House Across From Westboro Baptist Is Painted With Gay Pride Rainbow Colors

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
by EYDER PERALTA
March 19, 201312:24 PM

Enlarge image

Planting Peace is painting their house across the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka with the colors of the gay pride rainbow.
Courtesy of Carol Hartsell/Huffington Post

Aaron Jackson took inspiration from a 9-year-old kid who stood up to Westboro Baptist Church protesters.
As Mark wrote last year, Josef Miles stood in front of protesters carrying signs that read "God Hates [Gays]" with his own sign that read "God Hates No One."
Today, Jackson is following through on a project that started about six months ago when he decided to buy a house across the street from the infamous church in Topeka, Kan.
Jackson and volunteers began painting the house in the colors of the gay pride rainbow. Once they are done, they will also add a huge rainbow flag in front of the house.
"It looks like something that should be at the U.N., not in a residential neighborhood," Jackson told The Destin Log.
Jackson, whose charity Planting Peace, has opened orphanages and bought endangered forest land in Peru, told Gawker earlier today that they have renamed the building "Equality House" and the project seeks to fight bigotry.
As we've explained before, Westboro Baptist has attracted publicity in recent years for protesting against homosexuality, abortion and other issues outside the funerals of military veterans and celebrities.
Gawker explains that Jackson's plan is:
"... to ride the coattails of Westboro's own media strategy. 'We're going to take the negative attention and try to spin it into something positive,' Hammet said. 'Instead of millions of children around the world getting this hate message, they're going to see this message of compassion and love.'"​
The Kansas City Fox affiliate reports that Jackson said throughout the day, people have driven past the house "honking horns, taking pictures."
"There has been no negative response," Jackson said.
Westboro responded in its usual way. (Don't click, if you're easily offended.)
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...oro-baptist-is-painted-with-gay-pride-rainbow

kulanapan

Territorial Marshal
Nov 27, 2012
Dallas
cafehayek.com
When people start recognizing the charade, they'll stop getting attention. These people don't actually believe what they say, they're just a bunch of lawyers trying to incite a violent response. And frankly, anyone who responds to them in a manner that would involve a lawsuit deserves what they get.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
When people start recognizing the charade, they'll stop getting attention. These people don't actually believe what they say, they're just a bunch of lawyers trying to incite a violent response. And frankly, anyone who responds to them in a manner that would involve a lawsuit deserves what they get.
I agree, however, I do like the good old fashioned non violent protest.

OrangeAggie

Assistant to the Moderater
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
That's a myth. They are definitely trying to incite a violent response, but they believe every word they say.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
Of course they believe what they say. Just read what one of their estranged children have said about them. I'd love to see sources that prove that they exist to try and entice people to attack them so that they can sue. But this is the same made up claim that is made for every whack job that proselytizes unpopular religious opinions (see Preacher Bob).

Where are all of the court cases that fund the $200,000 they spend annually on protesting? I've been able to find that they've won ~$143,000 in the 90s and seeking another ~$100,000 in lawyer fees now after defending themselves in a lawsuit brought upon them by a marine's father and that father lost the case. But those barely make a dent in the cost of doing business. They're funded by their 70 or so member congregation and refuse outside donations.

You don't abuse your kids for decades and disown them for "show." You don't continue something for 20 years as a "business model to make money" when the money being made is miniscule compared to the cost of doing "business."

They're nut jobs and all proof points to it.

kulanapan

Territorial Marshal
Nov 27, 2012
Dallas
cafehayek.com
Of course they believe what they say. Just read what one of their estranged children have said about them. I'd love to see sources that prove that they exist to try and entice people to attack them so that they can sue. But this is the same made up claim that is made for every whack job that proselytizes unpopular religious opinions (see Preacher Bob).

Where are all of the court cases that fund the $200,000 they spend annually on protesting? I've been able to find that they've won ~$143,000 in the 90s and seeking another ~$100,000 in lawyer fees now after defending themselves in a lawsuit brought upon them by a marine's father and that father lost the case. But those barely make a dent in the cost of doing business. They're funded by their 70 or so member congregation and refuse outside donations.

You don't abuse your kids for decades and disown them for "show." You don't continue something for 20 years as a "business model to make money" when the money being made is miniscule compared to the cost of doing "business."

They're nut jobs and all proof points to it.

10 of the 13 children are lawyers.

I'm willing to believe that Fred Phelps is completely insane. But not his children. The things they say are not even coherent, much less logical. So they're either deranged or they're acting. How can they be money-making law professionals and at the same believe the illogical and irrational things they say? Either it's acting, or it's a strong case of cognitive dissonance.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009

I'm willing to believe that Fred Phelps is completely insane. But not his children. The things they say are not even coherent, much less logical. So they're either deranged or they're acting. How can they be money-making law professionals and at the same believe the illogical and irrational things they say? Either it's acting, or it's a strong case of cognitive dissonance.
insanity is partially genetic.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net

What does being professionals in a field have to do with it? The majority of Americans believe millions of different species fit onto a 440' x 73' x 43' Ark and all of them coexisted without killing one another or eating for a year. Explain the logic behind that. Being a professional in a field means someone must have rational thought?

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
What does being professionals in a field have to do with it? The majority of Americans believe millions of different species fit onto a 440' x 73' x 43' Ark and all of them coexisted without killing one another or eating for a year. Explain the logic behind that. Being a professional in a field means someone must have rational thought?
I'm not going to argue the 'science' of the bible and how some things seem impossible... but when you have the power of the Lord behind things, it is possible.

I am a person of faith, but also of science (example, I believe that God created the world in 7 of 'his' days which could mean 2 billion years. I also believe in evolution). That said, there are some amazing things that God/Jesus did and just because people who are atheists put up an image with numbers, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

God parted the Red Sea, he's saved people from burning in fire, etc. All things are possible through Christ.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
I'm not going to argue the 'science' of the bible and how some things seem impossible... but when you have the power of the Lord behind things, it is possible.

I am a person of faith, but also of science (example, I believe that God created the world in 7 of 'his' days which could mean 2 billion years. I also believe in evolution). That said, there are some amazing things that God/Jesus did and just because people who are atheists put up an image with numbers, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

God parted the Red Sea, he's saved people from burning in fire, etc. All things are possible through Christ.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT

DRINK!!

Feb 25, 2008
The rainbow.

In the Genesis account, a rainbow appears right after the great worldwide flood brought in order to remove sinful and evil-minded man from the earth. It symbolized God's mercy and the covenant He made with Noah (representing mankind) not to destroy the world in such a way again:
"And God said: 'This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
"'I set My RAINBOW in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the RAINBOW shall be seen in the cloud; and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. The RAINBOW shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.' ” (Genesis 9:12-16, NKJV throughout)​

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
The Phelps have been protesting for probably at least 20 years. I guess people never get tired of their outrageously poor taste in protesting.