Homecoming Festivities Canceled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
IF there is a football season, I think it will be a fanless season. Maybe 5-10% attendance.

KU should have an advantage playing in this kind of environment.
It’s such an overreaction. We could social distance wear mask and have at least 50% I bet. But that Doesn't fit the narrative of the sky falling.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
It’s such an overreaction. We could social distance wear mask and have at least 50% I bet. But that Doesn't fit the narrative of the sky falling.
"There is no scientific evidence that peaceful protesting, riots, and looting has increased the spread of covid-19, but churches, back yard bbqs, sporting events, concerts, and anything that will stimulate the economy will cause certain death for all." - CNN, probably.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I don't trust the general public to keep six feet away from each other, probably more if people will be eating, drinking and screaming.

This thing has shown me Americans are going to do what they can get away with. That doesn't bode well for social distancing. Think about how Sooner fans behave. Do you trust them not to spread their spit with 40,000 of them in a stadium?

I don't like this one bit. I also think social distancing and keeping your circle small during a pandemic is better than going on a respirator.

Oct 7, 2008
I'm torn. The one benefit I do see to cancelling sports is making Americans take the pandemic more seriously. Not that we shouldn't be already, but 'Merica.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I'm torn. The one benefit I do see to cancelling sports is making Americans take the pandemic more seriously. Not that we shouldn't be already, but 'Merica.
While a part of me agrees, the town of Stillwater is heavily dependent on football games and even homecoming itself. I can't see how the town's economy does anything but collapse. It may recover quickly, but it's going to be very painful and may lose a solid chunk of its population. I'm not saying I have a solution, but this sucks horrendously bad.

Jul 26, 2005
Broken Arrow, OK
Couldn't they have just scaled Homecoming back a bit instead of canceling it? House decs 1/4 the size so students don't have to pomp together, parade with band members 3 wide in the street for social distancing, etc. Walkaround wouldn't have drawn 100,000 people, or even 50,000 people this year -- it's outside and tell people to wear a mask.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don't trust the general public to keep six feet away from each other, probably more if people will be eating, drinking and screaming.

This thing has shown me Americans are going to do what they can get away with. That doesn't bode well for social distancing. Think about how Sooner fans behave. Do you trust them not to spread their spit with 40,000 of them in a stadium?

I don't like this one bit. I also think social distancing and keeping your circle small during a pandemic is better than going on a respirator.[/QUOTE]

Well no kidding, ALOT of things are better than going on a respirator. Thank god the overwhelming & vast majority of people contracting COVID NEVER see a respirator.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
While a part of me agrees, the town of Stillwater is heavily dependent on football games and even homecoming itself. I can't see how the town's economy does anything but collapse. It may recover quickly, but it's going to be very painful and may lose a solid chunk of its population. I'm not saying I have a solution, but this sucks horrendously bad.
especially when you add in the fact that less students will be on campus.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
That will be an issue, but it's tough to say how big. In person classes are far more popular and schools that announced in person classes fared better with enrollment than those who did online only. On the other hand, Stillwater may get hit with a public health crisis from students spreading it in a fairly small town. That combination may send students home early, which would further kill its economy. We'll find out in a little over a month about how bad it's going to be.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That will be an issue, but it's tough to say how big. In person classes are far more popular and schools that announced in person classes fared better with enrollment than those who did online only. On the other hand, Stillwater may get hit with a public health crisis from students spreading it in a fairly small town. That combination may send students home early, which would further kill its economy. We'll find out in a little over a month about how bad it's going to be.
Thing is, my kid and many others are saying the professors are telling them in person classes will only last 2 weeks then they are going online. Also, many student's classes have now changed to showing as "online" in their schedules instead of showing locations on campus.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Thing is, my kid and many others are saying the professors are telling them in person classes will only last 2 weeks then they are going online. Also, many student's classes have now changed to showing as "online" in their schedules instead of showing locations on campus.

That makes sense. There are definitely professors who think in person classes will be impossible. Thing is, university administration will need more than two weeks of data before shutting it down for lots of reasons, including money and they'll want to try their quarantine procedures. It will go on for at least a month.

The online thing is weird. For most universities, online classes are separate course listings with different fee structures. I don't know about OSU, but other places can't just change a course to online like that. They have to enroll them in the separate online course. The visa stuff is just one example of why they need different course listings altogether: online course agreements where students affirm they have the resources to access the class, facility fees that the university can't charge anymore, and tracking for accreditation, to name a few.

Aug 7, 2006

That would be the professors' opinion. There isn't a plan to go online at a certain time right now. However, there are plans in place if they need to at any given time during the semester if things get bad. My personal opinion is, we will make it to early October before anything changes.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

That would be the professors' opinion. There isn't a plan to go online at a certain time right now. However, there are plans in place if they need to at any given time during the semester if things get bad. My personal opinion is, we will make it to early October before anything changes.
Ok. Spoke to him again. He's not had classes switched, but has heard of students that have. And 2 grad assistants he knows in other majors have told him the 2 weeks going online thing.