How is OSU football gonna work...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I thought I saw at lunch that in the big 10, any player testing positive for covid will have to sit out 21 days. I had to have read that wrong right? Then again, I'm not sure how long the other conferences have said. What's the time limit in the Big 12?

If true, 21 days out in a season that is only 56 days long. Wow.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I thought I saw at lunch that in the big 10, any player testing positive for covid will have to sit out 21 days. I had to have read that wrong right? Then again, I'm not sure how long the other conferences have said. What's the time limit in the Big 12?

If true, 21 days out in a season that is only 56 days long. Wow.

Per #3 Nebraska, Ohio st or Iowa could not play today

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

Listening to sports radio on the way home and heard an interesting opinion. They said these restriction make it sound like the people who didn't want the season insisted on such strict regulations as kind of a middle finger to all the people who have been complaining about it these last 3 weeks. Like "OK, you want to play, go and ahead play but good luck having much of a season with THIS".

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Listening to sports radio on the way home and heard an interesting opinion. They said these restriction make it sound like the people who didn't want the season insisted on such strict regulations as kind of a middle finger to all the people who have been complaining about it these last 3 weeks. Like "OK, you want to play, go and ahead play but good luck having much of a season with THIS".
That is one way to see it, the other is this is what is medically required to play safely.

Oct 30, 2007

The 5% shutdown threshold seems really odd to me. Why would it matter how many players a team has out as long as they're quarantined away from the rest of the team? It seems arbitrary in nature instead of being based off scientific reasoning.

What would the CFP committee do with an undefeated Ohio State team if they're only able to play 5 to 6 games?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That is one way to see it, the other is this is what is medically required to play safely.
You forgot the other, which is "we jumped the gun on our decision, did it with little to no explanation, reversed course on our decision in one week, thought we were the straw that stirred the drink & everyone would follow, & now we realize the lack of unity in our decision, the absolutely disastrous way we handled it, the fraction in our membership, & the financial costs involved, so now we wanna play, under the strictest possible conditions."

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
You forgot the other, which is "we jumped the gun on our decision, did it with little to no explanation, reversed course on our decision in one week, thought we were the straw that stirred the drink & everyone would follow, & now we realize the lack of unity in our decision, the absolutely disastrous way we handled it, the fraction in our membership, & the financial costs involved, so now we wanna play, under the strictest possible conditions."
They want to play because the pressure not to became too strong, but they still want to pretend like they think Covid is a threat to 18-22 y/o’s.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The 5% shutdown threshold seems really odd to me. Why would it matter how many players a team has out as long as they're quarantined away from the rest of the team? It seems arbitrary in nature instead of being based off scientific reasoning.

What would the CFP committee do with an undefeated Ohio State team if they're only able to play 5 to 6 games?
Part of it has to do with the effects of false negatives. The probability for it grows as true cases grow. Sensitivity is the number of true positives captured. So, 95% sensitivity with only 2 true cases and you're likely to catch them all. As that number grows, the probability of catching them all decreases, especially as you sum across all 14 teams (8 true cases per 14 teams does likely mean someone had false negative test). It also makes effective contact tracing harder, though any threshold is somewhat arbitrary. Obviously, they're setting it low to have fairly stringent criteria.

Oct 30, 2007
Part of it has to do with the effects of false negatives. The probability for it grows as true cases grow. Sensitivity is the number of true positives captured. So, 95% sensitivity with only 2 true cases and you're likely to catch them all. As that number grows, the probability of catching them all decreases, especially as you sum across all 14 teams (8 true cases per 14 teams does likely mean someone had false negative test). It also makes effective contact tracing harder, though any threshold is somewhat arbitrary. Obviously, they're setting it low to have fairly stringent criteria.
I would agree with this argument if the Big 10 was doing weekly testing, but they're planning to do daily testing. Even with false negatives, they should still be able to identify and quarantine positive cases efficiently. IMO, the 5% shutdown threshold is excessive.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Well they can get it. It is very contagious. And it is never fun to get a fever and a cough.
They can get a lot of things. Strep, flu, etcetera; none of those are fun and still none are a threat to the lives of healthy 18-22 year old athletes including Covid. Yet you have pols that want to pretend like it is a threat in order to make playing football very difficult (among other things) to fulfill an agenda.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Well they can get it. It is very contagious. And it is never fun to get a fever and a cough.
They can get a lot of things. Strep, flu, etcetera; none of those are fun and still none are a threat to the lives of healthy 18-22 year old athletes including Covid. Yet you have pols that want to pretend like it is a threat in order to make playing football very difficult (among other things) to fulfill an agenda.
Actually, they have a higher risk of dying from the flu at their age.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk