How is Oklahoma doing as a state?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I catch an OSU home game ever now and then; the campus has changed dramatically.
Yeah, OU sucks. So does Norman for being the worst Big 12 town for live music. But getting back to the original poster, one of the most outstanding recent additions, besides the McKnight Center, is the new Spears School of Business as pictured.

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
impressive! Is that near downtown?
Sort of... It will be just southwest of the OU Health Sciences Center where the newer General Electric building went up just off I-235 and 10th street. The city is going after the company I work for pretty hard trying to get us to be one of the "keystone" tenants/employers in this newly proposed district.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Me thinks he is just equating homeless with skid row. I mean, I haven't heard of the bubonic plague bring in OKC.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Hmm..okay. Well, that's what I was talking about.
Yeah, skid row and it's san Fransisco counterpart are light years ahead of the rest of the country in terms of filth and homelessness.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yes, Oklahoma is OK...but we have gone a bit on the lib side more lately and I am seeing more homelessness as a result (IMHO) here in Tulsa. I hope we can get a good ten years out of our new outstanding park before they let it become overrun down the line...right now it's an outstanding family friendly place and even dog crap free five days a week. OKC, Tulsa and Stillwater have all become fantastic places in most all areas, downtowns are sparkling (especially Tulsa) and it's become a somewhat hip place to be...mostly due to capitalist investing in cityscapes and FAR less so, IMHO, public monies. Btw, happiness doesn't have anything to do with political affiliation, IMHO it is opening your eyes and being kind to those around you...Politics is for the small minded who have yet to figure out that their own life is far to finite to quibble over such trivia.

One of the main, if not THE main, thing that has made Oklahoma better than other areas is our cost of living...which enables us to travel to other areas MUCH more routinely than those less fortunate who live in sprawling big cities on the left coast where the cost of living is way too high due to high taxes killing business and personal ability to buy real estate. You fix that by getting LESS outraged politicians who are more concerned about making things better and LESS concerned about re-elections and, even more importantly, getting private citizens to care and put their money where their mouth is...like Boone Pickens and George Keiser...both on opposite ends of politics...but both with a desire to improve communities.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
One of the main, if not THE main, thing that has made Oklahoma better than other areas is our cost of living...which enables us to travel to other areas MUCH more routinely than those less fortunate who live in sprawling big cities on the left coast where the cost of living is way too high due to high taxes killing business and personal ability to buy real estate.
California is #1 most well traveled state... Oklahoma is #46...

I am not sure you could be more wrong about the travel thing. Sure the cost of living is higher but incomes are also much higher. CA has a handful of airports that are bigger and better connected than anything in OK.

https://www.digitalthirdcoast.com/blog/most-and-least-well-traveled-states

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
From afar, it appears that Oklahoma is still the same back-asswards, poor, Southern state it has always been. The only possible appeal is the cost of living, but then again - undesirable locals are always cheap. Econ 101. As for the Okies who are returning, it's only because Paradise isn't cheap.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
From afar, it appears that Oklahoma is still the same back-asswards, poor, Southern state it has always been. The only possible appeal is the cost of living, but then again - undesirable locals are always cheap. Econ 101. As for the Okies who are returning, it's only because Paradise isn't cheap.
Upon closer examination, outsiders will find they're out of date when it comes to Oklahoma. Since 2018, alcohol laws have been modernized, along with medical marijuana legalized without it being overly strict, like it is in other states. Oklahoma will never be like or as ass backwards as some old south states, such as Alabama and Mississippi.

Furthermore, Oklahoma City sits at the top of North America's cities and major counties as the easiest place to do business for small- and medium-sized firms, according to Arizona State University’s Center for the Study of Economic Liberty: https://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/2116409908? But Tulsa better get on the ball, because it wasn't even ranked in the study.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'll take friendly, helpful southern people any day of the week over your "Paradise" that's really only good to visit rather than live in. And it doesn't matter the color of their skin, I know them from all races.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I never want to live anywhere where when someone is asked, "How far is your commute to work?', and they answer with minutes and not a distance. My commute is about 22 miles.
Wait, so a commute of 5 minutes is bad? But 22 miles isn't?

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
California is #1 most well traveled state... Oklahoma is #46...

I am not sure you could be more wrong about the travel thing. Sure the cost of living is higher but incomes are also much higher. CA has a handful of airports that are bigger and better connected than anything in OK.

https://www.digitalthirdcoast.com/blog/most-and-least-well-traveled-states
Pretty limited search terms they used for the study, 99% of my travel searches wouldn't qualify me as well travelled because I go directly to airline and hotel sites.