Hidden opportunities

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Out of curiosity, I looked at our TE/FB/Cowboy Back usage in the passing game since Yurcich arrived.

2013: 0.92/game (Seaton / Jarwin with 6 receptions each on the entire season)
2014: 1.46/game (Seaton led with 13 receptions, which is only 1 per game)
2015: 2.23/game (Jarwin led with 17 receptions)
2016: 2.31/game (Jarwin led with 19 receptions)
2017: 0.54/game (Keenan Brown had 4, and Finefeuiaki had 3)

I don't have a way to study targets, so that could be a totally different animal. But as far as receptions go, I think those numbers are fairly weak. Looking at the data, the only trend we *might* be able to guess is that Jarwin was way better than others we've had, so his reception totals went up over his career. It doesn't appear to be directly related to Rudolph's progression, either, because production fell off a cliff in 2017 while he was still here. Could be related to game plans, opponents, or even how good we were at WR in 2017. Tough to say. But I stand by my original comment that the position is underutilized in the pass game.

I mean......when I play Madden, my TE is nearly always my leading receiver, so......there's that.
That's not a lot of production especially when you have a dedicated coach for the position. I feel like J. Woods might get more targets since he was in the QB room for a year with the OC. Also with Grayson Boomer coming in we really need to start utilizing the position. Maybe add a couple of plays to our extensive playbook to feature the CW somewhere besides the goal line.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Out of curiosity, I looked at our TE/FB/Cowboy Back usage in the passing game since Yurcich arrived.

2013: 0.92/game (Seaton / Jarwin with 6 receptions each on the entire season)
2014: 1.46/game (Seaton led with 13 receptions, which is only 1 per game)
2015: 2.23/game (Jarwin led with 17 receptions)
2016: 2.31/game (Jarwin led with 19 receptions)
2017: 0.54/game (Keenan Brown had 4, and Finefeuiaki had 3)

I don't have a way to study targets, so that could be a totally different animal. But as far as receptions go, I think those numbers are fairly weak. Looking at the data, the only trend we *might* be able to guess is that Jarwin was way better than others we've had, so his reception totals went up over his career. It doesn't appear to be directly related to Rudolph's progression, either, because production fell off a cliff in 2017 while he was still here. Could be related to game plans, opponents, or even how good we were at WR in 2017. Tough to say. But I stand by my original comment that the position is underutilized in the pass game.

I mean......when I play Madden, my TE is nearly always my leading receiver, so......there's that.
I think part of the problem is that we haven’t had that many good CW backs that could catch the ball. Woods and the injured freshman are better. As has been said, the CW backs have had to help block because of Oline deficiencies. That has limited their receiving opportunities, too.