House Across From Westboro Baptist Is Painted With Gay Pride Rainbow Colors

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeAggie

Assistant to the Moderater
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
Honestly, that depends on the translation, there a a variety of words in hebrew and greek that are translated to hell in english, sometimes losing their original meaning. Hades, sheol, tartarus and geenna are the most common words. Sheol literally means "place of the dead" in Hebrew and does not carry the connotation that "hell" in english does. Underworld may be a better translation. Hades also carries those connotations. The only two that might actually be similar to what people would call hell is tartarus and geenna, and they are not used much at all. Sorry if that doesn't answer your question, but its not as easy to answer in a short and concise manner on a message board, if you are interested in diving further I recommend Strong's concordance.
Exactly. A few thoughts:

*Sheol essentially means "grave" and describes the resting place of the body, not the soul.

*Tartarus is stolen straight from Greek mythology and is used only once. It's referred to as a place where angels are sent to be punished, not humans.

*Gehenna (Geenna) is the word that accounts for almost all the NT references to Hell. Except, Gehenna was a real place. It was a large valley outside of Jerusalem where the Canaanites and Phoenicians would sacrifice children to Moloch. In Jesus' time, it was used by locals as a place to dump and burn the bodies of criminals and the diseased. It wasn't translated to "Hell" until the KJV came along.

OrangeAggie

Assistant to the Moderater
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
You are correct in the satan part. Most of the Christian views on satan come from Zoroastrian theology which was very prevalent in the Middle East in the centuries prior to and after Jesus' life and death. Another problem is misidentifying the serpent (an animal) in the OT or mistaking the satan, an angel subordinate to God in Job (check the hebrew, and you will see what I mean). In the new testament, most of the information on "Satan" comes from the skechy portion of revelation (chapter 4 onward), likely added in the 2nd century by a gnostic author. Hell has more legitimacy, but can still be debated pretty thoroughly.
Yeah, Zoroastrianism is probably where the overall notion of Satan originated from. In the modern Western world, I think the depiction of Satan is most heavily influenced by Dante's Inferno, Paradise Lost, and the story of Faust.

okstate987

Special Teams Coach
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Yeah, Zoroastrianism is probably where the overall notion of Satan originated from. In the modern Western world, I think the depiction of Satan is most heavily influenced by Dante's Inferno, Paradise Lost, and the story of Faust.
It's pretty normal to try to personify evil, the problem is it leads to theological issues and doesn't make much sense rationally. Pure evil is much harder to come by that pure good imo.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
^ See. Criticizing Muslims is nothing new on this board. Hilarious that some try to claim such a thing doesn't exist. bleedinorange isn't afraid to do it but I don't see him being a big baby every time someone pokes fun of Christians, either.
bleedinorange also has a sense of humor and perspective, two qualities often lacking around here.

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
^ See. Criticizing Muslims is nothing new on this board. Hilarious that some try to claim such a thing doesn't exist. bleedinorange isn't afraid to do it but I don't see him being a big baby every time someone pokes fun of Christians, either.
Not everyone is claiming to be a Christian is a Christian, and most will not stand up for the extreme whacko's that claim to be Christian. I don't hear of anyone in Islam speaking up against or taking action against their extreme whackos. It seems the news reports are always showing a lot of cheering from the masses when the Islamic extreme whackos does something bad.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
Not everyone is claiming to be a Christian is a Christian, and most will not stand up for the extreme whacko's that claim to be Christian. I don't hear of anyone in Islam speaking up against or taking action against their extreme whackos. It seems the news reports are always showing a lot of cheering from the masses when the Islamic extreme whackos does something bad.
So a Christian extremist isn't really a Christian but a Muslim extremist is most definitely a Muslim. That's an unbiased opinion if I ever heard one! :rolleyes:

You don't hear it because you pay no attention to it. They do it all of the time. Maybe if you'd step out of your little Fox News bubble once in a while you'd actually run into it. It seems you let a 20 second video recording of a small street in BFE define your entire perspective of over a billion people because you're naive and refuse to believe otherwise.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
So a Christian extremist isn't really a Christian but a Muslim extremist is most definitely a Muslim. That's an unbiased opinion if I ever heard one! :rolleyes:

You don't hear it because you pay no attention to it. They do it all of the time. Maybe if you'd step out of your little Fox News bubble once in a while you'd actually run into it. It seems you let a 20 second video recording of a small street in BFE define your entire perspective of over a billion people because you're naive and refuse to believe otherwise.
Some people have very selective hearing. Especially when it allows them to claim their faith is better than another faith