If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
i could see a scenario where conferences decide not to play football, but some teams in those conferences decide theyre playing anyway, even if they have to go it alone.

If the SEC, as expected, plays football, i dont see fsu, clemson, and ohio state being okay with not playing.

So maybe OU decides not to play, and that through Oklahoma politics that stops Oklahoma state from playing. kansas has little to gain from playing.

Austin is liberal.

Maybe it's just kstate, WVU, and texas tech, tcu baylor, and iowa state from the big 12 that play. they would have to schedule teams like Notre Dame(who says they are 100 percent playing), Ohio State, and sec teams. I think mac teams would play power 5 teams bc they're financial lives depend on those games.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out. WVU's president has said wvu is absolutely going to play fall football. There are no ifs and buts.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
i could see a scenario where conferences decide not to play football, but some teams in those conferences decide theyre playing anyway, even if they have to go it alone.

If the SEC, as expected, plays football, i dont see fsu, clemson, and ohio state being okay with not playing.

So maybe OU decides not to play, and that through Oklahoma politics that stops Oklahoma state from playing. kansas has little to gain from playing.

Austin is liberal.

Maybe it's just kstate, WVU, and texas tech, tcu baylor, and iowa state from the big 12 that play. they would have to schedule teams like Notre Dame(who says they are 100 percent playing), Ohio State, and sec teams. I think mac teams would play power 5 teams bc they're financial lives depend on those games.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out. WVU's president has said wvu is absolutely going to play fall football. There are no ifs and buts.
TV contracts are with who?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

Austin is liberal.

Yeah, not happening.

Jan 20, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ

Austin is liberal.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

Austin is liberal.

He said that in May. If your opinions on the pandemic haven't shifted at least a little since May, there might be something wrong with you.

Feb 18, 2009
There are 4 companies touting successful trials and potential treatments by end of Aug/early Sept. added to what has been learned about the virus It seems way too early to be cancelling anything.

There is a month off between Thanksgiving/conference championships and bowl games. There is an additional two weeks off in playoffs. Teams could easily be playing in that month and the players aren’t even in class then which is more efficient for them. We could have shifted, instead it’s “shut down everything again, consequences be damned!”

The current reactionary approach is unsustainable. The impact to OSU for not playing football is $70 million according to Coach Holder. The impact to Stillwater is just as huge if not more so over 6 home games. Now extrapolate that out over the entire county and every small college town that thrives on its host. The cost is staggering and will be felt for years.

I’m not playing down the virus but we cannot continue to be so myopic in our approach. It’s a mutually inclusive situation which means real solutions require looking at this from all angles. Cancelling non-con schedules at this point or prognostication that we should just close everything "until we have a cure" is premature at best. There must be an attack strategy and endgame. That’s life.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011

Austin is liberal.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
There are 4 companies touting successful trials and potential treatments by end of Aug/early Sept. added to what has been learned about the virus It seems way too early to be cancelling anything.

There is a month off between Thanksgiving/conference championships and bowl games. There is an additional two weeks off in playoffs. Teams could easily be playing in that month and the players aren’t even in class then which is more efficient for them. We could have shifted, instead it’s “shut down everything again, consequences be damned!”

The current reactionary approach is unsustainable. The impact to OSU for not playing football is $70 million according to Coach Holder. The impact to Stillwater is just as huge if not more so over 6 home games. Now extrapolate that out over the entire county and every small college town that thrives on its host. The cost is staggering and will be felt for years.

I’m not playing down the virus but we cannot continue to be so myopic in our approach. It’s a mutually inclusive situation which means real solutions require looking at this from all angles. Cancelling non-con schedules at this point or prognostication that we should just close everything forever isn’t good enough. There must be an attack strategy and endgame. That’s life.

For the record, the virus was on Campus in the fall and well before the spring break shut down. If you attended Bedlam or any of the basketball games you were exposed and you didn’t even know it. Think back to those events, including fall graduation. Think of all the people you were close to and interacted with, everything you to touched, etc. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
What the what? I would love to ask questions about this, but this is a thread about how ticket sales will be handled. The place for debating the reality of COVID-19 (or lack of reality) is elsewhere: http://www.orangepower.com/threads/covid-19.265925/

Feb 18, 2009
What the what? I would love to ask questions about this, but this is a thread about how ticket sales will be handled. The place for debating the reality of COVID-19 (or lack of reality) is elsewhere: http://www.orangepower.com/threads/covid-19.265925/unread
I am certainly not trying to derail but isn't the economic impact of not playing, loss of tickets sales, rollovers to next year when costs will inevitably go up all related to said ticket sales. I don't want any more convos about Covid, I am exhausted on those. I just think there are options on the table that would impact ticket holders and sales and it's like they don't even get considered. Like why not push back and use that time in Dec to make up for questions about Sept?

The title is "if football is cancelled" I didn't read that as ".....we're talking about how to handle tickets sales in this thread."

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I am certainly not trying to derail but isn't the economic impact of not playing, loss of tickets sales, rollovers to next year when costs will inevitably go up all related to said ticket sales. I don't want any more convos about Covid, I am exhausted on those. I just think there are options on the table that would impact ticket holders and sales and it's like they don't even get considered. Like why not push back and use that time in Dec to make up for questions about Sept?
Thank you. I think that generates a much different, and more productive, conversation than the previous post.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

I’m not playing down the virus but we cannot continue to be so myopic in our approach. It’s a mutually inclusive situation which means real solutions require looking at this from all angles. Cancelling non-con schedules at this point or prognostication that we should just close everything forever isn’t good enough. There must be an attack strategy and endgame. That’s life.

For the record, the virus was on Campus in the fall and well before the spring break shut down. If you attended Bedlam or any of the basketball games you were exposed and you didn’t even know it. Think back to those events, including fall graduation. Think of all the people you were close to and interacted with, everything you to touched, etc. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
So, a few things. Having a data monitoring milestone where you can declare likely effectiveness does not mean the drugs are widely available. Relative to vaccines, we have done very little to help prep manufacturing of these drugs.

The virus absolutely was not on campus last fall. Spring, yes, but not as widespread where most people were in contact and didn't know it. You have to get into conspiracy theories to make that claim and so far evidence is pointing to the virus having arrived in the US in December and likely on the west coast. It did not jump from one case in December (or even November) in California to most people being exposed in Stillwater before winter break. Just like in European soccer, college basketball games would have been major sources of outbreaks, and there just isn't much evidence of that. Let alone antibody testing, genetic mapping (tells you how much drift one strain has from another, which is a marker of time), and other epidemiological tools.

That said, I don't think college football will be entirely cancelled this year for the exact reasons you stated. It will likely be postponed and with 2 or so fewer games. Some college towns will get killed if it gets cancelled, especially if transmission spikes too much forcing universities to go online only again which would force postponement to the spring at a minimum. Getting spread under control until good therapeutics and/or vaccines are available are the best bet for sports this year.