Hurts- a one man show

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So in Gundy's presser on Monday he said that Hurts is a one man show. That the Sooners are running the wishbone out of the spread offense set. Stop Hurts and you stop 0U.

Bulletin board material for the other Sooner offensive players ? Think they'll be pumped to prove Gundy wrong ?
Will Riley involve alot more players than normal - not just to prove Gundy wrong, but to trick him as he knows Gundy is preparing for the one man show ?

Or . . . is Gundy sly as a fox. He knows it will be very difficult to beat 0U if Hurts does what he's done all year. So how do you get the other team to change their tendency . . . plant a seed . . .

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2016
Wichita,Ks
What's Hurts has also done much of the year is be a turnover machine. Dudes been fumbling constantly the last few games. This is good news for OSU as long as hes playing.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm actually not too worried about their RBs, we've been pretty stout all year in that regard. Hurts running does scare me some but his running alone probably (hopefully) won't be enough to win the game for them. The scariest thing is Hurts to Lamb against our zone..if Gundy isn't worried about that, I don't know what to say.

Feb 18, 2009
For a fanbase that likes to use the term little brother brother when referring to us, their temper tantrum over that clip is beyond laughable. No functioning, logical, adult can possibly twist what he said into an insult. The entire thing was praise for their most dynamic Qb's that bring more to the table than just dropping back and throwing it.

He's also 100% correct. You have to make plays on Hurts to beat them. If you don't stop him, no one else their fans all have boners for even matter. Stop him and/or make life hard for him, they are very beatable.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
What I'm worried about the most in this game is the FACT that the strips (if needed) will call it heavily in the goons favor and that our DB's are going to be flagged time and again for non-interference interference. This, despite the fact that we have been nearly penalty free for the past four games. Seriously, I don't expect fair treatment...I have no reason too. That being said, We can win this game IF they don't get highly involved (i.e. the refs).

I hate to be so jaded, but I've seen this too many times. Think about it, IF this is a business (it is), and the only way for the conference to get someone in the CFP is for ou to win both this game and the next one...who are they going to give a more "fair" shake in these two games? Hell we saw it in the TCU/OU game, I have ZERO confidence that we won't again on Saturday.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
What's Hurts has also done much of the year is be a turnover machine. Dudes been fumbling constantly the last few games. This is good news for OSU as long as hes playing.
Laughed my butt off when I saw that TCU player literally just take the ball out of his hands last week...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
While it's true most plays go through him, it's so much more than a one man show. He has the highest yards per pass attempt in the country. Not because he's awesome at downfield passes, but in large part because of yards after catch, OU is great at that. Their top two running backs Brooks & Stevenson have the top two highest yards per carry in the conference and they're both top 5 in the country for all rbs with 50+ carries. This with 4 new Olinemen.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
What I'm worried about the most in this game is the FACT that the strips (if needed) will call it heavily in the goons favor and that our DB's are going to be flagged time and again for non-interference interference. This, despite the fact that we have been nearly penalty free for the past four games. Seriously, I don't expect fair treatment...I have no reason too. That being said, We can win this game IF they don't get highly involved (i.e. the refs).

I hate to be so jaded, but I've seen this too many times. Think about it, IF this is a business (it is), and the only way for the conference to get someone in the CFP is for ou to win both this game and the next one...who are they going to give a more "fair" shake in these two games? Hell we saw it in the TCU/OU game, I have ZERO confidence that we won't again on Saturday.
There's a reason those Big XII refs all have earplugs in during the game. It just makes it easier for the Big XII home office to tell them what to do. The spots in the second half the past three weeks in the goon games are prime examples.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
While it's true most plays go through him, it's so much more than a one man show. He has the highest yards per pass attempt in the country. Not because he's awesome at downfield passes, but in large part because of yards after catch, OU is great at that. Their top two running backs Brooks & Stevenson have the top two highest yards per carry in the conference and they're both top 5 in the country for all rbs with 50+ carries. This with 4 new Olinemen.
OU is also 93rd in the nation in passing attempts on the year which speaks even more to Gundy’s point.

It isn’t about yards after catch, it’s about the volume of plays and the ratio between opportunities being asked of by other players versus Hurts himself.

Brooks & Stevenson may average great YPC but they still don’t have as many carries as Hurts does even when you COMBINE their carries.

Gundy’s comment is clearly about usage, not production.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I suspect Gundy recognizes the talent OU has all over the field, and I'd bet he was just saying Hurts is the kind of guy who can carry an offense with his talent. I'd also bet most people, like yourself, didn't really take that as an insult, but some like to make something out of nothing when it comes to politics, or Bedlam.

Sep 6, 2011
Hurts is a known risk that we’ll hopefully have a good strategy for. However, I can’t help but think that their TE’s and RB’s will be what kills us. Seems like every year our coaches and defenders forget that they’re eligible receivers too.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
For a fanbase that likes to use the term little brother brother when referring to us, their temper tantrum over that clip is beyond laughable. No functioning, logical, adult can possibly twist what he said into an insult. The entire thing was praise for their most dynamic Qb's that bring more to the table than just dropping back and throwing it.

He's also 100% correct. You have to make plays on Hurts to beat them. If you don't stop him, no one else their fans all have boners for even matter. Stop him and/or make life hard for him, they are very beatable.
It was funny to listen to the guys on the Franchise defend Gundy over this comment this morning.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Gundy should know something about that. Spencer Sanders had 130 carries and well over 600 yards rushing before he went down. So he’s got very little room to pigeon hole someone else’s offense.

Also, Oklahoma is ranked 11th in the nation in passing offense.

Oklahoma State?

Who’s the wishbone offense now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Gundy should know something about that. Spencer Sanders had 130 carries and well over 600 yards rushing before he went down. So he’s got very little room to pigeon hole someone else’s offense.

Also, Oklahoma is ranked 11th in the nation in passing offense.

Oklahoma State?

Who’s the wishbone offense now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't "stopping Hurts" imply stopping his passing game also?