Hill to the Ravens

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Nobody said Justice wasn't loyal. That dude busted his ass every year every play and I am beyond fine with him sitting out. Remember a guy named Ed O'Bannon? Busted his knee up and never was the same. Even if you are 100% healthy, some guys can't get over that mental hump that comes with something like that. You can say "Yeah I would have passed", but I smell BS. 10M is life changing money. Hell 1M is pretty life changing.
i bet his teammates weren't cool w/ it. he quit on his team. showed his true character............

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Given how many of them were congratulating him on twitter when he got drafted I'd say there are no hard feelings there.
maybe not. maybe i'm old school. i thought it was weak. team sports and all................

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
It's a terrible thing if you still have a year of eligibility left. Who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up this upcoming year. He could have worked on his shortcomings, spent time with Coach Dunn and had the added experience of working with a new OC. Now his best case scenario is working on the practice squad. I think he made a mistake by leaving early.
He was the third option at best in our receiving corp and he's 23 years old, about to be 24. One more year at OSU wasn't going to improve his draft stock.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
maybe not. maybe i'm old school. i thought it was weak. team sports and all................
I'd say it is romanticizing major college athletics.
How romantic is it when the University and Alumni invest approx $200k per year per scholarship player? How romantic is it to expect effort to provide a return on an investment? How romantic is it to expect a player to execute on his commitment? How romantic is it to have a team captain quit on his teammates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
It's a terrible thing if you still have a year of eligibility left. Who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up this upcoming year. He could have worked on his shortcomings, spent time with Coach Dunn and had the added experience of working with a new OC. Now his best case scenario is working on the practice squad. I think he made a mistake by leaving early.
He was the third option at best in our receiving corp and he's 23 years old, about to be 24. One more year at OSU wasn't going to improve his draft stock.
Might have improved his resume. Duh

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
How romantic is it when the University and Alumni invest approx $200k per year per scholarship player? How romantic is it to expect effort to provide a return on an investment? How romantic is it to expect a player to execute on his commitment? How romantic is it to have a team captain quit on his teammates?

I really don't understand why so many people have a problem with athletes sitting out. It's a financial decision that fans seem to take personally. Are you also mad at athletes who leave after their Junior year instead of playing all 4 years?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I really don't understand why so many people have a problem with athletes sitting out. It's a financial decision that fans seem to take personally. Are you also mad at athletes who leave after their Junior year instead of playing all 4 years?
Okay, hold the HC responsible for wins and losses but expect no accountability out of the players. That’s an interesting, but effed up world you live in.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

BTW, in Hills case it probably cost him financially.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place

For me posts like this further prove the point that people have a romantic view of major college athletics.

Minor bowl games, like we played, are only useful for the extra practices and the marketing they provide. One could make a pretty compelling argument it is pointless to play anyone who is leaving, whether to the draft or graduation. I have no problem with Hill sitting out. He was going to the draft. It is better for those reps in practice and in the game to go to someone returning.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
An UFA does not have the same chance to make a roster. All ties, or even close to a tie goes to the drafted player. Johnson better learn how to run better routes real fast. No way he sticks, even on a practice squad, if he doesn’t get way better.
Because there are tons of ties.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Okay, hold the HC responsible for wins and losses but expect no accountability out of the players. That’s an interesting, but effed up world you live in.

That is how most businesses work yes, the ultimate success of an organization is the responsibility of the one in charge.

Speculative. But barring an injury he will make more money next year playing in the NFL than he will at OSU. For life changing money, idk that I take the risk that something happens next year. Especially since he has apparently already graduated.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

For me posts like this further prove the point that people have a romantic view of major college athletics.

Minor bowl games, like we played, are only useful for the extra practices and the marketing they provide. One could make a pretty compelling argument it is pointless to play anyone who is leaving, whether to the draft or graduation. I have no problem with Hill sitting out. He was going to the draft. It is better for those reps in practice and in the game to go to someone returning.
Really? Is that what you think? How about the WVU and TCU games he bagged? Good with that?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

That is how most businesses work yes, the ultimate success of an organization is the responsibility of the one in charge.

Speculative. But barring an injury he will make more money next year playing in the NFL than he will at OSU. For life changing money, idk that I take the risk that something happens next year. Especially since he has apparently already graduated.
Really? You get to FO at work without being accountable? Get a clue.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
An UFA does not have the same chance to make a roster. All ties, or even close to a tie goes to the drafted player. Johnson better learn how to run better routes real fast. No way he sticks, even on a practice squad, if he doesn’t get way better.
Because there are tons of ties.
Clearly math is a challenge. Of each team’s 7 draft picks, how many you figure make the team on average every year? 5, 6?
Of each team’s 10 UFAs, how many you figure make the team on average each year? 2,3?

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I don't see how you're supporting your point.

A 7th rounder makes more money per year and gets a signing bonus of around $60,000. The UFA makes less per year and get less, if any, signing bonus. How is it better to be a UFA financially?

The average wide receiver lasts about 2 years in the NFL. If you have 2 seasons to cash in, losing $220,000 matters.
You’re only looking at one side of the argument. The opportunity cost of that extra year in the league. So you have to ask yourself why is the shelf life of an average nfl receiver so low? It’s because guys who are younger, more explosive, faster, and less wear and tear on their bodies are coming in to replace them. Another year in college would put another year of wear and tear in the body. So if average post high school career is 6 years wouldn’t it be financially justifiable to say 3 years on contract is better than 2?

Plus how is he supposed to get better than he already is? He is already 4 years out of high school, number 2 maybe 3 on the team in terms of talent at his position. The probable starter at QB has never taken a snap in game, the OC hasn’t coached a game in a major conference, let alone a D1. Most importantly, he’s 100% healthy at the right time.

That’s a lot to gamble to try to get incrementally better pay and have no say in what situation you’re going to.

Last edited: