Hog bait.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
The guy on the left looks like he got "scoped" right between the eyes.:eek:
LOL, he did that night! He shot the guy on the right hand side 300 Win Mag, prone, at night and without ever shooting it before. Busted the F out of him.............his head was leaking all night long and he finally got it stitched 3 day later. Still has a nasty scar

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
Also folks, if you know a baker in town or a donut shop owner, ask them to put all their leftover donuts, bearclaws and breads in a big 55 gallon bag for a few days. Awesome bait, especially if you pour cheap strawberry soda pop on it!

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Also folks, if you know a baker in town or a donut shop owner, ask them to put all their leftover donuts, bearclaws and breads in a big 55 gallon bag for a few days. Awesome bait, especially if you pour cheap strawberry soda pop on it!
What is your recommendation for catfish bait? Same stuff?
I dump a cheap box of strawberry jello into a container of chicken liver and use it for catfish. Works surprisingly well.

Hint: Cut the liver into hook size chunks before you add the jello or your fingers will be stained red forever trying to cut it up later.

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
Got this big boy on the first Sunday of deer gun season.

Took two shots to the head with a 308 to take him.
It took three of us to load him in the back or our truck. Friend of mine wanted to processes him so we took him in. Field dressed out and with the head removed it came in at 475lbs.

I wear a size 15 shoe. His ear was longer than my foot.
Very heavy/brute up front on his body. Built like a linebacker.

Big Boar 2.jpg

Good size chompers.

Big Boar Tusk.jpg

I'm 6'-8" so that will tell you how big this guy was

Big Boar.jpg

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK

It took three of us to load him in the back or our truck. Friend of mine wanted to processes him so we took him in. Field dressed out and with the head removed it came in at 475lbs.

View attachment 51542

Good size chompers.

View attachment 51543

I'm 6'-8" so that will tell you how big this guy was

View attachment 51544
Glad you got that beast out of the woods. Nothing but a menace.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.

You will not like the smell or taste of your pork! Mature boars are not exactly table fare. 60 pound shoats, and smaller, can be fine, but ...........................umh! A mature boar will stink up the house when you cook him!

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
You will not like the smell or taste of your pork! Mature boars are not exactly table fare. 60 pound shoats, and smaller, can be fine, but ...........................umh! A mature boar will stink up the house when you cook him!
Yeah thats what I told him. I cut up a few of the piglets in the first pics. Might be 15-20 pounds each before field dressing. I'll let you know his reactions to the big one. Should be funny.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Ive got about a hundred more just like him. Need an inexpensive (yeah right) thermal or night vision scope so I can pick them off at night. If I had a way to see them at night I could fill a horse trailer with these things.
A place in Tulsa has some digital night vision scopes for about 600 dollars. Should be able to get shots at around 100 yards with one pretty easy. Digital NV gives a great picture but requires an infra red to use, it's built on the scope but limits range to around 100 yards in total darkness. tulsaguns.com is their website.

Forgot to mention a cool thing about digital you can use it in daylight or dark.

Here is an ebay link with a bunch of them stating at 500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231626296348?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=231626296348&rmvSB=true

Last edited:

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Ive got about a hundred more just like him. Need an inexpensive (yeah right) thermal or night vision scope so I can pick them off at night. If I had a way to see them at night I could fill a horse trailer with these things.
On ebay I actually saw some gen 1 night vision scopes for under 300. You can only use the gun after dark if you put one of those on it though.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Sounds like you'll just have to buy another gun. One for day hunting and one for night hunting. I never thought of that one before. I may have to try it out at home and see if it flies. lol
Yeah that's where the digital night vision scopes pay dividends. They can be used day or night. If your deer hunting, it's like daylight looking through them in low light conditions. I've had to let a few nice bucks walk at dusk because I couldn't find them in my scope.

The other option is a twilight scope but they aren't cheep and you have to have a half moon or better to shoot them at night. That's what I have on my gun now after watching a 12 point walk by at 50 yards and couldn't find him in my scope. It's pretty awesome at dusk when deer hunting or shooting coyotes in moonlight. Digital night vision wasn't available when I purchased it or I would have gone that route.

Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 50 with a 30mm tube and a red dot. Have to leave it at 2.5 when shooting under moonlight. You may be able to find one used for around 300. Saturday my friends accused me of shooting a doe in the dark, I could see her just fine.

Last option is attach an ND3 to your existing scope. It's a green laser flashlight that is designed to be mounted on scopes. They are pretty cool have one on my 243. Only problem is like with any light they can scare off what you are shooting at if you shine them in the eyes. Being a laser they don't notice it when you shine it on their bodies. They are the cheapest option to shoot at night. Around 150 bucks.

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
A place in Tulsa has some digital night vision scopes for about 600 dollars. Should be able to get shots at around 100 yards with one pretty easy. Digital NV gives a great picture but requires an infra red to use, it's built on the scope but limits range to around 100 yards in total darkness. tulsaguns.com is their website.

Forgot to mention a cool thing about digital you can use it in daylight or dark.

Here is an ebay link with a bunch of them stating at 500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231626296348?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=231626296348&rmvSB=true

Thanks I'll have to look into all these.