I am biased.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” ― Ernest Hemingway

Hemingway was a drunk.

I tend to drink too much myself, so I guess I don't make the cut either. Meh, it is what it is.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Interesting. The way I read it, it talks about people that think they are superior, are not. And that those who continue to grow correctly can be superior to their former self. Kinda almost like growing your own character. Oh well. To each their own.
It doesn’t say anything about not judging other people’s character. It’s impossible to go through life without judging the character of others.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I will admit, I am biased.
I am positively biased towards my fellow humans that conduct themselves with
- Personal responsibility
- Social responsibility
- Sobriety
- Strong family values
- Non-criminal activities
- Willful productivity
- An effort towards continued improvement
- Common interests
- Respect towards our fellow humans.

Thus, by definition, I guess I am negatively biased towards my fellow humans that do not conduct themselves in the above manner.

Does that make me a racist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In other words: I am virtue signaling to my fellow rightwingers. Yes, the right does it too, and this is a great example.

Also, I have a question: do you have a humble bone in your body? Everything you write reeks of arrogance, like you are trying to compensate for something.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
- Social responsibility
- Sobriety
- Strong family values
- Willful productivity
- Common interests

Thus, by definition, I guess I am negatively biased towards my fellow humans that do not conduct themselves in the above manner.

In other words: I am virtue signaling to my fellow rightwingers. Yes, the right does it too, and this is a great example.

Also, I have a question: do you have a humble bone in your body? Everything you write reeks of arrogance, like you are trying to compensate for something.
You couldn’t be more incorrect.

I’ll give you a chance to re-read the OP and reconsider what the real point of the thread is.

(I suspect if your feelings are hurt, you’re on the right oath).

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
You couldn’t be more incorrect.

I’ll give you a chance to re-read the OP and reconsider what the real point of the thread is.

(I suspect if your feelings are hurt, you’re on the right oath).

You are one of the more deluded people I have ran into on this board. If you truly valued respect, you wouldn't be so condescending to everyone else. It is clear from your lengthy post history, the only person you care about is yourself and your internet image.

The point of the thread is for you to get some atta boys for having virtue and saying you value "the right things". That is the very definition of virtue signaling.

virtue signaling
[ vur-choo sig-nl-ing ]

noun Sometimes Disparaging.
the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one’s righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not: The virtue signaling of solidarity with the victims can be a comforting affirmation of community.Their outraged virtue signaling comes across as contrived.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/virtue-signaling

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
You are one of the more deluded people I have ran into on this board. If you truly valued respect, you wouldn't be so condescending to everyone else. It is clear from your lengthy post history, the only person you care about is yourself and your internet image.

The point of the thread is for you to get some atta boys for having virtue and saying you value "the right things". That is the very definition of virtue signaling.

virtue signaling
[ vur-choo sig-nl-ing ]

the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one’s righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not: The virtue signaling of solidarity with the victims can be a comforting affirmation of community.Their outraged virtue signaling comes across as contrived.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/virtue-signaling
I am not sure how you interpreted that from the OP.

Apr 14, 2009
- Social responsibility
- Sobriety
- Strong family values
- Willful productivity
- Common interests

I’m not sure what you are Gumbo.
But in looking at that whole list that you made.
My man you obviously don’t like Donald Trump.

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
How do you feel about and deal with those who fall short of your standards but strive to improve? And are you sure you view those who look, talk, believe and even smell differently than you?

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I am not sure how you interpreted that from the OP.
Lets turn the tables a bit. If @StillwaterTownie started a thread on how he was very anti-racist, pro-lgbtq, etc, focused on his beliefs rather than those issues themselves, he would be virtue signaling. You would easily identify it as virtue signaling, because you would disagree with him on some or all of the points. The other left wing posters would say that they are good points and that you don't get it, very similar to what you are doing now.

The reason why this is happening because it is hard to detect if one has the same or similar views. You seem to be conservative or a paleoconservative, so that makes sense.

The thing to pick up on is what is the conversation based on? Is it the ideas or the person, and as always, gumby has made it about himself. He is a virtue signaler.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Based on the Dictionary.com definition of virtue signaling, I don’t think we can accuse Gumby of that. None of his qualities are social or political issues:

virtue signaling[ vur-choo sig-nl-ing ]
the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one’s righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
- Social responsibility
- Sobriety
- Strong family values
- Willful productivity
- Common interests

I’m not sure what you are Gumbo.
But in looking at that whole list that you made.
My man you obviously don’t like Donald Trump.
For once, you’re correct. I do not like DJT.

Mar 11, 2006
Lets turn the tables a bit. If @StillwaterTownie started a thread on how he was very anti-racist, pro-lgbtq, etc, focused on his beliefs rather than those issues themselves, he would be virtue signaling. You would easily identify it as virtue signaling, because you would disagree with him on some or all of the points. The other left wing posters would say that they are good points and that you don't get it, very similar to what you are doing now.

The reason why this is happening because it is hard to detect if one has the same or similar views. You seem to be conservative or a paleoconservative, so that makes sense.

The thing to pick up on is what is the conversation based on? Is it the ideas or the person, and as always, gumby has made it about himself. He is a virtue signaler.
I appreciate that you took the time to explain your reasoning, but based on what was said in the OP. and the topic..I think you are stretching.