If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I certainly wouldn’t wish that on any of those programs. My point is more that the Big 10 wanted to cancel/postpone the season but only wanted to do so if the others were going to follow. If they felt it was the right move they shouldn’t care what the other conferences do.
You know this exactly how?

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I just said I'm not responsible for your risk. You will need to decide that. If you want to stay locked down for the rest of your life because you're afraid of getting sick by all means that's your right. You have no say in my decision making process. NONE.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
You seem to be missing the point that your decisions affect other people, maybe many other people.

Mar 11, 2006
I want to be able to watch football but I am not willing to put the heath of others ahead of being able to watch football this fall.

Why am I concerned, because of this group.

The players, the coaches, assistants and of the off the field analysts (who are older), the equipment people and field crew, the refs, the cooks and cleaners who follow these groups around and all of their families. IMO this is just more than the players. That does not factor if any of them have family members that fall into a vulnerable group.
Fair enough. But what about all the youth that played in hundreds of games over the summer?? Those coaches, the players, the officials, the parents, the facility caretakers, etc. If we take all of P5 college football (minus full in-stadium attendance), we get only a small fraction of people compared to all the games played and practices/workouts that occurred.

Sports is sports. There is nothing magical about the virus that makes it more dangerous for college football players and officials than for club volleyball, AAU basketball, HS football players and officials. And there are MANY more of them than college football players. We are playing sports now!

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
You are deciding for these people now? I am ok with making decisions for myself, and I'm also ok with you making your own decisions. I'm not ok with you making the decision for me.

You can make whatever decisions you want. But, frankly, this is a case where the adults, the people with expertise in things like, I don't know, medicine, epidemiology, and law, need to make decisions that 18-22 year olds simply aren't capable of making for themselves. You guys are proving that with every "you can't decide for me" post when college football is nothing but entertainment to you. And this "you can't decide for me" selfishness is what has brought us to this place, where we teeter on the brink of not having football this fall, and maybe even not have any college sports at all for 20-21.

So, congrats. Mission accomplished. Well done. You got what you wanted.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
You all are assuming incorrectly that I don't take precautions. I haven't infected anyone because I have social distanced, avoided sick people, worn a mask, been responsible for my own health. Thats the risk I am willing to take. I understand that there is a very small chance that I could contract the virus despite all the precautions but that's the risk I'm willing to take. These are the decisions you need to make for yourself, I am saying you don't get to make them for me.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
You are deciding for these people now? I am ok with making decisions for myself, and I'm also ok with you making your own decisions. I'm not ok with you making the decision for me.

You can make whatever decisions you want. But, frankly, this is a case where the adults, the people with expertise in things like, I don't know, medicine, epidemiology, and law, need to make decisions that 18-22 year olds simply aren't capable of making for themselves. You guys are proving that with every "you can't decide for me" post when college football is nothing but entertainment to you. And this "you can't decide for me" selfishness is what has brought us to this place, where we teeter on the brink of not having football this fall, and maybe even not have any college sports at all for 20-21.

So, congrats. Mission accomplished. Well done. You got what you wanted.
If 18 to 22 year olds are incapable of making decisions for themselves then why would we allow them to vote?

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
This is the part that bothers me. I'm sure there is more we could have done, but my Bro in law was furloughed, my sis lost a large part of her business, I lost income, my son was sent home from school at spring break never to return, I couldn't get a hair cut, restaurants closed, church, movies, sports all stopped. This was supposed to be for 2 weeks while we "flattened the curve" The curve of new cases was flat, and deaths went down and the 2 weeks turned into 2 months. Okay, fine, all of that was necessary.

I just missed the part where we didn't take it seriously or half assed it. It was the most dramatic change we as a country have gone through since WW 2, so it sure felt like we took it seriously.

And BTW we have slowed it down. Whether we're talking new cases or deaths it is on the decline.
You know who didn’t listen and take precautions. We all know.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
We had a very disjointed governmental response that forced each state or even city to come up with its own set of rules in dealing with it. In addition large segments of the population either ignored the issue or actively tried to oppose any measure to limit the spread.

It's good that a lot of us did everything we could to keep it from spreading but without a coordinated federal response and no real punishment for people who defied stay at home orders it wasn't nearly enough. Maybe you should be bothered by that. You know people who sacrificed a lot for seemingly nothing. But don't be angry at the situation, be angry at those who were flippant about this and spreading instead of working with everyone else to get us through this.
Problem is those flippant people were everyone! Stop the flights. Thats xenophobia. Keep the flights going. They’re going to kill us all. You don’t need masks. You need masks. Business close. Protesters open. Don’t take this drug. Take this one. Sue for more drugs. Back room ppe deals.

If it weren’t for social media, I wouldn’t have been prepared before January while American media (our safeguard) was still harping on an impeachment that had already been decided. Seriously. That’s what American media was doing. Even the WHO was yelling about it at the end of December. It took till March before everyone in the US started being serious.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
You know this exactly how?
I’m not in those meetings, so like most of us I’m just seeing what is being reported. I have read a couple articles where writers are claiming the Big 10 Is recruiting other conferences to join them. Alternatively, some are claiming the ACC and SEC are recruiting the Big 12 to play.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/report-big-ten-cancels-football-season-per-anonymous-sources

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.us...ten-vote-cancel-report-conflicting-thamel/amp

Mar 11, 2006
I feel for the players. And for their parents who want to see their child play the sport they love.

Just like protesting magically protects you from COVID, a major college football game is apparently the exact opposite.

https://twitter.com/dannykanell/status/1292633071141957632?s=21

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So will a player that contracts COV when at home due to the season being cancelled be able to sue the Conference for canceling the season and thus being liable for putting him more at risk ?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
If 18 to 22 year olds are incapable of making decisions for themselves then why would we allow them to vote?

Personally, I wouldn't, but that has been decided by the courts. However, what we're talking about here isn't civics, it's sports which is entertainment to you. And the fact of the matter is that the complexities and unknowns here are beyond what they are capable of deciding for themselves when entertainment is concerned.

But convince me otherwise... Go to McAlester Regional Medical Center. Go to the COVID ward. Visit a COVID patient. Without a mask. Ask the patient to take their mask off. Invite them to cough on you. Stand close when they do it. Decided to do that for yourself. Do that and you'll convince me that the risks are worth it for these kids.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
So will a player that contracts COV when at home due to the season being cancelled be able to sue the Conference for canceling the season and thus being liable for putting him more at risk ?
And here we have the moron argument.

No, at that point no one would be exposing him to risks for entertainment purposes. Those risks, whatever they may be, would be entirely on his own.