Honest Coaching Question

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 10, 2007
OKC
How many "great coaches" have actually had sons who wanted to coach at the collegiate level?

A lot depends on who you would consider to be a "great coach." When you objectively look at it, there really aren't more than 5 or 6 guys who could be considered Great (at the collegiate level). What are teh chances that these guys all had sons? What are the chances that out of those 5 or 6 coaches who had sons, that the sons would even be interested in coaching?

I know there have been coaches who have had decent success and have had sons who did okay for themselves, i.e. scott and homer drew, Jeff Capel and his father, Tony Bennett and so on...

Jul 31, 2004
Ft. Collins, CO
Nicely said. I wonder if Duke fans are calling Krcyz...Kryzc....krzcye......hell with it, Coach K a burnout because they lost a bunch of games to teams they never should have. In Cameron.
Don't compare HCSS with Coach Krastrsaydodportiosky. It isn't fair to either of them. Coach K has won multiple championships, it is laughable that you would even bring him into this conversation.

Nov 7, 2004
Sean was a great assistant. He may or may not have the communication skills or the ability to inspire greatness that all great head coaches have.

Bottom line is that he's lost this team. they're simply not playing for him.

OStateMan

Banned
Banned
Feb 4, 2004
Vail, Colorado
Such is the fickle wind of fate.

Forty five days ago, Sean was being hailed by us all as a great hire.
Now, because of this perplexing free-fall by the basketball team and their inability to muster any courage since the OT win over Texas Tech, Sean Sutton is our Little Joey Meyer (the son of legendary coach, Ray Meyer at DePaul).

Although I think Sean has shown himself a very capable coach, I do question his ability to inspire.
Obviously he has lost this team. They don't listen to him. They don't play defense, they don't hustle, they play stupid, undisciplined, playground hoops.

I know he's shorthanded, but it was mostly due to his inability to handle many of those players that chose to leave or he forced out.

Sean's paying for his Gundy-like housecleaning.

My thought is that Sean needs to learn to relate better to ALL sorts of players.
Why is Sean having the problems with these players that other coaches aren't....or aren't reporting.

It's perplexing, for sure.

Aug 5, 2004
Broken Arrow
Such is the fickle wind of fate.

Although I think Sean has shown himself a very capable coach, I do question his ability to inspire.
Obviously he has lost this team. They don't listen to him.
Not really.................do we forget what Eddie was saying about this same group of players last year? Basically, he said, they just don't get it.........it doesn't register out on the court.

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
Not really.................do we forget what Eddie was saying about this same group of players last year? Basically, he said, they just don't get it.........it doesn't register out on the court.
YES, and he said they were the softest group of kids (not men) that he has ever attempted to coach.

Jun 29, 2004
Stillwater
Don't compare HCSS with Coach Krastrsaydodportiosky. It isn't fair to either of them. Coach K has won multiple championships, it is laughable that you would even bring him into this conversation.
The point I was making was that if a HOF coach had this type of team, the "blame" would be more on the players and circumstance (short bench) than on the coach. A rookie coach doesn't get that benefit. I'm not comparing Sean to Coach K.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
Joey was successful at getting himself run out of town. I cannot think of one son of a successful coach who followed his father at that same school and was successful. However, I do believe its not fair to Sean to judge him based on this team. I think he gets a time to get his own players and system installed. Then can he be judged.

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Joey was successful at getting himself run out of town. I cannot think of one son of a successful coach who followed his father at that same school and was successful. However, I do believe its not fair to Sean to judge him based on this team. I think he gets a time to get his own players and system installed. Then can he be judged.
I don't know where you're getting this Joey Meyer was bad for DePaul stuff, the FACTS don't support your statements. IN FACT, he is STILL very successful in basketball at professional levels. He had practically a 60% winning record at DePaul.

Joey, the son of Hall of Fame coach Ray Meyer, as a player he competed for four seasons for DePaul University (Ill.) (1968-71) and scored 1,233 career points and served as co-captain during his senior season.

After serving as an assistant coach on his father's DePaul staff for 11 years, Meyer took over the head coaching reins in 1984.

As the head coach for 13 seasons (1984-85 through 1996-97), he posted a 231-158 record (.594 winning percentage), and posted six 20-win or better seasons, seven NCAA Tournament appearances and three NIT bids. He was named CBS Chevrolet Coach of the Year in 1987 and won the Great Midwest Conference regular season championship in 1991-92.