If you have any info on history ...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 28, 2008
Can you direct or link me to it?

I'd always heard about a 'scholarship society' formed in Nebraska to support football players who walked-on, but I'm not sure where I heard it and am finding nothing online.

This recollection has it that the societies were ruled outside the rules of the NCAA and eventually disbanded.

Any help would be appreciated.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I saw an article a while back that Nebraska has had 25 walk ons drafted. If those 25 players were still walk ons at the end of their career, there might be something to this. Usually if somebody is that good, they earn a scholly at some point.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Can you direct or link me to it?

I'd always heard about a 'scholarship society' formed in Nebraska to support football players who walked-on, but I'm not sure where I heard it and am finding nothing online.

This recollection has it that the societies were ruled outside the rules of the NCAA and eventually disbanded.

Any help would be appreciated.
No link or anything like that but I do remember that after nu fired a guy, Solich, for winning 9 games a year, they brought in a guy from the nfl, he pretty much killed off the walk on fund, it was in a column I read when I was in Omaha, and dadgum near the football program, then they hired crazy Joe and he restarted the walk on fund. Now that he's gone I don't know but they did have a fund to help offset the costs of their walk on program from the BD years till pellini except for a few years under the nfl guy, Cunningham or Callahan don't recall. You might try searching for Nebraska walk on fund or something similar.

Nov 28, 2008
My recollection is that they took a kid from every county in the state as a walk-on.
Sort of mine too, qualified by ones who wanted to go.

But unlike the others posts, my recollection has it that the "scholarship" was awarded to a walk-on as-if that player was receiving one for academic support, but was ruled (somehow?) to be nothing more than a sham for an athletic one. Once the walk-on proved their mettle on the gridiron, the player would be put on a football scholarship and count against the limits.

I was always impressed favorably with their walk-on program, but it didn't make total sense that they could get so many. My recollection has it that truth came into the light once this program was revealed.

May 20, 2010
Bethel Acres, OK
My understanding of this was that the Nebraska State Legislature established the Scholarship fund and choose winners from each county of the State. The scholarship gave free tuition to person from each county to attend a state college in Nebraska. Occasinally the scholarship would go to an athlete who attended NU who would then walk-on the football team.

Nov 28, 2008
My understanding of this was that the Nebraska State Legislature established the Scholarship fund and choose winners from each county of the State. The scholarship gave free tuition to person from each county to attend a state college in Nebraska. Occasinally the scholarship would go to an athlete who attended NU who would then walk-on the football team.
THANKS! That was my understanding too. But that it transmogrified into a surreptitious way to award a football scholly in many, many cases.