Hurts- a one man show

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
Zero U fans just want to be fake mad about something and this is as close as it gets. For quite some time there has been very little bulletin board material from OSU- so this is what it comes to. Gundy admitted it was keeping him up thinking about it and made several other comments to compliment his passing and Lamb's receiving. What exactly are you expecting him to say? Statistics prove Hurts value and that OU can score points Not sure what type of compliments you're looking for.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Some uo fans got butthurt over it and it's hilarious. Making a story out of nothing. Kinda like Hurts saying he's never heard of Eskimo Joes and doesn't like cheese fries. lol
Except I don't know anybody upset that hurts doesn't know about Eskimo Joe's.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 6, 2011
Gundy makes more per game than many OU fans will see in a lifetime. His record against them may stink, but I can guarantee that he has zero shiz to give about a single one of their opinions about his comments. He answered a question. Big whoop.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Also... Oklahoma State has 502 rushing attempts on the season.

Oklahoma?

Pot? Meet kettle.
Again with the fake outrage. Gundy made an observation, it's not an insult. Yes, it applies to us as well. If you stop Chuba you stop the Cowboys. Ok. Shrug.

(Hopefully for us, Chuba became a little harder to stop after we finally thought to throw him the ball last week.)

Aug 7, 2006
I mean, they do run a lot of triple option/wishbone/flexbone concepts out of their formations. It's not really a secret. Plus the diamond formation is basically just an inverted wishbone, so I'm not really sure why people don't understand what he was saying.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Gundy should know something about that. Spencer Sanders had 130 carries and well over 600 yards rushing before he went down. So he’s got very little room to pigeon hole someone else’s offense.

Also, Oklahoma is ranked 11th in the nation in passing offense.

Oklahoma State?

Who’s the wishbone offense now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He wasn’t pigeon-holing the offense, you sensitive child. He was speaking to how important he is to the offense. How most everything runs through him.

Yes, OSU’s offense was nearly the same way with Sanders (he averaged three less carries per game than Hurts but had the same amount of pass attempts per game). Again, it wasn’t an insult.
Also... Oklahoma State has 502 rushing attempts on the season.

Oklahoma?

Pot? Meet kettle.

...except that most of our rushing attempts are by our RB. 285 for Chuba and 137 for Sanders.

That is vastly different than OU where Hurts has 180 attempts and your two running backs COMBINED have 159.

Again, this goes back to Gundy’s point.
Dont come in here with stats
DoN’t cOmE iN hErE wItH cOnTeXt.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
OU is also 93rd in the nation in passing attempts on the year which speaks even more to Gundy’s point.
LOL, that's actually a really good thing for OU. They average 27.6 passes per game. Kyler Murray averaged 28.6 last year and Mayfield averaged 28.8 in 2017. Your point? When you as as extremely efficient as they are, they dont need to throw it 30 times a game to move the ball or to score. What's more impressive is that Hurts has actually been a more efficient passer than Murray and Mayfield during their heisman seasons.

It isn’t about yards after catch, it’s about the volume of plays and the ratio between opportunities being asked of by other players versus Hurts himself.
It very much is about YAC. Tell me this, why do you think a guy who is 93rd in the country in pass attempts still leads the country in yards per attempt? Just curious what you think that means. I am of course taking issue with the suggestion that it's simply a one man show.

Brooks & Stevenson may average great YPC but they still don’t have as many carries as Hurts does even when you COMBINE their carries.
Yeah, but so what though? When something is working, it's working.

Gundy’s comment is clearly about usage, not production.[/QUOTE]

Yes he has high usage, so my first comment is: so what? It's obviously working considering his offense has the most yards in the country. And the most yards per play despite having 4 new olinemen and he's in a new system. If he's doing that all by himself, wouldnt that make Hurts the best player in the country? So he's either the single best football player in the nation or he's getting some help (you know, not a one man show). It has to be one or the other.

Gundy has this impression that it's a one man show, despite the fact that they have arguably the best wr in the country and a two rbs who have higher ypc than the best rb in the country. Sure they could use them more, but i mean I wont argue with 10-1, that's like spitting in the wind.

I suspect Gundy recognizes the talent OU has all over the field, and I'd bet he was just saying Hurts is the kind of guy who can carry an offense with his talent. I'd also bet most people, like yourself, didn't really take that as an insult, but some like to make something out of nothing when it comes to politics, or Bedlam.
Not an insult. Firstly though, any great offense is going to go through the qb. Being the focal point of the offense, for a multitude of reasons. He's very talented but he's not the best qb in the country, not the best player by any means- he's not good enough to just will them a victory. He's not a tebow type. Just a solid guy who does his job right and is a leader. If OU doesnt have playmakers all over that offense, theyre not 10-1 this year. Hell some of those wins belong to the defense. He leaned on his playmakers, some of them being Olinemen opening holes for him to go through.

Hurts is a known risk that we’ll hopefully have a good strategy for. However, I can’t help but think that their TE’s and RB’s will be what kills us. Seems like every year our coaches and defenders forget that they’re eligible receivers too.
Having to gameplan for Hurts' mobility is part of the reason defense get gashed by the rbs and tight ends.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Again with the fake outrage. Gundy made an observation, it's not an insult. Yes, it applies to us as well. If you stop Chuba you stop the Cowboys. Ok. Shrug.

(Hopefully for us, Chuba became a little harder to stop after we finally thought to throw him the ball last week.)
Probably not too terribly hard to stop when there's little threat from the passing game to keep a defense honest though. I suspect that Grinch is going to challenge brown to beat them through the air.

Wait, there are fans upset with this?

I thought it was kind of cool that he was sharing stats and strategy. The pressers are usually all fluff and no substance.

And he's not wrong. Hurts is a one man show. He's crazy talented. Bottom line...stop him and you stop OU. I fail to see the insult in any of that.
Ok stop the qb you stop the offense. I mean, other than teams who run it 50 times a game when is that not true? They are about as good as they have been the last 3 seasons behind different qbs, theyre just doing it differently. And maybe this is the best way for them to have a top offense. Maybe the Oline is really good at run blocking but not in pass protection. Could be that the workaround for that weakness being designed runs to try to get the secondary to play closer to the LOS.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
LOL, that's actually a really good thing for OU. They average 27.6 passes per game. Kyler Murray averaged 28.6 last year and Mayfield averaged 28.8 in 2017. Your point? When you as as extremely efficient as they are, they dont need to throw it 30 times a game to move the ball or to score. What's more impressive is that Hurts has actually been a more efficient passer than Murray and Mayfield during their heisman seasons.

It very much is about YAC. Tell me this, why do you think a guy who is 93rd in the country in pass attempts still leads the country in yards per attempt? Just curious what you think that means. I am of course taking issue with the suggestion that it's simply a one man show.

Yeah, but so what though? When something is working, it's working.
Yes he has high usage, so my first comment is: so what? It's obviously working considering his offense has the most yards in the country. And the most yards per play despite having 4 new olinemen and he's in a new system. If he's doing that all by himself, wouldnt that make Hurts the best player in the country? So he's either the single best football player in the nation or he's getting some help (you know, not a one man show). It has to be one or the other.

Gundy has this impression that it's a one man show, despite the fact that they have arguably the best wr in the country and a two rbs who have higher ypc than the best rb in the country. Sure they could use them more, but i mean I wont argue with 10-1, that's like spitting in the wind.
...you still don’t get it.

You’re taking offense to something that wasn’t meant to be offensive.

Again, this has nothing to do with efficiency or downplaying the skill of the other players on the offense.

He point blank is talking about the amount of Hurts’s usage throughout the season.

“So what?” you say. Yes, exactly. So what? Why are you or anyone else making it to be more than what it was? Gundy didn’t say it was a bad thing. He was praising Hurts’s ability. It was a simple observation about the style of OU’s offense this season. Nothing more.

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina

Again, this has nothing to do with efficiency or downplaying the skill of the other players on the offense.

He point blank is talking about the amount of Hurts’s usage throughout the season.

“So what?” you say. Yes, exactly. So what? Why are you or anyone else making it to be more than what it was? Gundy didn’t say it was a bad thing. He was praising Hurts’s ability. It was a simple observation about the style of OU’s offense this season. Nothing more.
Not the brightest bulb is he

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Gundy has this impression that it's a one man show, despite the fact that they have arguably the best wr in the country and a two rbs who have higher ypc than the best rb in the country.

Not an insult. Firstly though, any great offense is going to go through the qb.

If you actually heard the presser, which I wouldn't expect you take the time to do, but then again you did dedicate an unreasonable amount of time in your response, Gundy actually ran through the numbers compared to past OU qb's. Hurts was more directly involved in a higher number of plays. Although Gundy was very complimentary of Hurts, his point was not aimed towards the quality of anyone's play, rather the percentage of involvement of the QB, relative to past years.

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
Gundy should know something about that. Spencer Sanders had 130 carries and well over 600 yards rushing before he went down. So he’s got very little room to pigeon hole someone else’s offense.

Also, Oklahoma is ranked 11th in the nation in passing offense.

Oklahoma State?

Who’s the wishbone offense now?

Good lord! You don’t need come in here and “show your butt,” for us to understand Sooner Nation is all butt-hurt over some interesting football observations.

Pitiful. Just pitiful.

okstate987

as honest as a Denver man can be.
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

Just let the sooner be butthurt mike. Its their natural state.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

If you think I was offended, then perhaps it is you that is not getting it.

I understand the usage. It's just silly and funny me to see that offense, and see a one man show. That's the kind of thing that is usually one good player with little supporting cast.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
If you actually heard the presser, which I wouldn't expect you take the time to do, but then again you did dedicate an unreasonable amount of time in your response, Gundy actually ran through the numbers compared to past OU qb's. Hurts was more directly involved in a higher number of plays. Although Gundy was very complimentary of Hurts, his point was not aimed towards the quality of anyone's play, rather the percentage of involvement of the QB, relative to past years.
I am well aware of his usage.