Hype v. Reality

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2006
Am I the only person that thinks OSU is the most overhyped team in the country? I think there is a better chance we lose 4 games than win the B12 championship. I am on board with the offense being historically good, at the same time I have zero faith in Gundy/Spencer putting a competitive defensive scheme on the field. The bend but don’t break scheme is the only thing that keeps us from truly being a top ten program.

I hold myself to be a realist not an optimist or pessimist and my opinions on a season are based on what I see on the field not hype in magazines and talking heads. I just don’t see a legit top ten team. Let’s look at reality not hype:

2014: OSU was one bad decision by Stoops from being 5-7 with 5 of those losses blow outs. This tells me that without a dominant offense we are a bad team.

2015: Great 10 win team that started 10-0. Reality: 9 of the 10 wins were against FCS teams, UCM, Kansas, or games won late or on the last possession of games we trailed in 4th quarter. Among these were UCM, KSU, ISU, UT, WVU, and TT all average to bad teams. Our losses were blow out losses to the only really good teams we played. We had one good win – TCU.

2016: Good 9 win team with a really good bowl win. Reality: 6 of 10 wins were against FCS teams, Kansas or games won late or on the last possession of games we trailed in 4th quarter. We had two good wins – WVU & CU.

This all tells me that OSU is far from a top ten team and has to have a dominant offense and a lot of luck to overcome the lack of defense. Our defensive issues aren’t talent but scheme. What happens when we run out of luck or we have a few turnovers on offense – you lose to the average teams we have been barely beating – Like Tulsa or KSU at home or PITT & ISU on the road.

I have us losing 3 possibly 4 games and OU & UT in the championship game.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I'm just gonna be the one to start the poop shower that is about to rain down on this post. Don't normally engage in that behavior, but this is particularly worthy.

Btw, yes...you are very likely the only one here thinks OSU is the most overhyped team in the country.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I wonder what the record is for shortest time to 10 poops.

The OP coulda been a contender if he had just taken the leap during a time of higher traffic for the site.

It's a shame some might end up missing it.

Aug 17, 2007
Orangeopolis
Winning close games at the end might be attributed to luck it doesn't happen very often. But, when it happens quite often, there's something else there. It could be confidence. Could be determination. But, there's something else. Whatever it is, I like it. Regarding the defense - I agree, it could be better. But, I don't think it has to be much better to complement the offense and win a bunch of games. I wish we could see the defense play every game like the 2011 Bedlam game. The downside of the hype is the pressure it might be putting on the players. I hope they just go play ball and play to win.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Am I the only person that thinks OSU is the most overhyped team in the country? I think there is a better chance we lose 4 games than win the B12 championship. I am on board with the offense being historically good, at the same time I have zero faith in Gundy/Spencer putting a competitive defensive scheme on the field. The bend but don’t break scheme is the only thing that keeps us from truly being a top ten program.

I hold myself to be a realist not an optimist or pessimist and my opinions on a season are based on what I see on the field not hype in magazines and talking heads. I just don’t see a legit top ten team. Let’s look at reality not hype:

2014: OSU was one bad decision by Stoops from being 5-7 with 5 of those losses blow outs. This tells me that without a dominant offense we are a bad team.

2015: Great 10 win team that started 10-0. Reality: 9 of the 10 wins were against FCS teams, UCM, Kansas, or games won late or on the last possession of games we trailed in 4th quarter. Among these were UCM, KSU, ISU, UT, WVU, and TT all average to bad teams. Our losses were blow out losses to the only really good teams we played. We had one good win – TCU.

2016: Good 9 win team with a really good bowl win. Reality: 6 of 10 wins were against FCS teams, Kansas or games won late or on the last possession of games we trailed in 4th quarter. We had two good wins – WVU & CU.

This all tells me that OSU is far from a top ten team and has to have a dominant offense and a lot of luck to overcome the lack of defense. Our defensive issues aren’t talent but scheme. What happens when we run out of luck or we have a few turnovers on offense – you lose to the average teams we have been barely beating – Like Tulsa or KSU at home or PITT & ISU on the road.

deb.jpg

Apr 13, 2007
You could be right or OSU might win it all. You just never know until the playing starts.

My best guess is that the Cowboys will finish in the top 4 but probably not win the NC.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

Exactly word for word how eye feel accept I have Kansas end Iowa State in the championship game.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Overhyped? We are ranked #10. I think you are confusing OSU and the university down south of OKC in Norman.

Talk about over hyped with Top 5 rankings and expected national championships only to be embarrassed in most bowl games.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008

Only one problem with this statement..... we will have a dominant offense.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
While we are at it....

Am I the only one around here that thinks steak and a baked potato is the most overhyped meal in maybe the entire history of time?

This is fun. What are the things or people that you wonder if you are the only person here that finds it the most overhyped ever?

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
While we are at it....

Am I the only one around here that thinks steak and a baked potato is the most overhyped meal in maybe the entire history of time?

This is fun. What are the things or people that you wonder if you are the only person here that finds it the most overhyped ever?
Sex is way overhyped. The only point of it is to have kids and they usually end up disappointing you. People shouldn't even bother with it

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
While we are at it....

Texas. Perennially.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Am I the only one here that thinks the Mona Lisa is the most overhyped painting in the world?