Holder wants recruiting to improve

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You’re talking golf? Golf? Apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It really is, but again Holder was making a point of trying to accomplish impossible things. Another example he used was getting someone who never attended OSU to donate $4 mil to the golf program.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If Holder wants 5* recruits he better be asking "how high" every time Gundy says "jump".
Last year we underachieved in football, the Tenn AD sent Gundy a smiley emoji, and typically tight fisted, Holder gave Gundy a $600,000 / year raise. That sounds like Holder said "how high" to me.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
You do know Clemson had a NC in football long before Dabo Swinney? Again apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did know that. They won a national championship nearly four decades ago, long before any of these recruits were born. Several other non-blue blood programs like Colorado, Washington, Georgia Tech and Auburn have won NC's as well. Our men's basketball program has won back to back NC's before.

If Dabo Swinney could tell recruits they won a NC long before they were born, we can now do the same. Winning a national championship doesn't make a program a blue blood.

Last edited:

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Maybe the key is the new DC. Obviously Gundy is clueless on that side of the ball as has been his DCs up to this point. Maybe we had talent but couldn’t develop them or get then in the right schemes. IDK but the D had been absolutely embarrassing scheme wise. Hope the new guy can have good game plans.

Apr 19, 2011
Holder needs to quit looking at what OU is doing in recruiting right now. Not fair to compare us to a program like OU. It's like comparing OU wrestling to OSU's. I want better players on the defensive side of the ball as well.

Feb 4, 2004
Maybe the key is the new DC. Obviously Gundy is clueless on that side of the ball as has been his DCs up to this point. Maybe we had talent but couldn’t develop them or get then in the right schemes. IDK but the D had been absolutely embarrassing scheme wise. Hope the new guy can have good game plans.
Amen! We’re most likely looking at at least one more conference championship and a BCS playoff spot if we had produced even a modest defense over the last several years.

And as far as recruiting, maybe Holder ought to cough up the recruiting budgets of the “Blue Bloods” before he shoots his mouth off.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I didn't hear the podcast, but I agree with what Coach Holder said. He built Karsten Creek and used it to attract some of the best golf recruits in the world to Stillwater, Oklahoma. He used those recruits to win 25 conference championships and 8 national championships. He didn't accept good, he always strove for greatness. He's walked the path he wants Coach Gundy to walk.

Labron Harris laid a great foundation for Coach Holder to follow in. Coach Gundy had a lot further to go to make us an elite football program. We've come a long way, but Holder doesn't want Gundy to rest on his laurels and become complacent with being good. I respect that.

We've always found elite offensive skill players under Coach Gundy regardless of recruiting stars, but we've never recruited the talent level on defense required to be an elite football program. We're going to have to recruit at a higher level to become an elite program capable of winning a national championship. You can't do that without a balanced roster full of NFL talent on both sides of the ball.
Karstens Creek became the OSU home golf course in 1994. Holder won 6 of his 8 national championships prior to 1994.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
And as far as recruiting, maybe Holder ought to cough up the recruiting budgets of the “Blue Bloods” before he shoots his mouth off.
He just has to figure out where to come up with the extra money.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Last year we underachieved in football, the Tenn AD sent Gundy a smiley emoji, and typically tight fisted, Holder gave Gundy a $600,000 / year raise. That sounds like Holder said "how high" to me.
Amen! We’re most likely looking at at least one more conference championship and a BCS playoff spot if we had produced even a modest defense over the last several years.

I'm not speaking of Gundy's salary. It's sufficient. I'm speaking more to recruiting budgets and little things like getting banners installed in the practice facility without any backlash. We are not going to outspend some of our competition, but we need to take advantage of every reasonable recruiting method we can. I think we do a fine job at recruiting with what we put into it. There is usually only a game or two a year in which we face overall better athletes and even then the difference is not what the star rankings say they should be.

Oct 30, 2007
Karstens Creek became the OSU home golf course in 1994. Holder won 6 of his 8 national championships prior to 1994.
Wow, I actually thought it was older than that. I have a lot of admiration for Coach Holder for getting Karsten Creek built. The fact that he won 6 of his 8 NC's prior to finishing it really speaks to his recruiting prowess as a golf coach.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
Sorry, I don't know of the where to find the podcast. PJ, had and has a somewhat over sized ego for what he accomplished. He "lucked" into 2 big time running backs and a QB not overly recruited. I have not heard Holder's talk but I think we all want at least more 4 stars - these guys do flame but some also do become big time players. Do some 2 stars become big time; yes. Audie Murphy was probably a 1 star but that was a soldier & turned out as we all know. That just does not happen often. I agree G needs to get more 4 stars - he has the whole deal @ Stilly

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
And, Gundy can't do all the recruiting. He runs a GD football program. It's up to his position coaches to do their research, get in touch with these kids and use Gundy to seal the deal on the "elite" level guys. Remember what happened to the last 2 OL coaches we had on campus? They didn't recruit and while Wick was a good coach, he left the cupboard bare and the next coach did nothing to get us any OL talent.

Some of the blame would be on Gundy for sure, but it's not solely on him. He hires these coaches to do a job, and he's letting the ones go who aren't doing it good enough.

To win championships you have to recruit at a high level specifically on defense and the OL. Henson has hit the trails hard and the talent seems to get deeper (and a little better) every year. JBC has done a great job getting quality talent on the DL, and we finally have a decent pair of corners. Safety and LB have been lacking for a while IMO, outside of a select few guys.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Your most logically sound and constructive football post since the great depression, well done! You still threw shade at Gundy (as expected), but the other parts are about right.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Gundy talks often about the kind of kid that would want to play in Stillwater, as if many kids are out of reach. Anyway, this was Holder saying Gundy needs to upgrade the talent, not some random poster.
I know what Holder said.......... I was responding to some on here that act as if Gundy makes no attempts to get highly ranked talent to Stillwater........

Oct 6, 2012
I will probably get some blow back on this post but if HCMG can not get Dax Hill on campus he may not ever get a 5* recruit. He has never had this much advantage on a 5* guy in his tenure. He definitely has some obstacles to overcome but if this one slips away it may be time to look for a coach that can take us to the next level. Don't get me wrong, I am a Gundy fan. He has done a great job, but I agree with Holder that it takes talent to win championships and if he can't get this 5* he probably isn't the guy to get the talent to win championships.

Fire away.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

or maybe, at the very least, he should keep his criticisms in house........... I would have thought he would have learned by now

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I will probably get some blow back on this post but if HCMG can not get Dax Hill on campus he may not ever get a 5* recruit. He has never had this much advantage on a 5* guy in his tenure. He definitely has some obstacles to overcome but if this one slips away it may be time to look for a coach that can take us to the next level. Don't get me wrong, I am a Gundy fan. He has done a great job, but I agree with Holder that it takes talent to win championships and if he can't get this 5* he probably isn't the guy to get the talent to win championships.

Fire away.
I’d rather double the number of four star guys than get one five star guy.