If you're curious OU fans are about as much to blame for the fall of their wrestling program as anyone.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The lady that tweeted about "urban communities" not caring about wrestling lives in a city of 150k people.... that's not an urban community. It's suburban if it's near a real city and might be a standalone media market in a shitty state like Mississippi.

What an idiot.

And wrestling's national championships are on national TV every year. The sport is gaining popularity. It would be nice to see the "pro" level take off a little bit more so that it's as big here as it is in other parts of the world... but to claim that it is losing popularity is just ridiculous when the opposite is true in the south. It's growing pretty quickly in North Texas (a real urban area with over 7 million people) and has produced a handful of AAs. It's also growing quite a bit in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida (particularly because Nick Saban has come out and said he wants to recruit wrestlers).

To claim the sport is failing and will lose more programs is asinine. With the rise of the women's side of the sport coming along (ESPECIALLY in Texas, Oklahoma, and Canada) I think we will see a big resurgence in popularity as it will go back to being a positive for Title IX.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I dunno, wrestling has never been really popular, so even if it is gaining popularity, it's still not moving the needle. If tv ratings have anything to say about it's popularity, it seems that the sport is not gaining popularity, but is rather losing what tiny bit of people who actually care about the sport.

NCAA WRESTLING FINALS HITS SIX-YEAR LOW
The final night of the NCAA wrestling championships had a 0.34 rating and 628,000 viewers on ESPN2 Saturday night, down 8% in ratings and 15% in viewership from last year (0.37, 735K) and down 6% and 4% respectively from 2016 (0.36, 655K). It was the smallest audience for the final night since 2012 (554K). Prior to this year, the final night aired on ESPN.

List of sports more popular than wrestling (based on viewership averages)
Womens softball world series- 1.58 million viewers.
Wnba finals - 902k viewers
womens british open - 1.1 million
Us figure skating championships- 2.81 million
US men's soccer- 819,000
nathan's hot dog eating contest- 1.1 million
Scripps spelling bee- 859,000
etc etc

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
I dunno, wrestling has never been really popular, so even if it is gaining popularity, it's still not moving the needle. If tv ratings have anything to say about it's popularity, it seems that the sport is not gaining popularity, but is rather losing what tiny bit of people who actually care about the sport.

NCAA WRESTLING FINALS HITS SIX-YEAR LOW
The final night of the NCAA wrestling championships had a 0.34 rating and 628,000 viewers on ESPN2 Saturday night, down 8% in ratings and 15% in viewership from last year (0.37, 735K) and down 6% and 4% respectively from 2016 (0.36, 655K). It was the smallest audience for the final night since 2012 (554K). Prior to this year, the final night aired on ESPN.

List of sports more popular than wrestling (based on viewership averages)
Womens softball world series- 1.58 million viewers.
Wnba finals - 902k viewers
womens british open - 1.1 million
Us figure skating championships- 2.81 million
US men's soccer- 819,000
nathan's hot dog eating contest- 1.1 million
Scripps spelling bee- 859,000
etc etc
If you want to frame it as just the final, which was moved over to ESPN2 from the year prior which was on ESPN that's accurate that ratings dropped,, but if you tack on the rest of the weekend they do 8,000,000+ in a 3 day tournament which is massively higher than what the gymnastic NCAA tournament did and was the sport the lady said was more popular than wrestling.

Almost all those events you just referenced are multiple day events. I don't think anyone's trying to say wrestling's some major revenue sport, but you have to consider the other three days if you're comparing it to a WNBA series or softball series, or any other series vs. just a 2 hour final.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-...ling-championships-reaches-8-million-viewers/

And again it's that exact tone that OU fans bring that no one cares about wrestling and framing it to look as though it's worse than it really is to win a Bedlam argument that has helped to absolutely crush a historically top 5 program that has more resources than 90% of other wrestling programs.

Last edited:

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I'm not saying nobody cares about it. I'm suggesting it's one of the less interesting, less popular sports. Like, badminton or water polo. My feelings on this do not have any relation to the university I root for in other sports. I recognize OU has had some great wrestling teams over the years and meh. so what. they have volleyball and i havent went to any of their matches either. Its good that you like wrestling, someone has to.

orngblkzebra

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
Then why bother discussing it.
"Oh look, a thread about wrestling, let me go in there and push the convo back around to how great a football program ok has...".
Try not clicking. And just stick to the football threads if that's the only sport you respect/watch.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
I don’t know if fans have anything to do with it. It’s the university’s commitment to excelling in it. Iba made it a point to put emphasis on the “lesser” sports to draw attention to the school. And it seems to be continuing today for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
I don’t know if fans have anything to do with it. It’s the university’s commitment to excelling in it. Iba made it a point to put emphasis on the “lesser” sports to draw attention to the school. And it seems to be continuing today for the most part.

That's the thing though. Historically OU is a very good wrestling program and currently they put a lot of money into it comparative to other wrestling programs. Also have a well respected coach. They still can't recruit for crap right now. Any chance it's cause their fans mock it? I'd guess that plays a role.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Highly doubtful. I know a ton of people who like OU athletics and a ton of people who went there. I can’t remember the last time I remember them mentioning the wrestling program.

It’s okay for OK State to be good in a sport and Oklahoma not be. Just realize that hardly anyone will give a shit unless you’re talking a football and occasionally basketball.

Dec 8, 2013
Houston
OU gymnastics both male and female best of the best. Seems the point is well made that wrestling over all just doesn't draw a big audience, no matter which college you are talking about.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
OU gymnastics both male and female best of the best. Seems the point is well made that wrestling over all just doesn't draw a big audience, no matter which college you are talking about.
Amazing...total of 16 schools TOTAL have gymnastics... wrestling...76 Div 1A alone...uh huh, I get it. payola u is amazing and gymnastics rules. :lol:

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Highly doubtful. I know a ton of people who like OU athletics and a ton of people who went there. I can’t remember the last time I remember them mentioning the wrestling program.

It’s okay for OK State to be good in a sport and Oklahoma not be. Just realize that hardly anyone will give a shit unless you’re talking a football and occasionally basketball.

What you are really saying is that younger people who follow uo sports have no appreciation for OU's wrestling history, that's really too bad it is long, illustrious, it's a shame, and frankly an indictment of the school's athletic department (at one point the bedlam wrestling series was likely the most fiercely fought sporting event in the college ranks regardless of sport) that folks don't understand.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
What you are really saying is that younger people who follow uo sports have no appreciation for OU's wrestling history, too bad it is long and illustrious and that's a shame and, frankly an indictment of the school's athletic department, at one point the bedlam wrestling series was likely the most fiercely fought sporting event in the college ranks, that folks don't understand.
Reminds me of a time in payola u football when professors complained that football was all the President cared about, funded...the President agreed. Why would young okie u fans give a crap, football is still where most of the "money" is spent. What uo fans forget is it actually takes athletes to compete in ANY sport...not just football.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Still, wrestling is boring. It just is what it is. This country runs on football and basketball and to a lesser degree baseball. And even baseball has lost a lot of popularity over the years. Hockey, soccer, golf, tennis far below those. Then we have the ancillary stuff that mostly exists in college and the olympics like gymnastics, softball, and to a lesser degree wrestling. It's at best a 4th tier sport. Not to suggest it's not difficult, and a gladiator type sport. It just doesnt move the needle like the popular sports do. Even boring ass golf is where you dont even directly compete against anyone is more intriguing.

Dec 8, 2013
Houston
Reminds me of a time in payola u football when professors complained that football was all the President cared about, funded...the President agreed. Why would young okie u fans give a crap, football is still where most of the "money" is spent. What uo fans forget is it actually takes athletes to compete in ANY sport...not just football.
You could put that stamp on any big D1...it's all about football and in some cases basketball, that's it. Not taking anything away from any other sport, all college athletes are amazing, and it's even tougher on them today. All should be commended.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom

There's a marked difference between putting emphasis on lesser sports and not wanting to be bought and paid for (please save all the rhetoric it is all there in b&w).
Iba didn't necessarily choose the former but he did choose not to pursue the latter.
If fans have nothing to do with, why do all the mid 30's to mid 60's ou fans tweet at hs football players like teenagers at a pop star, just wondering.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Just something that happens a lot. you think this is just OU fans? This is a thing that happens all over the country. You see it a little in basketball too. In the old days you'd have to creep on a player in real life, at least this is a bit less personal

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark

There's a marked difference between putting emphasis on lesser sports and not wanting to be bought and paid for (please save all the rhetoric it is all there in b&w).
Iba didn't necessarily choose the former but he did choose not to pursue the latter.
If fans have nothing to do with, why do all the mid 30's to mid 60's ou fans tweet at hs football players like teenagers at a pop star, just wondering.
So OSU wrestling fans tweet at the teenagers like they’re pop stars?