Homebrewing

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

InHocPoke

Clone Bone!
Nov 10, 2008
Oklahoma City
I'm interested in brewing my own beer after I get some money from my internship this summer... who all on here does it? And where do you recommend (local or internet) for buying equipment and brewing recipes?

dds115

Free Roverto!!!
Aug 11, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
www.hirecoachgundyscoaches.com
I'm interested in brewing my own beer after I get some money from my internship this summer... who all on here does it? And where do you recommend (local or internet) for buying equipment and brewing recipes?
For your first couple brews, I would go to a local store so you can talk to someone and ask any questions you have. After that, you can go online and buy endless different kits. Your start up cost is going to be somewhere around $125.

Sep 29, 2008
Go check out Learn to Brew in Moore, also learntobrew.com They have all the equipment you will need and also provide lessons on brewing beer. The owner, Chris Milum, has been a brewmaster for several years and is very knowledgable in homebrewing.

InHocPoke

Clone Bone!
Nov 10, 2008
Oklahoma City
Go check out Learn to Brew in Moore, also learntobrew.com They have all the equipment you will need and also provide lessons on brewing beer. The owner, Chris Milum, has been a brewmaster for several years and is very knowledgable in homebrewing.
Yeah I've done tons of reading about it... I was just wondering more if people knew of homebrew shops in OKC/Tulsa to buy ingredients instead of buying off the internet or if people preferred to buy ingredients online

Sep 29, 2008
Yeah I've done tons of reading about it... I was just wondering more if people knew of homebrew shops in OKC/Tulsa to buy ingredients instead of buying off the internet or if people preferred to buy ingredients online
Learn to Brew in Moore, you can look on the internet to check out what they have but you can go to the shop and talk to them and take classes.

Erick

Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit
Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
The Brew Shop on 36th & Penn in OKC is also a great Shop. Chuck knows his stuff. Chris is also very knowledgeable and helpful. First, you need to know what sort of brewing you want to do, like extract/partial mash or all grain. Then figure out what you want to brew. There are some great recipes available and some pretty good clones. If you haven't already, check out this site, it is a great learning tool and guide to all kinds of brewing:
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I think for beginners, you should skip extract and go straight to partial mash.Here is a nice explanation of the process: http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/Tolley/PartialMash1.shtml

Good luck and welcome to brewing!

InHocPoke

Clone Bone!
Nov 10, 2008
Oklahoma City
The Brew Shop on 36th & Penn in OKC is also a great Shop. Chuck knows his stuff. Chris is also very knowledgeable and helpful. First, you need to know what sort of brewing you want to do, like extract/partial mash or all grain. Then figure out what you want to brew. There are some great recipes available and some pretty good clones. If you haven't already, check out this site, it is a great learning tool and guide to all kinds of brewing:
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I think for beginners, you should skip extract and go straight to partial mash.Here is a nice explanation of the process: http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/Tolley/PartialMash1.shtml

Good luck and welcome to brewing!
I've read that for beginners it is ideal to start with extract/grain mix then move on to all grain as your skills improve... I'm probably going to attend a class at the brew shop in okc this summer while i'm living there.

I really want to skip the whole bottling thing and convert my mini fridge in my room into a kegerator and keg my homebrew so then I dont have to wait for bottle conditioning and all that jazz... obviously the disadvantage of that is the portability... but that's not really a huge concern for me

Erick

Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit
Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
I've read that for beginners it is ideal to start with extract/grain mix then move on to all grain as your skills improve... I'm probably going to attend a class at the brew shop in okc this summer while i'm living there.

I really want to skip the whole bottling thing and convert my mini fridge in my room into a kegerator and keg my homebrew so then I dont have to wait for bottle conditioning and all that jazz... obviously the disadvantage of that is the portability... but that's not really a huge concern for me
Yea, Partial Mash is another term for extract with grain mix. The extra equipment is little and the extra effort is very rewarding.

Yes! Kegging is the way to go! What kind of fridge do you have? Some are too small for corny kegs to fit.

InHocPoke

Clone Bone!
Nov 10, 2008
Oklahoma City
Yea, Partial Mash is another term for extract with grain mix. The extra equipment is little and the extra effort is very rewarding.

Yes! Kegging is the way to go! What kind of fridge do you have? Some are too small for corny kegs to fit.
It's your standard GE dorm room fridge... i might have to make a few modifications and get rid of the "freezer" portion that's inside it but it should be able to fit a (up to about 25" or so) corny keg and 5lb CO2.... I don't care if i have to cut into it a lot since it basically sits in my room and keeps 5 beers cold

Here's the exact fridge... it might be a tight squeeze

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=WMR04BAPBB

therico

Ambassador to the East
A/V Subscriber
Sep 4, 2006
日本
What internship are you doing where you actually make money????? :confused:

therico

Ambassador to the East
A/V Subscriber
Sep 4, 2006
日本
Chesapeake working in IT
Big congrats on that one, not many people get internships that pay.
I was extremely lucky when I found one that paid $250/week and housing. I ended up getting accepted too. The best I had seen before that was getting $750 for 3 months of work. Thankfully that one turned me down which led me to the good one.

InHocPoke

Clone Bone!
Nov 10, 2008
Oklahoma City
I was extremely lucky when I found one that paid $250/week and housing. I ended up getting accepted too. The best I had seen before that was getting $750 for 3 months of work. Thankfully that one turned me down which led me to the good one.
I better not share what I'm making then... O-O

joshw

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2009
I have been thinking about trying out homebrewing for a while. Is there any good places online that will show you how and what you need to start? Or anyone here who can give me a basic idea? Thanks!

Sep 29, 2008
WOW, man that sucks. Most of the fire protection internships paid really well while I was there. I had a lower paying internship and it paid $500 - $600 a week and lodging. I had a couple friends that ranged between 18 - 20/hr as an intern.

Sep 29, 2008
I have been thinking about trying out homebrewing for a while. Is there any good places online that will show you how and what you need to start? Or anyone here who can give me a basic idea? Thanks!
I don't know that much about High Gravity in Tulsa but the one in Moore (learn to brew) has classes on Saturdays to teach people how to brew. They have beginner and Advanced classes and also wine making.

therico

Ambassador to the East
A/V Subscriber
Sep 4, 2006
日本
I better not share what I'm making then... O-O
WOW, man that sucks. Most of the fire protection internships paid really well while I was there. I had a lower paying internship and it paid $500 - $600 a week and lodging. I had a couple friends that ranged between 18 - 20/hr as an intern.
I guess that shows you the difference between IT and fire protection and then my field of fitness and recreation ;)