Hurts to transfer to uo...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
And in a punk move, Riley has blocked OU's transferring QB, Kendall, from becoming immediately eligible at WVU even though he has graduated. Funny, they lobbied for Mayfield dragging TTU through the mud and when faced with the same situation, they pull a bush-league move like this.

Jan 1, 2008
So OU got the guy that got replaced by the guy that lost the Heisman to their previous quarterback. Why exactly should OSU be worried about this new quarterback over the last two Heisman winners that OSU found new and exciting and self-inflicted ways to lose to?

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
And in a punk move, Riley has blocked OU's transferring QB, Kendall, from becoming immediately eligible at WVU even though he has graduated. Funny, they lobbied for Mayfield dragging TTU through the mud and when faced with the same situation, they pull a bush-league move like this.
That is seriously a dick move on their part. They're trying to justify it as he knows their playbook and it's in conference, but there's just a number of big holes there.

1. He can transfer there anyway and he might not play but STILL knows the playbook and signals from the sideline.

2. If Lincoln Riley can't change up the hand-signals he's not much of a coach. Plus it's not like their new QB won't have to learn them anyway so might as well start fresh.

3. Off the top of my head, 2 other Big 12 backup QBs have grad transferred to other Big 12 schools this offseason (Kolar: OSU to ISU and Delton: KSU to TCU) but you didn't see those schools block or otherwise whine about it.

4. Alabama certainly didn't block Jalen Hurts from being immediately eligible, but maybe they should have.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
So OU got the guy that got replaced by the guy that lost the Heisman to their previous quarterback. Why exactly should OSU be worried about this new quarterback over the last two Heisman winners that OSU found new and exciting and self-inflicted ways to lose to?
Well, in response to your question, no one said we should be worried.

But in an objective analysis, this is a significant win for OU. QB would have been a big weakness for them next year, probably the weakest position on the offense, unless their freshman was an unexpected phenom. (Murray was more of an expected phenom.)

Sep 12, 2017
Tulsa
That is seriously a dick move on their part. They're trying to justify it as he knows their playbook and it's in conference, but there's just a number of big holes there.

1. He can transfer there anyway and he might not play but STILL knows the playbook and signals from the sideline.

2. If Lincoln Riley can't change up the hand-signals he's not much of a coach. Plus it's not like their new QB won't have to learn them anyway so might as well start fresh.

3. Off the top of my head, 2 other Big 12 backup QBs have grad transferred to other Big 12 schools this offseason (Kolar: OSU to ISU and Delton: KSU to TCU) but you didn't see those schools block or otherwise whine about it.

4. Alabama certainly didn't block Jalen Hurts from being immediately eligible, but maybe they should have.

I don't like Riley trying to block Kendall from being eligible immediately.
I do think he would prefer him to go out of conference and he would be eligible immediately.
I didn't realize you could block a grad transfer until this came up.
I guess you can only do this if it is in conference.
Do other conferences have the same rules about in conference transfers?
Alabama can't block Hurts because he transferred out of conference.

Jan 1, 2008
Well, in response to your question, no one said we should be worried.

But in an objective analysis, this is a significant win for OU. QB would have been a big weakness for them next year, probably the weakest position on the offense, unless their freshman was an unexpected phenom. (Murray was more of an expected phenom.)
Their incoming freshman QB was the number 1 rated dual threat QB. After watching freshman QBs and QBs that have never started in their careers, and wide receivers, and defensive lineman carve up the OSU defense - Hurts or their Freshman phenom...it doesn't matter.

The only way a freshman phenom can be considered a weakness is when a teams last two QBs were Heisman winners

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
The issue with Mayfield was he wasn’t a scholarship quarterback at Tech. That’s what the petitioning was for.

Kendall has two years to play two. Transferring in conference especially when you know the offense and signals shouldn’t be without ramifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
The issue with Mayfield was he wasn’t a scholarship quarterback at Tech. That’s what the petitioning was for.

Kendall has two years to play two. Transferring in conference especially when you know the offense and signals shouldn’t be without ramifications.

Then maybe we should have blocked Holgy from leaving us as OC and going to WVU. Pretty sure he knew the offense and the hand signals. And Kolar from going to ISU. But I guess we are better at not whining about stuff like this.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso

Kolar from OSU is going to ISU this year, no problems. Why is OU being a dick about it?

ALSO so what if Kendall knows the offense and the signals? OU can't block him from going to WVU only from being immediately eligible to play. So if he can't play this just gives him MORE time for the WVU coaches to pick his brain about the OU offense.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark

Then maybe we should have blocked Holgy from leaving us as OC and going to WVU. Pretty sure he knew the offense and the hand signals. And Kolar from going to ISU. But I guess we are better at not whining about stuff like this.
Hey whatever makes you think you have the high ground, champ.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark

Kolar from OSU is going to ISU this year, no problems. Why is OU being a dick about it?

ALSO so what if Kendall knows the offense and the signals? OU can't block him from going to WVU only from being immediately eligible to play. So if he can't play this just gives him MORE time for the WVU coaches to pick his brain about the OU offense.
Kolar is a grad transfer. He can go anywhere he wants. He’s got the golden ticket.

Mar 8, 2010
Well the gooners just won themselves another bedlam game and can go ahead and order a conference championship banner for the 2019 season. Riley is an amazing recruiter.