If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Here I'll reiterate my earlier questions:
  1. What do you suppose is included in "use our voices... to... ultimately create a college football players' association"?
  2. Do you suppose that list of demands that includes getting paid has something to do with that?
  3. By tweeting do you suppose Justin Fields wants that, or he just wants to play?
  4. Or is it just a statement that only means they want to play?
  5. If he only wants to play and doesn't want the other stuff, why include it?

1) sounds like they want to create a players association. I will take the players at their word.

2) You continue and continue to confuse #wewanttoplay with #weareunited. I’ve explained this previously. ”We are United” was started by 17 PAC-12 players. It was started at end of July when those players thought the PAC-12 was playing and they had leverage. That group was demanding coaches salaries be cut and for players to get 50% of revenue.
”We want to play” has never had anything about being paid.

3) Yes, I think he wants to play. I think his petition, that you first referenced, shows that. I will take the player at his word.

4) I think it means he wants to play and he wants the conference to allow people to opt out without hurting eligiblity. I think he want people to have the right to choose if they want to play this fall. I will take the player at his word.

5) Yes he wants to play. He is also showing support for the small amount of players that may choose to opt out. Sounds very supportive to me.

Now my question to you:
1) You stated that “#wewanttoplay hashtag also was from hundreds of college athletes who want to unionize and get paid”. Can you supply any evidence support the claim about demanding to get paid?

2) You stated that #wewantoplay and #weareunited was the same movement and started at the same time. Since #weareunited started in July, are you claiming #wewanttoplay also stated then, but was just publicly silent for two weeks?

3) If #wewanttoplay includes demands to be paid, why are they not public about it? If Justin Fields was demanding to be paid, why wouldn’t he include that on his tweet, why wouldn’t he include that on his moveon.com petition, why wouldn’t he include that while pushing #wewanttoplay?
You continue to ignore the article that says that by midnight the day the two hashtags had appeared they had joined together.

If it does not fit, you must forget.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The Big 10 could start their season as early as late fall.

All they have to do is go ahead and move it up to September and they will join the rest of us. I'm glad they are looking at moving it up. That's a good sign for their student athletes that really want to play this season. Especially the kids at places like Ohio State, Nebraska, Iowa, and Penn State among others.

Oct 30, 2007
All they have to do is go ahead and move it up to September and they will join the rest of us. I'm glad they are looking at moving it up. That's a good sign for their student athletes that really want to play this season. Especially the kids at places like Ohio State, Nebraska, Iowa, and Penn State among others.
Big 10 players and their parents are starting to lawyer up. A lawsuit was filed against the conference yesterday. My guess is that the conference will want to announce a season start date soon in hopes of quelling the uprising.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
They have nothing to lose by planning a November, or even late October, start date. Either the other conferences will prove it can be done, meaning no reason not to. Or the other conferences will prove it can't be done, making it an easy decision to cancel.

Nov 6, 2010
The more I think about this, the more I'm coming around to the notion that the safest place for the players is actively participating and being constantly monitored by the medical staff, etc. If they're not doing that, they'll be out among the general student body partying, etc. The real issue to me is the fans. And with games being played outdoors with drastically reduced seating and no tailgating, I really don't see playing as a big problem. I guess maybe the bars will be packed if no tailgating, but that's about the only downside I can think of. It will be fun watching the Huskers play a game in Lincoln in January or February, fans will be keeling over from hypothermia.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The more I think about this, the more I'm coming around to the notion that the safest place for the players is actively participating and being constantly monitored by the medical staff, etc. If they're not doing that, they'll be out among the general student body partying, etc. The real issue to me is the fans. And with games being played outdoors with drastically reduced seating and no tailgating, I really don't see playing as a big problem. I guess maybe the bars will be packed if no tailgating, but that's about the only downside I can think of. It will be fun watching the Huskers play a game in Lincoln in January or February, fans will be keeling over from hypothermia.
Interesting. I think of fun like hiking and finding cool stuff off a beaten path, going on roller coasters, watching a Will Ferrell movie, or playing basketball with some friends.

I guess we all have our own version of fun.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Big 10 players and their parents are starting to lawyer up. A lawsuit was filed against the conference yesterday. My guess is that the conference will want to announce a season start date soon in hopes of quelling the uprising.
I don't think they would have legal standing to sue unless the universities were attempting to withhold education.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I don't think they would have legal standing to sue unless the universities were attempting to withhold education.
All they need is for a judge to allow it to continue enough to get discovery phase and they'll show that there was no vote and no real basis.

Or they may show a bias to give Dem's ammo against Trump - "he took college football away from us"

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The talk was that in January the games are going to be played inside domed facilities only. As for moving it up even further than Thanksgiving, they can't because their players haven't even had a chance to start fall camp let alone be prepared for games.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The talk was that in January the games are going to be played inside domed facilities only. As for moving it up even further than Thanksgiving, they can't because their players haven't even had a chance to start fall camp let alone be prepared for games.

Nebraska was practicing. I believe they just delayed full contact practices. A full month of practice seems pretty feasible for an October start.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Nebraska was practicing. I believe they just delayed full contact practices. A full month of practice seems pretty feasible for an October start.
I'm just going by what they said on the radio this afternoon.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I'm just going by what they said on the radio this afternoon.

That who said? Sports talk is like anything else, there are a bunch of idiots out there who talk out of their butts. Having just listened to the Nebraska chancellor, I would guess october is feasible, but the B1G wants to wait until multiple games are played in other conferences to make a decision. If it goes well, they'll start planning for a restart. They may not make that decision until late September which is why it won't be possible to push it up much from Thanksgiving. Still, they could do October if they started planning and committing now.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
All they need is for a judge to allow it to continue enough to get discovery phase and they'll show that there was no vote and no real basis.

Or they may show a bias to give Dem's ammo against Trump - "he took college football away from us"
If they don't have standing, that is, if they can't show that they have been that they have actually been harmed by the season being postponed from Fall to Spring, the judge cannot allow the case to continue. Lacking standing means that they have no legal basis to file a suit in the first place.

Even if they somehow have standing, what is the legal remedy? Do you think the courts can force other players to play in order to remedy these 8? The only thing the court could do would be to assess damages and give a monetary award.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm just listening to this now, haven't finished it.
Edit: Not much decided, judge basically put off any decision until next week. Still interesting to hear the arguments, somebody more knowledgeable in law than I will have to say whether they have standing or not.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Word is leaking out that the Big 10 plans to vote on whether or not to have a fall season tomorrow. They could start as early as October 10th.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Word is leaking out that the Big 10 plans to vote on whether or not to have a fall season tomorrow. They could start as early as October 10th.

The problem with the re-vote, as I see it, is that it's a bit of a lose-lose scenario for the Chancellors/Presidents. Do you re-vote & basically say 'yeah, our decision 2 weeks ago was completely hasty, disorganized & rushed, we blew it", or god forbid, they have a real problem with outbreaks that shuts the season down, then the outrage police will want 'em hanged in the campus square.

I still say they went way too early with their decision & should have waited.