If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
At some point it is like everything else in life and comes down to how much of a risk you're willing to take. There are measures that you can take to mitigate the risk, social distance and avoiding sick people are the best practices. You are taking as much of a risk driving as you are with the virus if you take the steps to mitigate. The problem is the amount of fear mongering that has been applied for political purposes. Diseases and Dr.s shouldn't be politicized.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
At some point it is like everything else in life and comes down to how much of a risk you're willing to take.

Yes it risk, but for who?
The players, the coaches, assistants and of the field analysts (who are older), the equipment people and field crew, the refs, the cooks and cleaners who follow these groups around and all of their families. IMO this is just more than the players. That does not factor if any of them have family members that fall into a vulnerable group.

All risk is assumed but I don’t believe football fall is worth the risk.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
You are deciding for these people now? I am ok with making decisions for myself, and I'm also ok with you making your own decisions. I'm not ok with you making the decision for me.

Nov 6, 2010
1. We didn't have a first wave in Oklahoma and Texas until about two months ago so locking down tighter than a drumb for us when NYC was in their wave makes no sense at all. Simply allowing everyone to go back to normal just as our wave started was indeed a mistake...but we aren't one area and things spread in different time periods in different places. They basically had marshal law in NYC and had the worst results in the entire country in terms of their virus death rate...by far the worst. So that didn't work either.
2. I'm not sure air travel with mask is a big spreader, those planes are one of the safest places to be in the amount of air changes they do. certainly travel to big cities with massive case loads should have been halted and mostly were.
3. Stock market trading? Wat The?
4. Not a good idea either...only for areas where they were in a first wave...wouldn't make sense for states like OK and Wyoming, SD, ND, all over most of the west sans Washington and Cali. You need enforcement on that when you are actually having a surge not when you are not.

On the last sentence I agree...but it was not that cut and dry in terms of keeping it from spreading in the various first waves (several months apart) the country has experienced.
I agreed with you initially about local response, but I think that was just a false sense of security based on proximity to the initial epicenters. The only way to contain something like this is a strategy of complete eradication, which means you can't just wait until the flare-ups happen in BFE, you have to prevent them.

As far as trading, that is just an idea to keep individual businesses from being hurt for reason completely out of their control. Trading has been halted in other times of crisis, never for a full month, but I think it would help if for no other reason than to take some of the politics out of it.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
You are deciding for these people now? I am ok with making decisions for myself, and I'm also ok with you making your own decisions. I'm not ok with you making the decision for me.

At what point do personal decision effect more people than the person making the decision? How many ripples go out before a decision to stop has to be made?

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Every person decides the risk they're willing to take. We have no way to control every little aspect of risk. You make your own decisions on the risk you're willing to take. Personally I don't understand why people think they have the right to tell me how much risk I can take. I take full responsibility for my risk and claim no responsibility for your risks.

Mar 11, 2006
At what point do personal decision effect more people than the person making the decision? How many ripples go out before a decision to stop has to be made?
How does having he college football season negatively impact you in any way? Unless, of course, you are traumatized by losing to OU in the last second.

OkState1974

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2007
Tulsa
The time to stop it was in Jan/Feb. However, the president was too busy calling it a hoax,

Trump put a travel ban from China in place on January 31. Dems all called him racist and xenophobic. Just to set the record straight.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
How does having he college football season negatively impact you in any way? Unless, of course, you are traumatized by losing to OU in the last second.
It doesn’t, I am ok with pushing the season to spring out of safety for the greater population.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Every person decides the risk they're willing to take. We have no way to control every little aspect of risk. You make your own decisions on the risk you're willing to take. Personally I don't understand why people think they have the right to tell me how much risk I can take. I take full responsibility for my risk and claim no responsibility for your risks.

Cool, so if you promise not to transmit the Coronavirus to anyone we'll all be good

Mar 11, 2006
It doesn’t, I am ok with pushing the season to spring out of safety for the greater population.
Well. I deserved that response since I lacked specifics.
Why do you feel a fall college football season will negatively effect you? Let’s says games are played with a limited or even no audience in the stadium. Are you still concerned? If so, why?

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I remember telling my wife, at the start of the year, this was going to be a fun year. We had the Olympics, a Presidential election, OSU was clearly going to be great in football and basketball showed real potential.

WT actual F with the whole damn thing.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I just said I'm not responsible for your risk. You will need to decide that. If you want to stay locked down for the rest of your life because you're afraid of getting sick by all means that's your right. You have no say in my decision making process. NONE.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
If the Big 12, SEC, and ACC players all displayed long-term health effects because of it, the joke would be on them.
I certainly wouldn’t wish that on any of those programs. My point is more that the Big 10 wanted to cancel/postpone the season but only wanted to do so if the others were going to follow. If they felt it was the right move they shouldn’t care what the other conferences do.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Well. I deserved that response since I lacked specifics.
Why do you feel a fall college football season will negatively effect you? Let’s says games are played with a limited or even no audience in the stadium. Are you still concerned? If so, why?
I want to be able to watch football but I am not willing to put the heath of others ahead of being able to watch football this fall.

Why am I concerned, because of this group.

The players, the coaches, assistants and of the off the field analysts (who are older), the equipment people and field crew, the refs, the cooks and cleaners who follow these groups around and all of their families. IMO this is just more than the players. That does not factor if any of them have family members that fall into a vulnerable group.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hey, I got furloughed myself, so I felt some pain, and yes, there were some pretty drastic actions taken. But as @cowboyinexile said in his reply, there was no coordination from the top, and many actively subverted any attempts to slow it down. Hell, here in Omaha just today, the Kroger I go to finally implemented a mask requirement. And where we really missed federal level coordination was a plan with a timeline. The thing that made the actions that were taken so difficult to take was the uncertainty about when it would end. To really stop this thing it it's tracks, the actions would have needed to be draconian, including national guard troops to enforce. But it could have been much shorter in duration with a definite timeline. So, just some ideas off the top of my head that should have been undertaken,

1. Mask requirement to leave house, day 1.. Just like a seatbelt law, anyone out and about without one gets fined.
2. All air travel halted, not just international. Yea, I"m sure there would be a few deaths due to unintended consequences from this one, but I bet it wouldn't be the half million we're going to have from the virus.
3. Stock trading halted.
4. Quarantine enforcement for any interstate travel, no self quarantine which everyone including myself ignored when traveling from one state to another.

I'm sure there are others, but at this point, I'm against any of it, because as I said, it is just too late. If we had done a martial law type lockdown for 4 weeks, I believe COVID-19 would be virtually extinct in the US. As it is, we're going to have to just let it go and get tough. So let's have some college football!
This kind if sums up my recent thoughts. The only place where I disagree is that mask mandates should stay in place or be executed. Enough evidence now that it works (relevant for us, an easy example is comparing Omaha and Lincoln over the last two weeks) and it's a super simple intervention. I'd love it if people did it on their own, but that's not how it's gone so far. All of the begging and pleading did almost nothing. Plus, you still need it in place once cases are lowered and people will stop wearing them as much once that occurs.

Otherwise, I've become pessimistic about the possibility of stopping it in the US. I think they will cancel football and college classes, but I don't think it's going to do much. The counterfactual is tough to know, but it seems cancelling both really could increase risk for the players, in part because it reduces the incentive for them to take precautions while also being more likely to be in living situations with higher risk people (their parents and/or grandparents).

Overall, I think we need to be clearer about what are the range of strategies we'd find acceptable to live with for the next 6 months to a year that can reduce spread and severity until we have a vaccine and/or very good therapeutics/prophylactics that are widespread. At the moment, I don't see any 4 to 8 week interventions that are going to work long term. On the other hand, nearly universal masks and giving up large in-person gatherings seem feasible if we keep them in place.