Hog bait.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
I have been effective just sneaking into their bedding area and popping them. It would be much more effective if I had taken a semi-auto since being surrounded by hogs at a distance of 3 to 5 yards gives plenty of opportunities. I took out several with a bolt action .270 this past weekend.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-feral-pigs-time-hog-153314975.html

Texas to feral pigs: It's time for the 'hog apocalypse' to begin

Maria Gallucci
February 22, 2017

"The 'hog apocalypse' may finally be on the horizon," Miller said in a statement on Tuesday.

"This solution is long overdue," he added. "Wild hogs have caused extensive damage to Texas lands and loss of income for many, many years."

Texas's agriculture commission estimates that feral hogs cause $52 million in damage each year to agricultural businesses by tearing up crops and pastures, knocking down fences and ruining equipment.

Warfarin, a blood-thinning agent that's also used to kill rats and mice in homes and buildings. Animals don't die immediately from eating the odorless, tasteless chemical. That would be too kind. Instead, they keep eating it until the anti-clotting properties cause them to bleed to death internally.

This week, Miller approved a rule change in the Texas Administrative Code that allows landowners and agricultural producers to use Kaput — essentially warfarin-laced pellets — to keep feral hogs off their property.

Proponents of the hog toxicant, including the Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Service, say it's an effective tool because it's only strong enough to kill the swine, and not other wildlife populations or livestock.

In January, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency registered Kaput's hog bait under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act, a move that made the product available for general use.

Still, environmentalists and hog hunters alike staunchly oppose using warfarin to stamp out Texas's feral pig problem.

Pigs poop, after all, and other animals could ingest the warfarin along the way. Some Texans hunt the pigs for sport and food, and they're worried about eating poisoned swine.

"For Texas to introduce a poison into the equation is a bad decision in our opinion and could likely contaminate humans who unknowingly process and eat feral hogs," the Texas Hog Hunters Association said in a Change.org petition to block the rule change.

Louisiana might become the next state to use Kaput to quell its feral hog population, which worries state wildlife veterinarian Jim LaCour. He said local black bears and raccoons could easily lift the lid to the cages containing the warfarin-laced pellets.

Times-Picayune[/a] in New Orleans. '>"We do have very serious concerns about non-target species," LaCour told the Times-Picayune in New Orleans.

"When the hogs eat, they're going to drop crumbs on the outside, where small rodents can get them and not only intoxicate themselves but also birds of prey that eat them. Since the poison will be on the landscape for weeks on end, the chances of these birds eating multiple affected animals is pretty good," he told the newspaper.

The pesticide's manufacturer, Scimetrics Ltd. Corp., assures the pesticide is safe for humans and wildlife — just not for feral pigs.

Thoughts?

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I'm "slightly" concerned. BUT haven't had the time to truly research the potential implications.

Additionally, I'd happily go down there and hunt hogs... for free! I've never been hog hunting and I've always wanted to. Filling a freezer for free sounds like a win-win.

Sooooo why doesn't the state do that? Why not wholesale (massive trap operations) "harvest" the hogs and slaughter for consumption at state run prisons or facilities. There's not a damn thing wrong with that meat.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I have long wondered if unstated politics were the real driver of the "concern for non-target carrion eaters". ODWC has, for years, readily permitted persons to poison problem bird populations around cattle feeding grounds as a means to prevent the spread of coccidiosis. I have personally made it RAIN grackles by the thousands, and they never worried about the skunks, opossums, bob cats, foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks, vultures, and other carcass feeders. What about the carrion eaters that feed on coyote carcass after being poisoned by the cyanide bombs? Likewise, you can purchase commercial, over-the-counter, mouse/rat poison, also containing warfarin, in unlimited amounts to bait rodents, without concern for the carrion eaters.
That begin said, I do not know the LD50 of warfarin for the various carrion eaters, nor do I know how readily warfarin is assimilated in the tissue of target species or how long it persists. The only other extenuating circumstance, that I can imagine, that might give pause for the commercial release of said hog bait in Oklahoma, is the thought that thousands of feral hogs, of considerable tonnage of poison-laced carcasses, might become available during a very tight window, across a wide geographical area; thus posing wide-spread threat to large populations of carrion eaters.
My guess is that, until feral hogs either begin to damage the property of enough legislators or they transmit a catastrophic disease into our commercial hog industry........ODWC may retain proprietary priviliges to dispense the new bait and the requisite feeders, much like they do now with cyanide bombs for coyote control and helicopter hunting of feral hogs: 1) you call and document/protest a significant monetary loss or risk; then 2) ODWC sends their field agents to apply aforementioned controls. Just my wild guess.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
They could put a $20 a pig bounty on them and it would go away. I'm not for broad poisoning.

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
They don't have that kind of money, and you cannot hunt them out. Literature says 2 litters/year at 8.6 bacon seeds/litter, and I swear they raise all 12 of them in both litters!
They have been hunted out of the whole world. Anywhere there were Brits there are feral hogs..... They were not a significant problem until the rise of hog hunting for fun, with dogs and for profit it what caused the boom in hogs. There is a huge faction that don't want them hunted out. I've hunted land for 20 years that never had a hog, not one now with good dogs you could kill a dozen a day. I also know the people who drove to Texas and bought hogs and released them about 15 miles away to ad value to their hunting lease land. The hog problem is a people made recent problem not and insurmountable task.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
They have been hunted out of the whole world. Anywhere there were Brits there are feral hogs..... They were not a significant problem until the rise of hog hunting for fun, with dogs and for profit it what caused the boom in hogs. There is a huge faction that don't want them hunted out. I've hunted land for 20 years that never had a hog, not one now with good dogs you could kill a dozen a day. I also know the people who drove to Texas and bought hogs and released them about 15 miles away to ad value to their hunting lease land. The hog problem is a people made recent problem not and insurmountable task.
The feral hog problem has a huge human culpability aspect, just like most environmental disasters, and like most of those disasters, there are not simple solutions. Hogs are intelligent (just behind the apes and dolphins), adaptable, prolific, and resilient. There have been wide-scale attempts to eradicate hog populations, but in a geographical area the size of what they now inhabit in the continental U.S., and given the landscape (dense brush and closed canopy forests, large tracts of limited or totally inaccessible land, etc.) they cannot be hunted out. Even helicopter hunting, by private and state interests, cannot totally eliminate them. Fireants in the U.S. are a man-made problem as well, and we will never completely eradicate them.
Left-wing liberalism is a man-made problem, and we haven't eradicated it either. ;)

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
The feral hog problem has a huge human culpability aspect, just like most environmental disasters, and like most of those disasters, there are not simple solutions. Hogs are intelligent (just behind the apes and dolphins), adaptable, prolific, and resilient. There have been wide-scale attempts to eradicate hog populations, but in a geographical area the size of what they now inhabit in the continental U.S., and given the landscape (dense brush and closed canopy forests, large tracts of limited or totally inaccessible land, etc.) they cannot be hunted out. Even helicopter hunting, by private and state interests, cannot totally eliminate them. Fireants in the U.S. are a man-made problem as well, and we will never completely eradicate them.
Left-wing liberalism is a man-made problem, and we haven't eradicated it either. ;)
Would they go extinct...... Probably not. But they could easily be hunted to non problematic numbers but a huge part of the population doesn't want that.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Would they go extinct...... Probably not. But they could easily be hunted to non problematic numbers but a huge part of the population doesn't want that.
Because of the disease transmission factor, for domestic swine, cattle, and even humans, not to mention the damage to crops and other resources, one feral hog is too many because in a single year one because one sow becomes 16, and in the second year those 16 become 128 (assuming 50:50 male/female)!

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
As a landowner, I would not allow poisoning due to unintended consequences. Feral hogs cause lots of damage, that's true but I'd prefer to deal with them on my own grounds and by my own methods than be stuck with results from decisions made in OKC.

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
So I set up my hog coral this past weekend.

I got a bunch of really good Priefert Dog kennel panels that have 2" x 4" paneling on them. They are 6 feet tall x 10 feet long each. I got 12 panels at the auction so my trap is 42 ft across.

Took me all day Saturday to get it all set up. I used gate hinges with 5/8 x 4 bolts as the hinge pin. This way I can take it apart if needed. But good grief its was hotter than hell Saturday. In SE Oklahoma it was 95 with 90% humidity all day.

Put my feeder in the middle to start conditioning the sounder to come in and feed. I will put the gate up next month when I go back down. I will also check my camera I have set up to see the activity. I dont have the wireless camera yet. I will have that purchased by next month too.

Time to capture all that free range bacon running around and ruining my property.

Panels are up.jpg

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
So I set up my hog coral this past weekend.

I got a bunch of really good Priefert Dog kennel panels that have 2" x 4" paneling on them. They are 6 feet tall x 10 feet long each. I got 12 panels at the auction so my trap is 42 ft across.

Took me all day Saturday to get it all set up. I used gate hinges with 5/8 x 4 bolts as the hinge pin. This way I can take it apart if needed. But good grief its was hotter than hell Saturday. In SE Oklahoma it was 95 with 90% humidity all day.

Put my feeder in the middle to start conditioning the sounder to come in and feed. I will put the gate up next month when I go back down. I will also check my camera I have set up to see the activity. I dont have the wireless camera yet. I will have that purchased by next month too.

Time to capture all that free range bacon running around and ruining my property.

View attachment 54938
Build one of these in North Georgia and you'll catch my ex...

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
As a landowner, I would not allow poisoning due to unintended consequences. Feral hogs cause lots of damage, that's true but I'd prefer to deal with them on my own grounds and by my own methods than be stuck with results from decisions made in OKC.
I may stand to be corrected, but I do not believe warfarin (FDA approved toxicant for the newly released bait) assimilates in the tissue of the target species, thus it poses no threat to carrion eaters. My understanding is that it is a delivery issue ( non-target species consumption). They have developed and proven the delivery systems, hence the FDA approval. The reluctance for State agencies to release the bait and baiting system is purely political, I am convinced.
If warfarin were a threat to carrion-eaters, D-Con and other similar rat/mouse baits would not be commercially available. No one is making money off the hunting of rats and mice.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I saw the thread title and thought this was a thread about one of my pledge brothers.

Never mind. But if you're out there Hogbait, Bigchunks says "hi".

Last edited: