larry Flint of conservative thought.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I don't know man, but I bet if you dig long enough you'll find a conspiracy.
Free masons somewhere.

But it would suck if it were Bill Maher or John Oliver or Trevor Noah. Bill Maher is different, granted, he doesn't pretend to be news. A solid, believable excuse could have been ratings or the lawsuit. Fine and dandy. But removing decade old content in a coordinated way because it just now is against their content standards and cnn told them to stinks.

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
Free masons somewhere.

But it would suck if it were Bill Maher or John Oliver or Trevor Noah. Bill Maher is different, granted, he doesn't pretend to be news. A solid, believable excuse could have been ratings or the lawsuit. Fine and dandy. But removing decade old content in a coordinated way because it just now is against their content standards and cnn told them to stinks.
I'm unaware of what those three did that's comparable to saying that parents of gunned down 6 year olds are faking their deaths.