Huge Beirut explosion shatters windows across Lebanese capital

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Accident or not, it just BEING there for 7 years is INCREDIBLY negligent and irresponsible...
Think about the logistics. We're talking about tons of material, so moving it will take a considerable amount of manpower and equipment, which someone has to pay for. For a poor country, who is going to pay for that? Then, where are you going to take it?? That's another problem.

IMO, the bigger question is where did it come from, and who authorized it to be stored there?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Think about the logistics. We're talking about tons of material, so moving it will take a considerable amount of manpower and equipment, which someone has to pay for. For a poor country, who is going to pay for that? Then, where are you going to take it?? That's another problem.

IMO, the bigger question is where did it come from, and who authorized it to be stored there?
It was taken off a Nigerian ship that was seized because they were flying the wrong flag or something (can't remember why it was seized).

The ship owner was contacted and told him he had to arrange to have his ship picked up and pay a hefty fine. He abandoned the ship and never claimed it and its contents were unloaded and stored and the ship itself was sold at auction after a year

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
This is more around what I was alluding to. Storing a large quantity of highly explosive material on a port near town, between a fireworks warehouse and your grain silos and letting it sit there FOR SEVEN YEARS?... Just seems like a LOT of really bad decisions were made.

Nov 6, 2010
This is more around what I was alluding to. Storing a large quantity of highly explosive material on a port near town, between a fireworks warehouse and your grain silos and letting it sit there FOR SEVEN YEARS?... Just seems like a LOT of really bad decisions were made.
Clearly a bad decision(s) was made at some point in the process, but bad decisions get made when resources and options are limited. The 7 year part doesn't surprise me at all, just based on human nature. Out of sight, out of mind.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Clearly a bad decision(s) was made at some point in the process, but bad decisions get made when resources and options are limited. The 7 year part doesn't surprise me at all, just based on human nature. Out of sight, out of mind.
Well, on the plus side I guess, now they don't have to worry about disposing of it anymore...

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
They were told to sell it or auction it off but did not.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Wasn’t it from Nigeria? That’s the scam capital of the world. I’d be leery of it too.
Russian owned. Got caught. Abandoned the crew and cargo. Crew was on board frozen in place as no country would take them. Couldn’t sell or auction cargo as communications were taken away from ship for first ten months until the crew finally was released. By then they just wanted out. The Israelis and Americans freaked out about it and complained to the U.N. Obviously we see the end result now. I still suspect attack as this info was well known on all sides for a long time. Possibly to put Hez on the ropes.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I could see why his advisors told him that. It was a bomb essentially. It’s hard to fathom how something like that happens accidentally but perhaps it is just the worst case of negligence maybe ever.
Other contenders:

Texas City explosion in 1947, a similar amount of ammonium nitrate, killed 581.

**The 1984 Union Carbide gas leak in Bhopal, India, killed at least 3787, with some estimates claiming as many as 15-20,000 deaths. Over 500,000 suffered respiratory problems, eye irritation or blindness, and other maladies. Many were offered compensation of a few hundred dollars. In the early 2000s there were still ove 400 tons of toxic waste on the site, and in 2010 several former executives of Union Carbide's Indian subsidiary were convicted of negligence in the disaster.
(** from Britannica.com)

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma

It’s fertilizer. Apply it to a growing crop is the easiest way to get rid of it.