Hog bait.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Can see it better on my laptop. iPhone was too dark.
I have a couple acquaintances that are professional hog trappers. Do it for a living. Each trap over 1,500 hogs per year, and they tell me that if you do not kill them in your trap that, counter to what many believe, you can keep trapping them in the same set, same location. They have tried every bait, but now operate solely with straight corn. They are meticulous about not loitering, smoking, spitting around their traps. They do not release the traps until the hogs have been frequenting the bait for about one week. This allows the hogs to be less trap weary and you will often catch the entire sounder, rather than 2,3 or so.

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
Can see it better on my laptop. iPhone was too dark.
I have a couple acquaintances that are professional hog trappers. Do it for a living. Each trap over 1,500 hogs per year, and they tell me that if you do not kill them in your trap that, counter to what many believe, you can keep trapping them in the same set, same location. They have tried every bait, but now operate solely with straight corn. They are meticulous about not loitering, smoking, spitting around their traps. They do not release the traps until the hogs have been frequenting the bait for about one week. This allows the hogs to be less trap weary and you will often catch the entire sounder, rather than 2,3 or so.

Using straight corn. I watched the second captured sounder for two weeks as the big momma would not come in the trap. When she finally did, I dropped the gate. The first group I trapped on Friday night came out of the blue. The entire sounder was in the trap so I dropped it. By the time I got out to remove this new sounder, the original group I was watching, showed up 3 times as my cell camera notified me they were there. 23 hogs removed off my land in 24 hrs. Not bad for just getting my trap up and running.

Curious as to what your friends charge for trapping. By the month, by the pig?

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Using straight corn. I watched the second captured sounder for two weeks as the big momma would not come in the trap. When she finally did, I dropped the gate. The first group I trapped on Friday night came out of the blue. The entire sounder was in the trap so I dropped it. By the time I got out to remove this new sounder, the original group I was watching, showed up 3 times as my cell camera notified me they were there. 23 hogs removed off my land in 24 hrs. Not bad for just getting my trap up and running.

Curious as to what your friends charge for trapping. By the month, by the pig?
Until now, they have not charged the landowner, but they got the pigs. They have had a market for them (Texas) and the buyer picks them up. However, the price has dropped and they tell me that if they continue they are considering a "set-up" fee from the landowner to help defray fuel, time, and travel expenses.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
They

They come in every night around 7 pm. It’s been fun watching them every night. No bucks have show up yet. Must still be hanging out with all the boys.
Yeah, I've got two cams up that are getting bucks coming in. They are still coming in three or 4 in a group. Well until this week. Hogs came in for a bit and screwed everything up for a few days. Looks like they are gone now, thank goodness.

My cows do a pretty good job of keeping the hogs run off. Rare, I have hogs on the place for more than a few days. The cows will flat out attack them. You don't rut up old Bessies dinner she gets mad. God forbid something gets around a deer feeder when they come in. I had some good picks of them running off a bunch of does.

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
Yeah, I've got two cams up that are getting bucks coming in. They are still coming in three or 4 in a group. Well until this week. Hogs came in for a bit and screwed everything up for a few days. Looks like they are gone now, thank goodness.

My cows do a pretty good job of keeping the hogs run off. Rare, I have hogs on the place for more than a few days. The cows will flat out attack them. You don't rut up old Bessies dinner she gets mad. God forbid something gets around a deer feeder when they come in. I had some good picks of them running off a bunch of does.

Nice. Normally rancher have a donkey to run the non cattle off. Nice to know the cows dont take any crap from the pigs. Ha!

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Nice. Normally rancher have a donkey to run the non cattle off. Nice to know the cows dont take any crap from the pigs. Ha!
I have strange cows. They take turns baby sitting when the calves are young and sleep in a circle around the calves to protect them until they get big enough to fend for themselves.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater