If you're curious OU fans are about as much to blame for the fall of their wrestling program as anyone.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
There's a marked difference between putting emphasis on lesser sports and not wanting to be bought and is best to make it appearpaid for (please save all the rhetoric it is all there in b&w).
Iba didn't necessarily choose the former but he did choose not to pursue the latter.
If fans have nothing to do with, why do all the mid 30's to mid 60's ou fans tweet at hs football players like teenagers at a pop star, just wondering.
Well said...tg does his best to try to make it appear Iba was the same, just not as successful as the cheaters and liars that have built payola u to where it is today. Iba played by the rules, of course that's an unknown term in norman.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
You could put that stamp on any big D1...it's all about football and in some cases basketball, that's it. Not taking anything away from any other sport, all college athletes are amazing, and it's even tougher on them today. All should be commended.
There you go, taking the gooner dodge. Because other huge schools can rationalize cheating it somehow makes it acceptable for payola u...good one.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Still, wrestling is boring. It just is what it is. This country runs on football and basketball and to a lesser degree baseball. And even baseball has lost a lot of popularity over the years. Hockey, soccer, golf, tennis far below those. Then we have the ancillary stuff that mostly exists in college and the olympics like gymnastics, softball, and to a lesser degree wrestling. It's at best a 4th tier sport. Not to suggest it's not difficult, and a gladiator type sport. It just doesnt move the needle like the popular sports do. Even boring ass golf is where you dont even directly compete against anyone is more intriguing.
It's always tougher when you aren't very good...that's where actual "fans" come in...they still support their athlete's efforts.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Just something that happens a lot. you think this is just OU fans? This is a thing that happens all over the country. You see it a little in basketball too. In the old days you'd have to creep on a player in real life, at least this is a bit less personal
I don't think it's unique to anyone, my question was, if fans don't matter (as tg implies), why bother?
I think, don't know, Poke fans are less inclined to do it than sooner fans but they still do it as does every fan base (some are more - let's just say - enthusiastic about it), again, if it doesn't matter, why do it?
tg replied as a teenager would and that's not really all that surprising, I suspect he/she is quite active on social media trying to woo teenagers to Norman even though by the looks of his/her prior post he/she knows a lot of people who went to ou (notice he/she didn't say attended school or graduated from ou or anywhere for that matter) and a lot of people who like ou athletics, which by the very nature of how it's worded would imply he/she didn't, btw if it weren't for non alum fans there would be 3 or 4 schools that dominate ncaa sports and ou wouldn't be one nor would OSU so that's not really a big deal unless you specifically claim or implicitly imply otherwise.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Let’s not forget that this entire thread was made possible thanks to the little brother syndrome OSU fans have because they can’t get a leg up on OU in football.

The casual fan doesn’t give a rats ass about wrestling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Nobody cares about wrestling. Or badminton or a lot of other tertiary sports. Theyre fun to play i am sure, but they certainly dont move the needle. This country runs on football, basketball and baseball.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I've always thought golf was about as exciting as watching two flies have sex with eachother. golf popularity is nothing like the big sports though. not in the US. So i guess no, the answer to your question is no.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Let’s not forget that this entire thread was made possible thanks to the little brother syndrome OSU fans have because they can’t get a leg up on OU in football.

The casual fan doesn’t give a rats ass about wrestling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then apparently we have something in common, little brother vs little pussy. Casual fan...what a pathetic weasel you are. You apparently liken serious fan to sucking sooner weiner.
No dodge just the fact....but I know it's only other colleges..never at Boone U.
Count major infractions wussy, we have almost half.Again, payola u striving to be #1

Jul 12, 2012
My opinion has always been that if the U of O is going to field a team then the goal should be to compete at a championship level. It should especially be so with wrestling where OU and this state have such a great tradition. It may sound corny but I think OU owes it to not only those who came before in the program but also OSU and the state of Oklahoma to have a competitive team. It's insulting not to be competitive in this sport.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
My opinion has always been that if the U of O is going to field a team then the goal should be to compete at a championship level. It should especially be so with wrestling where OU and this state have such a great tradition. It may sound corny but I think OU owes it to not only those who came before in the program but also OSU and the state of Oklahoma to have a competitive team. It's insulting not to be competitive in this sport.
I feel so bad for wrestling fans everywhere