Hill to the Ravens

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Always funny to see gumby speaking about loyalty when he put his own sons job security up in the air because he would rather win an argument on the interwebz than to not admit his son works in the athletic department and Feeds him the info he uses on here. Which by the way gumby I have had discussions with two pro scouts and according to them sitting out had nothing to do with where hill was drafted. They had him always lower third at best and likely fourth round. With running backs nfl teams would rather they sit out and not use their bodies any more than needed. One scout I talked to at my my buddies funeral in February. I’ve known him my entire life as it’s his cousin. The other, is my college roommates brother. Hills issues are size and top end speed as well as pass blocking issues and juking too much around the line this season according to those two. By all means with your connections this season when you see Justice hill call him a quitter to his face and see if you are this smug.
Top end speed? Wasn't he the fastest RB in the 40? Not questioning anything else you wrote.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
At that level, I believe from the coaches to the players, that anyone in the locker room who has ambitions of a career are team first in so far as it aids their ambitions. A 6-4 team & bruised rib no longer aided the ambitions of Justice Hill. $400,000 & his love of OSU no longer aided the ambitions of Josh Henson when $600,000 became an option.
So you wouldn't have had an issue with Henson leaving after Bedlam? When the team wasn't bowl eligible and hoping for a victory against TCU to become bowl eligible. Because honestly that's where we were when Hill ended his OSU career. Crappy bowl game I don't care if all Freshmen play and everyone gets "draft ready" but not even traveling with the team to Ft. Worth That's what I have an issue with and only that. He did great things for OSU football and I appreciate all he did and that he was drafted and has an opportunity at the next level but don't get mad when people question character.

Mfa6677

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jan 15, 2016
Kansas
Top end speed? Wasn't he the fastest RB in the 40? Not questioning anything else you wrote.
He gets caught a fair amount from behind and or almost does at the college level. They don’t think that’ll get any better in the nfl. His burst and speed helped him run a great 40 as he accelerates quite well and gets to his top end speed quickly but if you go back and look at many of his long runs he doesn’t run away from the crowd. That’s the speed they were talking about

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Exactly right
fair enough. i come from a background of team 1st.........
& I think most us totally get where you're coming from, & likely grew up with the same thoughts about this.

Times have changed, though, & instead of just the coaches & schools having all the power, kids have options now, too, & I applaud it, it's about time.

My thought process on this changed & my eyes were opened when a friend of mine played for Jimmy Johnson at OSU.

He came in as a fairly lightly recruited guy out of the DFW area & was a walk-on as a freshman. Midway through the year, he was a starter for the rest of the season. So, Sophomore year comes up, & yep, he's still a walk-on, & starts the entire year. Junior year comes up & it's "well, we've got a really good freshman coming in at your position", so still no scholarship. He starts all year, again, & walks away from football, goes on to get a Masters & Doctorate & the rest is history. And of course, the coach left for more money & greener pastures.

So, sorry for those stuck in the past, but times change & you can be the guy romanticizing about how things used to be, or take an honest look at how they used to be & see that that way was incredibly one-sided. Or, you can realize that kids can make their own choices now & actually have options to pursue their dreams. Are they always gonna make the right choice? No, but at least they got to make that choice & not have some coach serve a vendetta against them by blocking their transfer, & that petty crap.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Exactly right
fair enough. i come from a background of team 1st.........
& I think most us totally get where you're coming from, & likely grew up with the same thoughts about this.

Times have changed, though, & instead of just the coaches & schools having all the power, kids have options now, too, & I applaud it, it's about time.

My thought process on this changed & my eyes were opened when a friend of mine played for Jimmy Johnson at OSU.

He came in as a fairly lightly recruited guy out of the DFW area & was a walk-on as a freshman. Midway through the year, he was a starter for the rest of the season. So, Sophomore year comes up, & yep, he's still a walk-on, & starts the entire year. Junior year comes up & it's "well, we've got a really good freshman coming in at your position", so still no scholarship. He starts all year, again, & walks away from football, goes on to get a Masters & Doctorate & the rest is history. And of course, the coach left for more money & greener pastures.

So, sorry for those stuck in the past, but times change & you can be the guy romanticizing about how things used to be, or take an honest look at how they used to be & see that that way was incredibly one-sided. Or, you can realize that kids can make their own choices now & actually have options to pursue their dreams. Are they always gonna make the right choice? No, but at least they got to make that choice & not have some coach serve a vendetta against them by blocking their transfer, & that petty crap.
And the point to your story is......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 31, 2011
Gumby, do you want the good news or the bad news first? Nevermind, here's the bad news; you're making an ass out of yourself. The good news is that you can stop at any time by simply closing this thread and no longer responding.

Stop being mad at a kid because he didn't perform for you and be proud of his accomplishments instead. It's way more fun this way.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Gumby, do you want the good news or the bad news first? Nevermind, here's the bad news; you're making an ass out of yourself. The good news is that you can stop at any time by simply closing this thread and no longer responding.

Stop being mad at a kid because he didn't perform for you and be proud of his accomplishments instead. It's way more fun this way.
Mad? Who’s mad? Not me. I just pointed out the kid did not live up to one of the core principles of Cowboy Football. A principle that is preached by the coaches every week. A principle that we’ve all heard the Head Coach discuss dozens and dozens of times. A principle that has no meaning whatsoever unless players practice it and live it, especially the team leaders. A principle that is key to the team success that all players, coaches and fans crave. “Practice and play for the guy(s) next to you” is not a part-time commitment, it’s what’s expected every week out of every player in the locker room from future NFL stars all the way down the roster to the walk-on scout team players. Regardless of the reason or circumstance, Justice Hill flat out quit on his team - that is a fact, not opinion.
Everyone, me included, can be grateful for his many contributions on the field and in the locker room, and we can all celebrate his selection in the draft and cheer for a great career in the League. But there is little doubt a part (hopefully just small) of his legacy was to do damage to one of the core principles the coaching staff hopes to instill in every player.
I’m just a little shocked at how dismissive many fans are.

Last edited:

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
So you wouldn't have had an issue with Henson leaving after Bedlam? When the team wasn't bowl eligible and hoping for a victory against TCU to become bowl eligible. Because honestly that's where we were when Hill ended his OSU career. Crappy bowl game I don't care if all Freshmen play and everyone gets "draft ready" but not even traveling with the team to Ft. Worth That's what I have an issue with and only that. He did great things for OSU football and I appreciate all he did and that he was drafted and has an opportunity at the next level but don't get mad when people question character.
Henson can't interview for anyone during that time and isn't joining a staff at that time, so in that case he'd just be quitting his job, being forced out, or has some medical/family issue that needs attending. So, I'd assume it is for the best in that case.

I have no idea what shape Hill's ribs were in going into the WVU game. I can only trust someone with their own body. I'd rather have a guy out there who feels good and wants to be out there, than someone concerned about protecting themselves. So, I'm glad Hill didn't play if his concern was on his ribs and not scoring touchdowns (which it didn't appear anyone on our offense cared about touchdowns for most of the TCU game).

What have I said that suggests anger? I am not mad, but I am weary of grown men being gossips about 20 year olds who carry footballs for their entertainment. I hated the "this generation" stuff middle aged-old men said when I was 15 and I hate it now that I am that age. It is such a cliche. Every generation convinces themselves at some point that this time it is correct, these younger generations are distinctly worse than their own. It is a tired cycle. College sports is the worship of youthfulness. When people complain about players or the young in general like this, I just hear old men who are mad they aren't young anymore.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I have no idea what shape Hill's ribs were in going into the WVU game. I can only trust someone with their own body. I'd rather have a guy out there who feels good and wants to be out there, than someone concerned about protecting themselves. So, I'm glad Hill didn't play if his concern was on his ribs and not scoring touchdowns (which it didn't appear anyone on our offense cared about touchdowns for most of the TCU game).
I also don't know what shape his ribs were in I'm not questioning his injury at all. Perhaps the team would have been more interested in scoring TD's if one of the leaders would have traveled with the team to Ft. Worth, instead of moving on which without any first hand knowledge seems to be what he did. I'm all for the players deciding what is best for them and that's there decision, I'm not here saying they have no respect or griping about this generation..... the 2018 OSU Cowboys suffered woefully with little to no leadership and it showed from the 4th game when McClesky decide he would transfer all 3 guys that went to Dallas to represent OSU over the summer are gone. I blame the coaching staff mostly but I am not going to give Hill a pass, he should have traveled with the team injured or not.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I also don't know what shape his ribs were in I'm not questioning his injury at all. Perhaps the team would have been more interested in scoring TD's if one of the leaders would have traveled with the team to Ft. Worth, instead of moving on which without any first hand knowledge seems to be what he did. I'm all for the players deciding what is best for them and that's there decision, I'm not here saying they have no respect or griping about this generation..... the 2018 OSU Cowboys suffered woefully with little to no leadership and it showed from the 4th game when McClesky decide he would transfer all 3 guys that went to Dallas to represent OSU over the summer are gone. I blame the coaching staff mostly but I am not going to give Hill a pass, he should have traveled with the team injured or not.
Exactly my point. Regardless of the reasons, 3 team leaders quit their team. Applauding their moves is in no way a positive message to send to the TEAM.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
That's fine, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think our team had an on the field leadership problem all season, well before TCU. I think that is seen in how focused, confident, and engaged we were in big games and how lethargic & disengaged were in others. I think we flowed with group emotions/energy. I don't think Hill being a sideline at Ft. Worth wouldn't have mattered, because him playing in other "should win" B12 games didn't get us a victory.

I'm not sure I'd expect a running back to be that guy, but I do suppose it is possible (Emmett Smith I guess had that sense about him, but I do think it is rare from that position).

Gundy has noted that this off season that he let things get too casual and maybe didn't take enough control over those things from Spring Practice onward last season.

Jalen left because he was the #4-5 option and wanted to play with his dad. He just milked the new rule that let him play in 4 games first.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
That's fine, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think our team had an on the field leadership problem all season, well before TCU. I think that is seen in how focused, confident, and engaged we were in big games and how lethargic & disengaged were in others. I think we flowed with group emotions/energy. I don't think Hill being a sideline at Ft. Worth wouldn't have mattered, because him playing in other "should win" B12 games didn't get us a victory.

I'm not sure I'd expect a running back to be that guy, but I do suppose it is possible (Emmett Smith I guess had that sense about him, but I do think it is rare from that position).

Gundy has noted that this off season that he let things get too casual and maybe didn't take enough control over those things from Spring Practice onward last season.

Jalen left because he was the #4-5 option and wanted to play with his dad. He just milked the new rule that let him play in 4 games first.
When Jalen left he was at worst the #2 option, we can disagree that's fine but don't make false statements to support your argument.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
When Jalen left he was at worst the #2 option, we can disagree that's fine but don't make false statements to support your argument.

No way man he was quickly being passed by Stoner, Johnson, and Wolfe.
He was #2 in receptions after 4 games not sure about targets, Wolf had 2 or 3 in the first 4 games total. Texas Tech was his last game

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
He was #2 in receptions after 4 games not sure about targets, Wolf had 2 or 3 in the first 4 games total. Texas Tech was his last game

It was pretty clear that he was in the process of being passed over... it was supposed to be his breakout year, but Wallace was getting all of the attention and the ball was being spread around a lot more.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
So in other words, "I'm gonna take my ball and go home".
You know... I hope that in your personal life there isn't somebody that just repeatedly dogs you for acting in the best interest of your self.
Heck, everyone has the option to act in their own interest. But sometimes acting in one’s own interest is counter to the interests of others, including commitments made to others.