Holder wants recruiting to improve

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I think Gundy has a grasp of the type of kids he wants, factoring in attitude, character, teamwork, and academics. Sometimes it's better to have a 3* athlete with 5* attributes than say, a 4* Devon Thomas.
We used to have a 5* RB recruit who stole money from teammates. Transferred to Lamar and ended up a nobody.

Character first!

ramases2112

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Gundy is to blame for recruiting. Holder has given him nearly every advantage he can by raising the money and putting in to place the facilities we have now. For this one time I am with Holder on a gundy/holder dispute. Recruiting should be way better than it is. We should be competing and winning at least on more than one or two 4 stars a class.

Jun 24, 2011
Gundy is to blame for recruiting. Holder has given him nearly every advantage he can by raising the money and putting in to place the facilities we have now. For this one time I am with Holder on a gundy/holder dispute. Recruiting should be way better than it is. We should be competing and winning at least on more than one or two 4 stars a class.
I don’t think very many are saying our recruiting is fine the way it is. The issue is Holder choosing to air those concerns publicly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Steering the ship.

Holder has hit many an iceberg in his tenure. What he said about recruiting was equivalent to Gundy blaming a loss on an individual player after a game.
Which he has. Blaming a freshman in the TCU game? for holding on a punt return when he should have been blaming the refs. But he has proven he doesn’t know the rules enough to do that. See CMU as well. Him not knowing the rules cost us a W in that one

Feb 18, 2009
anytime an AD opens his mouth publicly and talks shit on the Head Football coach, it's a bad look nationally, locally, you name it. Holder is an idiot when it comes to PR
Pretty sure my post says his method wasn’t brilliant. You can rip Holder all you want and I agree with your comment.

The point he was making wasn’t invalid.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I think you already know the answer to that. How many jobs did he interview for to push that salary up? Even though years ago he said he got paid too much for his “NY Yankees” Job. Oh the irony.
?? So a snowflake stays at a job that is offensive to him and for less money??

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
?? So a snowflake stays at a job that is offensive to him and for less money??
No, it’s just kind of flakey to say how committed you are to OSU and how the job is basically priceless.... and then use it as a bargaining chip to make more money. Also, he knows that increasing his salary decreases his recruiting budget because OSU is not a blue blood with tons of money to throw around. So, here is your built in excuse for not going after 4 and 5 star recruits. Bleed the resources and then you don’t have to worry about the consequences. I think it’s ironic that his view of his value in the market place has replaced his humble beginning and want for OSU to be a high level football program. At some point, the egos just collide.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
The latest from Mark Cooper...

The longtime OSU athletic director said this week he regrets the comments.

“What I should have been doing is encouraging me, as the athletic director, to do a better job of getting the message out that this is a great place to get an education and further your dreams as an athlete, not just in football but across the spectrum of every sport that we offer here,” Holder told the Tulsa World. “And challenge myself to do a better job of that. That's what I regret.”

Holder said he wants to set the record straight: He believes the OSU football staff is doing a fine job of evaluating and developing.

“I just want kids to understand, come here. We'll change your life for the better. We'll get you an education, we'll graduate you and then if you want to be a great player, we'll give you everything that it takes to realize that dream,” Holder said. “That's what I want people to know.”
Link