Holder wants recruiting to improve

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 21, 2006
Interesting thing to bring up... I think the only comparable is basketball, and we actually have pulled some top tier talent there on a consistent basis despite fairly poor results on court:
Marcus Smart
Lebryan Nash
James Anderson all five stars in recent years. Plus many more 4 stars when you compare per capita (Cobbins, Evans, Clark were all big gets).
When Eddie was here right after Gundy started we had several in one year and the number one recruiting class in the nation. Granted that class fell apart and Gerald Green went straight pro.
It does make you wonder why football can't do similar things.
Man. That class. What could’ve been

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
That still won't help any Big 12 DBs go in the first round.
FWIW Wvu sent Joseph to the nfl via the first round in 2016. Some of this is perception and nfl drafts players from programs just because they know they were well coached. It's definitely a perception issue battling the big 12. It's a catch-22 though because in order to defeat the perception problem is with actual results. We have to get the stud to commit and play and prove it can be done.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
FWIW Wvu sent Joseph to the nfl via the first round in 2016. Some of this is perception and nfl drafts players from programs just because they know they were well coached. It's definitely a perception issue battling the big 12. It's a catch-22 though because in order to defeat the perception problem is with actual results. We have to get the stud to commit and play and prove it can be done.
OSU had a DB go in the first round in 2014, I'm not saying it's impossible but it's rare. And statistics show you're a hell of a lot more likely to get a high NFL grade, going to a school that's an NFL factory for said position.

All I'm saying is if the kid wants to go to the NFL and guarantee that payday, the SEC is his best option, statistically speaking. I'm not sure what you're trying to convince me of? lol

DBs definitely get stretched in the big 12 more than in the SEC.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
That taller building in the center is actually their trophy case full of national and conference championship trophies. It requires a 5 story building.
Alabama has 28 National Championships
Alabama has 91 Conference Championships across 13 different sports....

Oklahoma State has 51 National Championships
Oklahoma State has 137 Conference Championships.... I stopped counting after three sports!!!!!!

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
OSU had a DB go in the first round in 2014, I'm not saying it's impossible but it's rare. And statistics show you're a hell of a lot more likely to get a high NFL grade, going to a school that's an NFL factory for said position.

All I'm saying is if the kid wants to go to the NFL and guarantee that payday, the SEC is his best option, statistically speaking. I'm not sure what you're trying to convince me of? lol

DBs definitely get stretched in the big 12 more than in the SEC.
I know, that's the problem I was referring to. I'm pretty sure we are on the same page, I'm not trying to convince you of anything other than the big 12 is battling an issue of perception that can be beaten but we need results to prove it. The reason the sec has this reputation is because they keep getting all the best players to commit, guys who will be nfl players regardless of where they go.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Who wouldn't want Gundy to recruit better athletes?
I think Gundy has done a good job of winning a lot of games, but hasn't won the big ones enough. My brother said watching the Bedlam game live only revealed how much more talented the Gooners were than we were.

One certainly can't expect to win the tougher games with 3 star recruits playing 5 star recruits. The odds are great against that in just about every sport.

Holder has a great golf team loaded with the highest ranked amateur golf team in the nation. That talent went on display against a less talented Alabama team recently. And some even more talented golfers are coming to OSU to continue the expectations of our golf team.
Holder wants that for our football team, too.

Although Gundy has done a remarkable job with what he has, the number of players that have gone on to the NFL is also helping the program along, yet, Gundy continues to rank in the low 30s of recruiting classes.

Gundy does seem to naturally prefer those recruits whom are "good, respectful, mama-loving, God-fearing" kids who don't create waves for the program.
I don't think Holder has a problem with that whatsoever. What Holder would like to see....just as every CEO demands in business, is that business continue to improve. Don't get complacent with your present status or you'll soon find yourself behind.

I believe it's acceptable for Boone, Pickens and fans to all expect Gundy step it up a bit talent-wise.
It's worked for our golf, wrestling and baseball teams to rise to higher expectations that don't use Stillwater as a crutch against getting great athletes.

Gundy needs to pick up the pace if we're going to be a consistent, true, Top 10 team.

Aug 21, 2009
Edmond
I will probably get some blow back on this post but if HCMG can not get Dax Hill on campus he may not ever get a 5* recruit. He has never had this much advantage on a 5* guy in his tenure. He definitely has some obstacles to overcome but if this one slips away it may be time to look for a coach that can take us to the next level. Don't get me wrong, I am a Gundy fan. He has done a great job, but I agree with Holder that it takes talent to win championships and if he can't get this 5* he probably isn't the guy to get the talent to win championships.

Fire away.
LOL... you place the future of the OSU football program and the best coach in our history's job on the line based on the whims of an 18 year old kid?

seems legit...

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Alabama has 28 National Championships
Alabama has 91 Conference Championships across 13 different sports....

Oklahoma State has 51 National Championships
Oklahoma State has 137 Conference Championships.... I stopped counting after three sports!!!!!!
Also, if you are going to include all of Alabama's non ncaa national titles, might as well throw in our equestrian titles. Gets us up to like 57.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
Gentlemen - as the comment was made when I mentioned other sports, we are talking football recruiting. Other sports apples and oranges. Heres another football power downtown. Street has a hint:
1529004476129.png

Auburn, Alabama - 2 national championships, 3 Heismen trophies and top 15 winning % in the modern era

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
You know it's not the same thing. First thing Tuscaloosa is about twice the size of Stillwater. And Bama has a mountain of tradition, titles, and 1st round draft picks to overcome the drawbacks of recruiting to a smaller town in the middle of nowhere.

That said, we need to be recruiting better. Is it too much to ask to at least be in the top 25 of the recruiting rankings every year?
So Tuscaloosa has about twice as many sleepy residents as Stillwater........it IS the same. Wasn't talking about tradition or anything else - just the comment that always comes up that it is hard to recruit to Stillwater. I don't think so.....it's not the town.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
So Tuscaloosa has about twice as many sleepy residents as Stillwater........it IS the same. Wasn't talking about tradition or anything else - just the comment that always comes up that it is hard to recruit to Stillwater. I don't think so.....it's not the town.
no, it's not the town.............. it's the same reasons that 98% of all other schools in D1 collegiate football have a hard time landing 5* recruits................