I still believe...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Like all fans, I was disappointed with the team's loss in Norman this past week. This loss was particularly difficult to swallow because of the expectations we've built over the past few years. We've seen a team that can go into no-win situations and walk away victorious. We've seen a coaching staff and players who truly believe they will win every time they step on the field, and we as fans have come to believe it too.

There's something special about this team. And it's why I'm fully confident that we'll be singing the Alma Mater with them on Saturday after they take the field against Texas. This is Our Team.

I thought the slogan was hokie at first - it still is, if it's only a slogan. But it's not just a slogan... it's the philosophy of this team and everyone surrounding it. Rashaun, D'Juan, Tatum, Josh, Les... name any of them... they don't care about personal accolades. You don't see them griping because they're not higher in the heisman polls, or getting the respect they deserve for individual awards. They've taken ownership of this team. This is their team. This is Our Team.

We may not be the most talented team that will take the field on Saturday. We might not have the best athletes, or the most tradition. We may not have the spread, or the national media hype behind us. But it doesn't matter. This is Our Team.

It's a family, and it's about more than one game. It's bigger than bedlam. It's what has taken us from the armpit of the Big XII, and made us a force to be reckoned with in just 3 years.

It's not just the players. They bust their butts on the field, make the plays, and feel the effects of it afterwards, but it's not just them. It's not just the coaches. They bust their butts as well. They spend endless hours preparing for games, watching film, designing schemes, and motivating players. They also feel the effects of the game afterwards, but it isn't them. It's not just the fans either. They show up consistently at Lewis Field (ahem) Boone Pickens Stadium win or lose, and have made it (in my best Larry Reese voice) the rrrrowdiest stadium in the country. Schools have always feared the trip to Stillwater in basketball because of the tremendous home-court advantage the fans provide their team. Now it's the same in football. But, it's not just about the fans. It's about us, our Oklahoma State University. And, Our Team.

Bring it on Texas. You'll have to bring more than national hype. You'll have to bring more than just a great coaching staff. You had better bring the house, because we're sending Our Team to Our Stadium on Saturday, and they'll be ready.

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Greg, if you want, you have my permission to do whatever you want with that. You can even take credit for it for all I care. That is, unless the coaching staff is so enamored with it that they offer you box seats for life and bowl accommodations for the next 50 years. Then you have to cut me in. HA.

DevNull

Bit Bucket
Nov 3, 2003
Tulsa
Visit site
I'm not asking for anyone to name names, or provide proof in any way, but-- I have always wondered if OSU coaches and players read and/or post on Internet message boards. Does anyone have some insight on that?

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
Coaches .. especially the big guns like Miles and Sutton.. definitely don't even read the internet.

Players and coaches don't post on internet message boards... I believe they're told not to.

Players and some athletic support staff however do read message boards.

And recruits and parents of players both read and post on message boards.

This is why people being overly critical can often do much more harm than good.. because it usually reaches the people being talked about.

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
I know for sure that some of the players read and occasionally post. They don't post "as players" but they post on occasion. My last roommate was a former player, and he would read and post occasionally on another site. It got him fired up because the people that were supposed to be "in the know," he said were full of crap, and would make up stories at times to keep their listening (oops... I mean posting) audience interested. Lots of the guys on these boards are friends with the players, so if something especially good or negative comes out about them, the players will read. Josh Fields posted under one of my buddies's username one time regarding a post about him.

Greg's right. You have to be careful what you say because you'd be surprised who reads. Recruits read these boards all the time... it's not a good gauge of fan support, but it's as close as they can come.

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
This post has been nominated for the OP Hall Of Fame. Remember that on future visits to this forum, you may need to adjust the date range for threads on a page.. the default is 30 days, and many of these posts will be older than that.

This can be done via a dropdown at the bottom of the thread view page.

Status
Not open for further replies.