Hill to the Ravens

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Heck, everyone has the option to act in their own interest. But sometimes acting in one’s own interest is counter to the interests of others, including commitments made to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you've never left a job at one company to go to another?
Sure I’ve left one job for another. But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sure I’ve left one job for another. But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Well when you quit your job, you're a quitter. And you left your team at the previous company on the hook for all of your work. Because you're selfish and you're a quitter. You've disappointed all of us. All so you could go get another job. You selfish prick.

Last edited:

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Well when you quit your job, you're a quitter. And you left your team at the previous company on the hook for all of your work. Because you're selfish and you're a quitter. You're disappointed all of us. All so you could go get another job. You selfish prick.
Imagine if on top of that he didn't even give 2 weeks notice!! What a degenerate.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Well when you quit your job, you're a quitter. And you left your team at the previous company on the hook for all of your work. Because you're selfish and you're a quitter. You're disappointed all of us. All so you could go get another job. You selfish prick.
So what you’re saying is it’s okay for any player to pick and choose when to play and when not to play based solely on their own personal reasons without regard to commitment to the team or organization they represent, I guess. That’s kinda goofy.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
So what you’re saying is it’s okay for any player to pick and choose when to play and when not to play based solely on their own personal reasons without regard to commitment to the team or organization they represent, I guess. That’s kinda goofy.

That's not quite it. You know that, but sure we can play this way.

Yes. An individual should always do what they view as in their best interest. That doesn't mean that there won't be consequences though.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

That's not quite it. You know that, but sure we can play this way.

Yes. An individual should always do what they view as in their best interest. That doesn't mean that there won't be consequences though.
Like I’ve already stated - everyone has the option to act in their own best interest. Sometimes acting in your own best interest is counter to the best interest of others which, as you say, may have consequences.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Heck, everyone has the option to act in their own interest. But sometimes acting in one’s own interest is counter to the interests of others, including commitments made to others.

So you've never left a job at one company to go to another?

Are you asking if I ever refused to work for several weeks while employed yet still expected to be compensated? If that’s what you’re asking the answer is no.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
And the point to your story is......

My point?

Since you didn't get it the first time: times change. Fairly simple, unless you're so busy tilting at windmills that you refuse to face facts.

Keep fighting the good fight, though, & telling us all how kids are wrong for looking out for their own interests in a world where adults have done the same for years & had all the power. It's an extremely interesting point of view.

Through pages of this thread, & others, it's abundantly clear: some people support a kid's right to choose their path, others don't like it & wish it were the way it's always been.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
And the point to your story is......

My point?

Since you didn't get it the first time: times change. Fairly simple, unless you're so busy tilting at windmills that you refuse to face facts.

Keep fighting the good fight, though, & telling us all how kids are wrong for looking out for their own interests in a world where adults have done the same for years & had all the power. It's an extremely interesting point of view.

Through pages of this thread, & others, it's abundantly clear: some people support a kid's right to choose their path, others don't like it & wish it were the way it's always been.
Every kid has a right to choose his own path. I’m not advocating slavery. But sometimes when choosing your own path you step on the toes of the people who helped you be in a position to choose a different path. Been that way for eons - even in 1980.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Every kid has a right to choose his own path. I’m not advocating slavery. But sometimes when choosing your own path you step on the toes of the people who helped you be in a position to choose a different path. Been that way for eons - even in 1980.

Can't disagree with that at all.

And, once again, the schools & coaches have been able to "step on the toes" of the kids for decades when they wanted, so it's time there's a little equity in the landscape.

Now, do I selfishly like what it's done specifically to college basketball (since it's been the most affected by transfers/early departures so far)? No. I loved it back in the day when we saw the same guys for 3 & 4 years in college & saw what became of their experience, cohesion & teamwork. It sucks to me that the regular season match ups just really don't carry the same weight anymore & that it's basically a season beginning in February & culmination in March Madness, but that's what it is anymore because tournament success is the ultimate judge. Wish it weren't that way, but it is. Btw, I think the NBA getting rid of the one & done in a couple of years is going to help college basketball.

As far as football, it's going to be interesting, to me, to see how/if the XFL affects college football. The fact that they can take a Joe MIxon, or Trevor Lawrence, for instance, & give them a lucrative contract to skip college altogether may or may not have an impact, I don't know, but the potential's there.

Mfa6677

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jan 15, 2016
Kansas
https://twitter.com/heady_chris/status/1124118301087551488?s=21
Gumby will still try to spin this where coaches don’t send kids away for lack of performance etc. as if the kid really has the choice to stay and just languish away

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/heady_chris/status/1124118301087551488?s=21

Gumby will still try to spin this where coaches don’t send kids away for lack of performance etc. as if the kid really has the choice to stay and just languish away
Well, if the kid would have been in the gym practicing and not selfishly working on his academics......

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Like I’ve already stated - everyone has the option to act in their own best interest. Sometimes acting in your own best interest is counter to the best interest of others which, as you say, may have consequences.

I just wonder what your stance would be on a stud college pitcher refusing to pitch on short rest or refusing to continue pitching in a game if his pitch count gets too high. Baseball players are competitors and want to win, but there has to be a point when a pitcher has thrown a ton of pitches, but the coach wants him to go out and get 3 more outs, but the kid wants to look out for his future. Is it worth throwing out your elbow to get just one more out?

I'm not saying this would happen anytime soon, but the landscape is changing with Tommy John being so prevalent among pitchers. Overuse and pitching while tired are 2 common theories that are believed to lead to elbow injuries. Also, MLB teams have not been shy about drafting guys who were/are supposed to have TJ because of the advances in the procedure and recovery regimen in place.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I just wonder what your stance would be on a stud college pitcher refusing to pitch on short rest or refusing to continue pitching in a game if his pitch count gets too high. Baseball players are competitors and want to win, but there has to be a point when a pitcher has thrown a ton of pitches, but the coach wants him to go out and get 3 more outs, but the kid wants to look out for his future. Is it worth throwing out your elbow to get just one more out?

I'm not saying this would happen anytime soon, but the landscape is changing with Tommy John being so prevalent among pitchers. Overuse and pitching while tired are 2 common theories that are believed to lead to elbow injuries. Also, MLB teams have not been shy about drafting guys who were/are supposed to have TJ because of the advances in the procedure and recovery regimen in place.

Apples and oranges

DemBoys

Wrangler
Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
Larry Williams signed with Green Bay late last week as an UDFA. I would have to think that he got invited to a rookie camp and impressed them enough to get signed.