How do we finish?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Top 10 wins in Gundy tenure...
#7 West Virginia 2018
#8 Texas A&M 2011
#10 West Virginia 2016
#10 OU 2011
#4 Stanford 2011
#3 Missouri 2008
#6 Texas 2018
#5 TCU 2015
#3 Baylor 2013

Btw, We have beaten at least one top 25 team every year of Gundy's tenure...
2005 beat Texas Tech #13
2006 beat Nebraska #20
2007 beat Kansas State #25
2008 beat Missouri #3
2009 beat Georgia #13
2010 beat Baylor #22
2011 beat A&M #8, Texas #22, Kansas State #17, Oklahoma #10, Stanford #4
2012 beat Texas Tech #23
2013 beat Texas Tech #15, Texas #23, Baylor #3
2014 beat Oklahoma #23
2015 beat TCU #5
2016 beat Texas #22, Colorado #11
2017 beat West Virginia #22, Iowa State #24, Virginia Tech #22
2018 beat Boise State #17, West Virginia #7, Texas #6, Missouri #24
2019 beat Kansas State #24, Iowa State #23
2020 beat Iowa State #17 so far
False. Those were current rankings at the time the game was played. Looking at final rankings, he's won 3 games (in 21 attempts) against final top 10 teams, which includes our victory over Stanford in 2011, which I consider an outlier year in the Gundy tenure.

Other than that, we beat TCU who ended up 7th in 2015 and #9 ranked Texas in 2018. No others.

He's won 15 out of 50 (0.300) against final top 25 teams.
He's won 40 out of 163 (0.245) against P5 teams that ended up with a winning record.

Those are pathetic #'s. We get our wins cheaply by beating up on non-P5 and weak conference opponents.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
False. Those were current rankings at the time the game was played. Looking at final rankings, he's won 3 games (in 21 attempts) against final top 10 teams, which includes our victory over Stanford in 2011, which I consider an outlier year in the Gundy tenure.

Other than that, we beat TCU who ended up 7th in 2015 and #9 ranked Texas in 2018. No others.

He's won 40 out of 163 (0.245) against P5 teams that ended up with a winning record.

Those are pathetic #'s. We get our wins cheaply by beating up on non-P5 and weak conference opponents.
This is the most telling information of the type of Coach Gundy is and has become.

Beat Tulsa, a directional school, and a bad Power 5 team out of conference.

He fought Holder on beefing up the non con correct?

Then beat Kansas and and a couple of Big 12 teams that are having down years and......Voila....
We're in a bowl and a large enough pecentage of OSU fans are happy.

From Assistant coaching hiring, to recruiting, to game plans, to game management, he's put together the safest formula to accomplish those goals each year.

He definitely has the "auto pilot" formula figured out.

For some.....mainly those that remember OSU football as a cellar dweller, thats good enough for them.

To them....at least we're not in football hell like they remember the '90's.

To others, like myself, I consider what we're doing as football purgatory watching the same act play out over and over and over.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
We have competed for the championship in 7 years of Gundy's teams...not counting this year...that's actually more than 1/3rd of the time. Certainly while we have had opportunities, we have only gotten over the hump once. This is the ou problem...it's what holds us back, not simply coaching.
Dear Rack,

It has come to our attention that you are misusing the term "compete". In order to compete for a title one must enter the venue where said title will be decided.

Our independent audit of Oklahoma State University football only reveals one instance of being engaged in such activities. We realize proper terminology use is not the norm, but your incorrect usage has been flagged by the dictionary police, the national thesaurus association, and bibliophiles anonymous.

Vernacular Police

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
For some.....mainly those that remember OSU football as a cellar dweller, thats good enough for them.

To them....at least we're not in football hell like they remember the '90's.

To others, like myself, I consider what we're doing as football purgatory watching the same act play out over and over and over.
100% agree

I'm in the latter category. I'd rather have a chance at something better than guaranteeing our mediocrity by design.

It's clear, though, that a ton of our fanbase is in the former category. Long as we're not 0-10-1, they are happy as can be, as evidenced by their rabid defense of #gundyball.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
100% agree

I'm in the latter category. I'd rather have a chance at something better than guaranteeing our mediocrity by design.
As the very least, its becoming boring and uninspirational.
I think more and more OSU fans are catching on which means I think ticket sales are getting ready to show how uninspired OSU fans have become about this version of Gundy

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Beating teams when they are in the top 10 drops them out of the top 10...of course. This is the freaking point of what happens when you beat a top 10 team. So it's an extremely stupid argument you make. The fact is that no one is totally satisfied without winning them all...but many have decided to actually enjoy our football success rather than constantly focus on our failures which are mainly in one game. Some of you are to the point that I think you might actually be rooting for us to lose. For me it's still more fun to win than to lose, so I actually enjoyed the heck out of the game yesterday and I'm not rooting for a coaching change at the top...if you can't enjoy Oklahoma State football with the current coach, I'd suggest you stop watching it for the next five or so years at least.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
We have competed for the championship in 7 years of Gundy's teams...not counting this year...that's actually more than 1/3rd of the time. Certainly while we have had opportunities, we have only gotten over the hump once. This is the ou problem...it's what holds us back, not simply coaching.
7 years?? So we’ve been in the championship game 7 times??? Yeah which years were those? Coaching has held us back...it’s not like our coaches have perfect game plans every time they take the field. Hell the game plan in bedlam sucked...and even Gundy said so. Last time I checked that’s coaching...but I could be wrong

Nov 14, 2010
Gundy is the player that is good with being the best player on his team, but doesn't want to put the effort into being the best player in the state.

He's going to keep doing enough to keep his job and, based on the systems hes put in place, that's about it.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
College football is an oligarchy. OSU should have played for a NC in 2011, but didn't' get 'invited'.

You might not be cut out to be a fan of a school like OSU. Just pick Bama or OU or Notre Dame and go be a fan of those teams. They can lose a game and still get 'invited'.
While you're at it, become a Yankees and Lakers fan. Just pick the biggest budget teams in every sport and be a fan of those teams.
I guess you like mediocrity....just cause I want better. Go cry me a river.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Dear Rack,

It has come to our attention that you are misusing the term "compete". In order to compete for a title one must enter the venue where said title will be decided.

Our independent audit of Oklahoma State University football only reveals one instance of being engaged in such activities. We realize proper terminology use is not the norm, but your incorrect usage has been flagged by the dictionary police, the national thesaurus association, and bibliophiles anonymous.

Vernacular Police
7 years?? So we’ve been in the championship game 7 times??? Yeah which years were those? Coaching has held us back...it’s not like our coaches have perfect game plans every time they take the field. Hell the game plan in bedlam sucked...and even Gundy said so. Last time I checked that’s coaching...but I could be wrong
You do know 2011-2016 there was no CCG? We won the conference in 2011, and was within one game of winning multiple times. I don’t think it adds up to seven times though. I’d have to do more digging.

Conference record is a pretty good barometer. Here’s how we did in the 10 year span from 2010-2019.

“Big 12 record since 2010: 58-31
Best conference finish of 2010s: First (8-1, 2011)

Though Mike Gundy and Co. only have one conference title to show for it, Oklahoma State’s 58 Big 12 wins in the 2010s were the second-most of any team in the conference during that stretch, only trailing in-state rival Oklahoma.”

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ecade-oklahoma-texas-baylor-kansas-150333884/

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
As the very least, its becoming boring and uninspirational.
I think more and more OSU fans are catching on which means I think ticket sales are getting ready to show how uninspired OSU fans have become about this version of Gundy
I can only hope. Dave mentioned on the radio yesterday that the crowd seemed smaller than it should, but never came out and said why he thought that could be the case. He mentioned the dull weather maybe having an impact, but nothing more. It's obvious that people didn't feel like watching a high school football game when there's basically no reason to watch. We know exactly what we'll see. And we know that no matter what miraculous outcomes happen, we have zero shot at making any national noise. It's boring, uninspired, flat, bland, unemotional, and has a very low ceiling. People don't typically pay hefty sums of their hard-earned $$$ and sacrifice their weekends for such a product.

Nov 14, 2010
You do know 2011-2016 there was no CCG? We won the conference in 2011, and was within one game of winning multiple times. I don’t think it adds up to seven times though. I’d have to do more digging.

Conference record is a pretty good barometer. Here’s how we did in the 10 year span from 2010-2019.

“Big 12 record since 2010: 58-31
Best conference finish of 2010s: First (8-1, 2011)

Though Mike Gundy and Co. only have one conference title to show for it, Oklahoma State’s 58 Big 12 wins in the 2010s were the second-most of any team in the conference during that stretch, only trailing in-state rival Oklahoma.”

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ecade-oklahoma-texas-baylor-kansas-150333884/
I don't know the answer to this question, but how many other teams could also make the claim that, if they had beaten OU, they would have been Big 12 Champions, or at least Co- Champions.

Which, in that case, OSU fans are able to make the claim that we played in a quasi Championship game because it was the last conference game of our season.

If we had played them in October, like other teams did, is that valid?

OSU has averaged finishing in 4th place in the league since 2014.

I don't think anyone is unhappy about the Todd Monken period.

I think most fans that are not happy think this transition started when Gundy hired Yurcich.

Not that Yurcich turned out to be terrible or anything, but it was the beginning of Gundy reclaiming control of the offense.

Since then, many of us think that his increased control has led to the steady downward trend in our offense especially schematically

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
I can only hope. Dave mentioned on the radio yesterday that the crowd seemed smaller than it should, but never came out and said why he thought that could be the case. He mentioned the dull weather maybe having an impact, but nothing more. It's obvious that people didn't feel like watching a high school football game when there's basically no reason to watch. We know exactly what we'll see. And we know that no matter what miraculous outcomes happen, we have zero shot at making any national noise. It's boring, uninspired, flat, bland, unemotional, and has a very low ceiling. People don't typically pay hefty sums of their hard-earned $$$ and sacrifice their weekends for such a product.
I was there

It was a completely dead atmosphere.

With as weird as this year has been, and coming off of last week, that was to be expected though.

Tech was 100% a trap game

There was no way to keep from being flat as fans or players for that matter.

We are fortunate that Tech pulled that onside kick fiasco and threw a pick 6.

Losing Wallace, Hubbard, some defensive players etc... next year's Season Ticket sales will be interesting to follow

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Dear Rack,

Vernacular Police
Competing for the title is having the first - third best conference record....we have competed for the Conference Championship the following years with Gundy as head coach, some of the fans on this board have a hard time grasping that Gundy's coaching tenure has been outstanding in terms of our program history.

Years Oklahoma State Competed for the Conference title
Year Conference record Rank by record
2009 6-2 tied for 2nd but did not play for title in old divisional system
2010 6-2 tied for 1st by record but did not play for title in old divisional system
2011 8-1 Champion
2013 7-2 played OU for title and beat BU who won the title
2015 7-2 second played ou for title
2016 7-2 second played ou for title

Also "competed" for the title
2017 6-3 third...so competing for title? maybe not, but very close to it
2019 5-4 third...competing?

So right there is 6 years we CLEARLY competed for the title and 8 total years we have basically completed for the Big 12 title...This is 50% of Gundy's tenure.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I was there

It was a completely dead atmosphere.
With as weird as this year has been, and coming off of last week, that was to be expected though.

Tech was 100% a trap game

There was no way to keep from being flat as fans.

Losing Wallace, Hubbard, some defensive players etc... next year's Season Ticket sales will be interesting to follow
It's 2020 Covid...every game is "flat" in comparision...no doubt Tech game would have been flat after the Bedlam let down...just as ever year we don't play them last game...which I'm relieved we didn't this year.

Nov 14, 2010
It's 2020 Covid...every game is "flat" in comparision...no doubt Tech game would have been flat after the Bedlam let down...just as ever year we don't play them last game...which I'm relieved we didn't this year.
If we're not going to play OU last, then we are really going to need Kansas or Tech next.

Or...a bye week.

Someone where we can be flat and still win like yesterday.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
@Herecomesbullets said "OSU has averaged finishing in 4th place in the league since 2014."

Two 2nd place finishes and two 3rd place finishes along with 2 outliers of 7th place finishes, 100% winning records...
2014 - 7, final record 7-6...highlights...beat #18 OU in Norman and won the Cactus bowl vs Washington
2015 - 2, final record 10-3 final ranking #20...started season with 10 wins and beat Texas and #5 TCU
2016 - 2, final record 10-3 final ranking #11...beat #22 Texas and #10 WVU and #11 Colorado in the Alamo
2017 - 3, final record 10-3 final ranking #14...beat Texas, #22 WVU, #24 ISU, and #22 Virginia Tech in Bowl
2018 - 7, final record 7-6...beat #17 Boise State, #6 Texas, #7 WVU, and #24 Missouri in the Bowl
2019 - 3, final record 8-5...beat #23 ISU, and #24 KSU
What's your point? This is one of the best runs in our history...

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Competing for the title is having the first - third best conference record....we have competed for the Conference Championship the following years with Gundy as head coach, some of the fans on this board have a hard time grasping that Gundy's coaching tenure has been outstanding in terms of our program history.

Years Oklahoma State Competed for the Conference title
Year Conference record Rank by record
2009 6-2 tied for 2nd but did not play for title in old divisional system
2010 6-2 tied for 1st by record but did not play for title in old divisional system
2011 8-1 Champion
2013 7-2 played OU for title and beat BU who won the title
2015 7-2 second played ou for title
2016 7-2 second played ou for title

Also "competed" for the title
2017 6-3 third...so competing for title? maybe not, but very close to it
2019 5-4 third...competing?

So right there is 6 years we CLEARLY competed for the title and 8 total years we have basically completed for the Big 12 title...This is 50% of Gundy's tenure.
Thats 1 year that we won it, 1 year we tied for the division, 2 years we didn't play for it, then 3 years where we played OU last.

How many of those 3 years could other teens also make the claim that if they had beaten OU they would have been Big Champions or Co Champions

You're making the claim that we played.OU for the title because we got to play them last.

If we had played them in October and early November, like other teams did, then we are in the same boat they were.

So.... you need to mend your claim from, "we played for a title" to, like every other team in the league, we had to beat OU to win the title.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Amen Rack. I try to be a realist about what OSU sports can be. Stillwater ain't South Bend, Tuscaloosa. or Clemson. I am with Boone, who said he wanted us to be competitive. Would I like to beat OU more, sure. I am more than old. I qualify as an ancient, but that brings some wisdom that some of the high testosterone posters lack. A hell of a lot more programs have digressed by impatiently firing winning coaches than have emerged at a new level.
Texas is a perfect example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.