Hilton v GIA

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 2, 2011
You know Hilton is a cool venue and they have good fans but it cannot rival the noise of a full GIA.......not even close

Feb 18, 2009
Only one in the conference that gets as loud is the Phog. I've been to all but two of the venues in the conference, I am sure you can guess which two, and nothing gets close to GIA and Phog. Not even close.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I went to the game in the Phog this year and it was loud, but it wasn't any better than GIA in full force.

I'd definitely say the KU game in Stillwater was much louder than the Phog was in our game up there. My ears were ringing in GIA and the noise never got to that level in the Phog, even though I sat in the student section. I was way up at the top of GIA too.

Now, that said, the Phog has a MUCH more consistent atmosphere. GIA's peaks are better, but it has a lot more low points than the Phog. KU fans bring it every game, when OSU fans just seem to show up for big games. Granted every game for KU is usually big because they are always good.

Also, both games the home team lost and trailed for the majority of the game, so I'd say it is a very good comparison on equal footing.

I don't think Hilton is on the same level from what I heard tonight, but it is VERY difficult to judge things like this on TV. I think you could currently rank the Big XII arenas like this...

1st Tier
1. OSU / KU
2nd Tier
3. ISU
4. KSU
5. Baylor
6. UT
3rd Tier
7. OU / WVU
4th Tier
9. TT / TCU

OU seems to be a tough place to play for the Cowboys for some reason, but the atmosphere just isn't that intimidating. Kind of like UT in football. Tons of fans, but not that loud, and not very close to the field / court.

kulanapan

Territorial Marshal
Nov 27, 2012
Dallas
cafehayek.com
I went to the game in the Phog this year and it was loud, but it wasn't any better than GIA in full force.

I'd definitely say the KU game in Stillwater was much louder than the Phog was in our game up there. My ears were ringing in GIA and the noise never got to that level in the Phog, even though I sat in the student section. I was way up at the top of GIA too.

Now, that said, the Phog has a MUCH more consistent atmosphere. GIA's peaks are better, but it has a lot more low points than the Phog. KU fans bring it every game, when OSU fans just seem to show up for big games. Granted every game for KU is usually big because they are always good.

Also, both games the home team lost and trailed for the majority of the game, so I'd say it is a very good comparison on equal footing.

I don't think Hilton is on the same level from what I heard tonight, but it is VERY difficult to judge things like this on TV. I think you could currently rank the Big XII arenas like this...

1st Tier
1. OSU / KU
2nd Tier
3. ISU
4. KSU
5. Baylor
6. UT
3rd Tier
7. OU / WVU
4th Tier
9. TT / TCU

OU seems to be a tough place to play for the Cowboys for some reason, but the atmosphere just isn't that intimidating. Kind of like UT in football. Tons of fans, but not that loud, and not very close to the field / court.
I'd put UT down at the bottom. That place is even more dead than Lloyd Noble Mausoleum. There were 14k people at our game there, but with noise level, you'd think there was a funeral going on.

Jan 20, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Other similarities that just came back to me after watching tonights game. (Gonna have to get used to playing there every year like the good ol' days)

Cyclone.......Power
And the liberal use of Gary Glitter at any and all intermissions.

CowboyVenus

An orange light stuck in the crimson darkness
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2010
Norman, OK
It's going to have more volume because the stands aren't as steep. However, they do have a flat ceiling which would deflect more sound.
It seems like there is less volume (talking about space) inside GIA then Hilton so wouldn't that create a higher decibel level, if we agree on attendance equivalency? I could be completely wrong, I'm just making an assumption with basic knowledge of pressure, I don't have any in-depth knowledge when it comes to noise measurement calculations.

kulanapan

Territorial Marshal
Nov 27, 2012
Dallas
cafehayek.com
It seems like there is less volume (talking about space) inside GIA then Hilton so wouldn't that create a higher decibel level, if we agree on attendance equivalency? I could be completely wrong, I'm just making an assumption with basic knowledge of pressure, I don't have any in-depth knowledge when it comes to noise measurement calculations.
I honestly can't give an accurate account of volume, since I've never been to Hilton, but less volume should result in higher decibel levels. That's probably why the old GIA seemed louder (just going off other's accounts, I wasn't there to witness).

Sep 23, 2010
I've been to all of them with the exception of TCU and West Virginia. I've also been to all of them when the game meant something to the home crowd. Here's how I rank them.

1. Allen Fieldhouse--they get the nod because they'll pack the place for Fort Hays State and it is very loud in there
2. GIA--For a huge game, there's no better place. However, we can match AFH because we just don't bring it every game anymore
3. Hilton--Rabid fans, knowledgalbe and know when their teams need them
4. Kansas State--Not a big fan of the arena in general, but their students get the job done, even when they weren't that good
5.Texas Tech--Beautiful arena, and when Bob Knight had the place packed...really tough to play there...probably should be further down at this point, but the combination of niceness and when they had it rocking got it here
6. Texas--They've had good teams at the drum, but it's never been too hostile of an environment
7. Baylor--Bad arena, aged and old.
8. Lloyd Noble--Dark, aged and poor showings. Any time you tie in your basketball tickets with your football tickets you have a problem.

Aug 8, 2012
Wichita, KS
I'm not sure how GIA can rank above Hilton currently. Perhaps GIA is better for one or two games a year, but Hilton is much more consistent atmosphere at this point.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
It seems like there is less volume (talking about space) inside GIA then Hilton so wouldn't that create a higher decibel level, if we agree on attendance equivalency?
Yes, although technically it is the surface area that matters, not the volume. But for similarly shaped buildings (like two basketball arenas) the one with the larger volume will also have more surface area.

Oct 10, 2011
Wyoming
Always loyal to GIA and my best memories are of it before expansion, but you have to admit they have great fans and they pack the house at most every game! Perhaps GIA will start have the consistancy it deserves!

Dec 9, 2012
Always loyal to GIA and my best memories are of it before expansion, but you have to admit they have great fans and they pack the house at most every game! Perhaps GIA will start have the consistancy it deserves!
This, you guys will tie us when you pack the place every game, but until then Hilton>Iba though I do admit the atmosphere during your game with ku was just as good as ours.

kulanapan

Territorial Marshal
Nov 27, 2012
Dallas
cafehayek.com
I'm not sure how GIA can rank above Hilton currently. Perhaps GIA is better for one or two games a year, but Hilton is much more consistent atmosphere at this point.
This season? Probably not. Although our fans have been showing up better lately. But if we start going on a roll the next few seasons, everyone better watch out...