How OSU becomes a title contender (ESPN)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 14, 2011
No big arguments here. A better Sanders, d-line push, and corner coverage would sure go a long way towards some W's.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ootball-team-becomes-national-title-contender

Oklahoma State Cowboys (+5000)
If ... Spencer Sanders keeps maturing. Sanders was a lit firecracker at quarterback in 2019; you knew something was about to explode, good or bad. He averaged 13.3 yards per completion and 6.1 yards per non-sack carry, but his interception rate (4.5%) was double what it needed to be. Then again, he was a freshman. Maturation could be very kind to what is a dramatically high-upside talent.

So could one of the best skill corps in the country: running back Chuba Hubbard and wide receiver Tylan Wallace are All-American candidates, and most secondary options return. The skill corps is why OSU's title odds are what they are. Now they just need a more stable ball distributor.

If ... a more experienced D-line is a better D-line. OSU nearly made the BCS title game in 2011 with a defense that ranked 38th in defensive SP+; with this offense, you don't necessarily need elite defense to contend. But OSU ranked only 58th last year due primarily to a shaky front that neither stood up to the run nor put pressure on the QB.

Of course, the line was almost completely freshmen and sophomores. With better development up front, a speedy, physical back seven could do a lot of damage. Linebackers Malcolm Rodriguez, Amen Ogbongbemiga and Calvin Bundage and safeties Kolby Harvell-Peel, Tre Sterling and Jarrick Bernard could be dynamite with more help.

If ... the corners are as good as the safeties. With strong safeties, OSU was still only 53rd in passing success rate and 69th in ANY/A allowed. Corner Rodarius Williams allowed 8.0 AY/A, and Missouri transfer Christian Holmes was at 9.5. They are fun, physical, aggressive and beatable. This unit must improve.

If ... Sanders gets shorter fields. When your defense isn't particularly efficient, you lose the turnovers battle, you get nothing out of the return game and you saddle your offense with bad field position. OSU's average starting field position was 28.1, 100th in FBS. Giving Sanders & Co. more short fields will quickly plump up the scoring average.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Here's the key that Gundy and co need to wake up to:

When your defense isn't particularly efficient, you lose the turnovers battle, you get nothing out of the return game then you saddle your offense with bad field position. OSU's average starting field position was 28.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Here's the key that Gundy and co need to wake up to:

When your defense isn't particularly efficient, you lose the turnovers battle, you get nothing out of the return game then you saddle your offense with bad field position. OSU's average starting field position was 28.
I doubt they are “asleep” to that. And the article is missing an even bigger key factor which was bad punting (ranked 119th in the nation).

When your punter can’t flip the field or even worse, shanks punts, it puts the defense in a bad spot and even if they do their job to get off the field in a 3-and-out, it still leads to the offense being pinned deep when the opposing team only has to punt from midfield.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
I doubt they are “asleep” to that. And the article is missing an even bigger key factor which was bad punting (ranked 119th in the nation).

When your punter can’t flip the field or even worse, shanks punts, it puts the defense in a bad spot and even if they do their job to get off the field in a 3-and-our, it still leads to the offense being pinned deep when the opposing team only has to punt from midfield.

Or puts the other team's offense in field goal range after only 1 first down.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Mods, I think someone has hacked Toker's account. It's possible I'm missing the insult in his post, but since we haven't even sniffed the CGC, this seems like an accurate and fair post. Which must mean he's been hacked.
I dont even have a history of insult slinging on here. Sometimes wrong predictions, and often snarky remarks. But certainly nothing to give one the impression i am incapable of making a valid point.

Considering we have the second best Big 12 record for the last decade it really shouldn't take all of the planets to align like some rare occurrence to get in that game.
I agree, but in reality though, that seems to be the case.

Aug 2, 2011
You cant make the Playoff being mediocre and bad in 2 of the 3 phases of the game

Our return game used to be a strength now it is beyond horrible
I can't remember one return last year that turned momentum or flipped the field
And we know all about our defense

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I dont even have a history of insult slinging on here. Sometimes wrong predictions, and often snarky remarks. But certainly nothing to give one the impression i am incapable of making a valid point.

No, it doesn't at all, given the number of times they played the last game of the season with the Big 12 title on the line.

Sep 9, 2013
I think Gundy has put together a great team. That said, I expect WVU, kstate, TCU, and Texas to all be significantly tougher than last season. ESPN had the Sills brothers ranked as the number 1 and number 3 dlinemen in the big 12. Dline makes a huge difference in games.

I do think OSU will be favored in every game but Texas and OU, but all it would take is being outplayed on a given saturday and WVU, kstate, or TCU can hang a n l on you. Texas tech, although not good, has beaten Gundy 2 years in a row and the scores have not been that close.

Baylor wont be as good, but they are an unknown with a new coach.

Iowa State has brock purdy back, and MC is a giant killer coach.

Yeah, LSU would likely go unbeaten in the big 12, but most of the better teams are still going to get tagged with a loss or 2 to teams they are favored to beat. I think 9 wins plus a bowl win would be a great season for OSU.

I think OU is going to lose 2 or maybe even 3 games this year.

Should be another wild, fun season. We'll know something about Texas(LSU), TCU(Bama), and WVU(FSU), ISU(Iowa), Baylor(ole Miss), Texas Tech(arz) early.

Dec 21, 2008
Brennan Presley will get a chance at returning I assume. He is an electric playmaker similar to josh Stewart. Has some Barry-esque balance & vision in his hilight clips

Feb 16, 2014
I think Gundy has put together a great team. That said, I expect WVU, kstate, TCU, and Texas to all be significantly tougher than last season. ESPN had the Sills brothers ranked as the number 1 and number 3 dlinemen in the big 12. Dline makes a huge difference in games.

I do think OSU will be favored in every game but Texas and OU, but all it would take is being outplayed on a given saturday and WVU, kstate, or TCU can hang a n l on you. Texas tech, although not good, has beaten Gundy 2 years in a row and the scores have not been that close.

Yeah, LSU would likely go unbeaten in the big 12, but most of the better teams are still going to get tagged with a loss or 2 to teams they are favored to beat. I think 9 wins plus a bowl win would be a great season for OSU.

Should be another wild, fun season. We'll know something about Texas(LSU), TCU(Bama), and WVU(FSU), ISU(Iowa), Baylor(ole Miss), Texas Tech(arz) early.
There’s little chance this year’s LSU would go through this conference undefeated. LSU will be lucky to get 10 wins this year imo.

OSU will be a 10-win regular season team.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
No, it doesn't at all, given the number of times they played the last game of the season with the Big 12 title on the line.
Lets examine that statement then. The number of times they played the last game of the season with the big 12 title on the line. 2013, 2015 and 2016. 2015/2016- Who was the qb? Oh yeah, Rudolph. They had Carson or Hill (or both) at rb, they had Washington both years. Loaded on offensive talent those years. Planets seemed to align for some Ws with those players.

2013 was weird because Osu was the preseason favorite to win the conference, and while a victory over OU would have given them the conference title, the loss made them 3rd. At any rate, it remains rare for them to get into that game as the last time they even sniffed it was 4 years ago. WIth the talent they have returning , i can see them being "in the running" in the final couple weeks of the season and their loss to OU will be a distant memory by then.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

I dont see OU losing 3 next season. They could have a repeat of last year's 12-2 though. But i do believe they will improve on both sides of the ball this year.

There’s little chance this year’s LSU would go through this conference undefeated. LSU will be lucky to get 10 wins this year imo.

OSU will be a 10-win regular season team.
Lsu will not be half the team they were last year, they lost most all of their best talent and of course the passing coordinator. THey'll go back to fighting for 3rd place again

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So how does this whole Gundy-OAN impact the voters in the Polls ?

I'll be we drop in the next pre-season poll and will be held back all along the way . . . sucks.

Feb 18, 2009

"Seems" ?!?!?!?!?!?!? It is the case.:D