Hog bait.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
The land my family owns in SE Oklahoma is being over run with feral hogs. I plan on trying to reduce the population this year either by a flurry of bullets or tannerite!!.

Ive been googling hog bait on the internet and it seems as if a mixture of Corn, water, Cherry Koolaid / jello and WD40 mixture is the concoction to make. Anyone ever tried this?

They seem to like to hit my deer feeder at night the majority of the time.

Big Black (1).JPG
. I'd like to set up a hog only bait station and see if they will hit it during the day time.

Thanks,

WGI_0304.JPG

North 10 (2).JPG

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I've heard to soak corn in diesel fuel. Sounds odd but they said it worked.
Don't get caught. There are all kinds of laws against poisoning anything bigger than a mouse. For good reasons. On to other things, I've heard they love anti freeze. But so do all kinds of other animals which kind of turns a place into an animal free zone.

Your deer and everything else will eat it to. Then the predators and scavengers will eat them. Well you get the picture. It will eliminate the pigs though. Along with everything else. See the problem with baiting with poison yet.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
The only way they are going to get the feral hog problem under control is poison. They are actually working on methods of poisoning them without destroying the rest of the ecosystem right now. It will be the first time in around 100 years it's been legal to poison a problem animal.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2011/02/poisoning-pigs-the-final-solution/
Actually, you can get permits to poison nuisance birds. I have done it. Funny thing; they do not worry about the carrion-eaters (skunks, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, etc.) when you make it "rain" dead birds by the THOUSANDS. So, I do not buy their standard answer about "protecting the carrion-eaters" when they say that is why we cannot poison feral hogs. But you are right, this is the ONLY way that we will ever get the population under control.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Actually, you can get permits to poison nuisance birds. I have done it. Funny thing; they do not worry about the carrion-eaters (skunks, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, etc.) when you make it "rain" dead birds by the THOUSANDS. So, I do not buy their standard answer about "protecting the carrion-eaters" when they say that is why we cannot poison feral hogs. But you are right, this is the ONLY way that we will ever get the population under control.
Depends on the poison. The poison they are discussing in the article has no effect on the carrion eaters, doesn't cause secondary death. The poison you were permitted to use may have been the same stuff.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Depends on the poison. The poison they are discussing in the article has no effect on the carrion eaters, doesn't cause secondary death. The poison you were permitted to use may have been the same stuff.
What about the cyanide bombs that State wildlife trappers use to control coyotes? I promise you that cyanide affects carrion eaters.
Again, there are politics at work here. Too much discrepancy and conflict in their policies.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
What about the cyanide bombs that State wildlife trappers use to control coyotes? I promise you that cyanide affects carrion eaters.
Again, there are politics at work here. Too much discrepancy and conflict in their policies.
Don't disagree.

If everyone and their dog started going out and baiting with arsenic and cyanide to get rid of pigs, it would cause a real lack of local wildlife in short order though.

I agree poison is the most effective method to get rid of any problem animal. The problem with large scale usage is it's tendency to be indiscriminate.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Don't disagree.

If everyone and their dog started going out and baiting with arsenic and cyanide to get rid of pigs, it would cause a real lack of local wildlife in short order though.

I agree poison is the most effective method to get rid of any problem animal. The problem with large scale usage is it's tendency to be indiscriminate.
If we can put man on the moon 50 years ago, I think we can figure out how to poison feral hogs without endangering peripheral wildlife, either through chemistry or delivery method.

Sep 29, 2008
I've heard to soak corn in diesel fuel. Sounds odd but they said it worked.

Don't get caught. There are all kinds of laws against poisoning anything bigger than a mouse. For good reasons. On to other things, I've heard they love anti freeze. But so do all kinds of other animals which kind of turns a place into an animal free zone.

Your deer and everything else will eat it to. Then the predators and scavengers will eat them. Well you get the picture. It will eliminate the pigs though. Along with everything else. See the problem with baiting with poison yet.

Actually we have tried this and yes it works. The Diesel Fuel is not used as a poison. The Diesel Fuel keeps other animals from eating the bait. For some reason the only ones that are attracked to it are the Hogs. Place this mix in a pin/trap and then come back and blast away!

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Actually we have tried this and yes it works. The Diesel Fuel is not used as a poison. The Diesel Fuel keeps other animals from eating the bait. For some reason the only ones that are attracked to it are the Hogs. Place this mix in a pin/trap and then come back and blast away!
I'm thinking at a minimum the ones you don't shoot are going to have a major belly ache in the morning. Possibly a missing esophagus.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
These were shot over diesel corn. Other animals don't touch it, so if you go back to check your bait and it's been hit, you know it was hogs. They love the smell and will wallow in it, nasty bastards.
IMG_2140.JPG

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Cottonseed mill and canned dog food. It's not as good as diesel but it's legal