Ice Storm

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
That's one of the few things I miss about living in Austin, Tx NO ICE Storms ! Lived there some 30 years.
I don't miss the traffic congestion.

Live in north Stillwater now, approx 4 miles north of the Walmart on Perkins road. Power went out around 10am and didn't return until around 7pm.

I was worried no power, no World Series on tv. Late afternoon I called around, no rooms at any of the motels I called. Probably lots of Stillwater residents going for a warm room and tv tonight who still don't have power.

Stay safe you all

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't know what the hell people are thinking when they plant these. Wind storm or ice storm and those are doomed.
I can't disagree. As someone who has planted one I'll say they have good blooms in the spring, good color in the fall, are a manageable size and good shape...

until the ice

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I remember when it hit Tulsa many years ago and going more than a week without power. I remember how eerily quiet it was with no electricity....like quieter than you ever remember before. Hope everybody gets power back soon before that feeling sets in.

I remember a bar close to my house that brought in a generator which meant heat, tv and beer. Plus the bartender brought bread and lunch meat in every evening for people. Didn't have to be open and certainty didn't have to provide free food but she did. Perhaps the only bright spot in times like this is seeing people step up to help others....good for the soul.

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
I don't know what the hell people are thinking when they plant these. Wind storm or ice storm and those are doomed.
Most cities like Edmonnd, Norman, and even OKC have bannned Bradford pears along with Silver maples due to being crappy trees. Poor limb structure and high roots. They both were over planted in the 80's.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Most cities like Edmonnd, Norman, and even OKC have bannned Bradford pears along with Silver maples due to being crappy trees. Poor limb structure and high roots. They both were over planted in the 80's.
Yep, I have a silver maple in my front yard that sucks! Literally sucks all the water out of the ground around it so I have a hard time getting any grass below it to grow full and lush. Stupid roots above the ground. That tree grows like a damn weed. It took a freaking walloping yesterday. It looks pathetic now. I've always hated that tree. People plant these things because they know they will grow fast and they leave the aftermath of dealing with them to the next guy who buys their house.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
I had two Bradford Pears in my backyard when I moved in and immediately cut both down. No ice storms here, but we can get strong winds.

The Pecan tree we have also seems to have super weak limbs that are always snapping. No issue with our Live Oaks.

Nov 6, 2010
Just got back from doing some emergency chainsawing. I was outside for 3-4 hours and heard huge limb after huge limb after crack and fall on neighbors properties. I counted 7 or 8 transformer explosions, including the one that fed the house I was working on. This was in a few spots around the main part of town.

I think it's the leaves. Usually you get ice storms after the leaves are gone, but with the leaves covered in ice, its sooo much heavier. And then you soak the wood with hours of rain...

Got a couple big limbs hanging directly over the house that I wouldn't normally worry about, but now I don't know.

I had to swerve to avoid getting hit by a large falling limb while driving. If you ever wanted to start a tree limb mulching service, now's the time.

I remember when it hit Tulsa I paid some guys that were driving around to finish off a big tree that had cracked in half in my yard. They were there from out of state just to make money off the tree removal. They told me they did the same thing with hurricanes, etc. They definitely had plenty of work in Tulsa that time around. I remember they city designated a couple of areas for people to dispose of the limbs. Biggest brush piles you can imagine.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I remember when it hit Tulsa I paid some guys that were driving around to finish off a big tree that had cracked in half in my yard. They were there from out of state just to make money off the tree removal. They told me they did the same thing with hurricanes, etc. They definitely had plenty of work in Tulsa that time around. I remember they city designated a couple of areas for people to dispose of the limbs. Biggest brush piles you can imagine.
Seems like they had a big burning ceremony with those brush piles too.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I lived over in that area and I was without power for 8 days and our house was all electric and we had to stay at a friends house who had a gas fire place to keep warm. We had two babies and the wife and I and we slept on his front room floor that entire time. It sucked so bad. I made 100% sure the next house I had was Gas and not electric because of it.

We took all the things out of the freezer and set them on the ice in the back yard and spent the entire week grilling steaks and meat out on the grill so it wouldn't go bad. For entertainment we would drink beer on the front porch and listen to huge trees breaking all around. It sounded like a war and it was the ONLY sound out there. It was creepy

Nov 6, 2010
I lived over in that area and I was without power for 8 days and our house was all electric and we had to stay at a friends house who had a gas fire place to keep warm. We had two babies and the wife and I and we slept on his front room floor that entire time. It sucked so bad. I made 100% sure the next house I had was Gas and not electric because of it.

We took all the things out of the freezer and set them on the ice in the back yard and spent the entire week grilling steaks and meat out on the grill so it wouldn't go bad. For entertainment we would drink beer on the front porch and listen to huge trees breaking all around. It sounded like a war and it was the ONLY sound out there. It was creepy
Yea, that was the only positive about that one, you didn't have to worry about keeping your food cold without a freezer or fridge. I understand in hurricane country that's actually an event when they get their power knocked out, it becomes an instant massive cookout.