Hidden opportunities

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Through the first two games, I have not seen any sort of misdirection, or much involvement from the CWBs.

My guess is the offensive game has been fairly basic to date. I see Jelani Woods as being a potentially huge factor this weekend. Who would be able to cover him? I mean, hes 6'7 and like 250 pounds. Ill bet that he goes for 7 or 8 receptions, close to 100 yards and is a big factor in 3rd down conversions.

I also bet we see more runs outside the tackles and some potential 2 RB sets. Why keep all that talent on the sidelines, right?

Defensively, I dont think weve seen the full potential of Knowles schemes yet. But, given the balance of BSUs offense, its going to be a tall task for the defense this weekend. Wouldnt be surprised if we end up in a 50ish to 40ish final score. Pokes winning of course.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Watch Jelani almost catch Tyron on that reception. Big guy has some wheels too.

I think u r right. Corndog has kept the ball only once on the zone read. We have been vanilla in offense and defense. Thinking that comes off this weekend

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I think he'll help some sure but it's his first year to play tight end. When you have fantastic future NFL guys at WR in Johnson and Wallace who can fly and uber athletic you go to them the most. I like his future at tight end though.

Mar 8, 2010
I'm sure we didn't want to show much of our play book to BSU in the two early blow-outs, but the play of our OL against poor competition really worries me. They'd better shore things up this Saturday or it could get ugly on offense!

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Yes because, we want Jarwin catching 10 balls a game, when we have Hill at RB and Washington/Ateman and Lacy, et all as receivers.

My guess is that the TE gets more balls with Corndog as he throws the short and intermediate routes better than Mason did. Drag Woods over the middle, hit him in stride and watch some corner try to stop 6'7" 250. That is a physics lesson waiting to happen.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I’ve now rewatched both games and I feel like the D has missed several interception opportunities. A lot of drops and tipped balls not getting caught the second time.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
I’ve now rewatched both games and I feel like the D has missed several interception opportunities. A lot of drops and tipped balls not getting caught the second time.
Ya they have but overall I think they have played well. It has been bad competition though so I hope that trend continues. We are going to get burned over the top at least twice against Boise. Green gets beat a lot and then resorts to holding or interfering.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Ever since Yurcich arrived, opposing defenses have gameplanned to take away the TE/FB from the passing game. Its crazy how every single one of them has managed to do that!
but reality is more likely that since it is a CW position, and our OLine has be so-so for many years under OCMY, that the CW has been most often a FB to provide more blocking or run options, and when we pass, it's more often we go with more wide-outs instead of a TE.

meaning, their defense's gameplan did not take the TE option from us, but our offenses' game plan didn't need it, or our other options were better than dinking the ball to a TE.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
but reality is more likely that since it is a CW position, and our OLine has be so-so for many years under OCMY, that the CW has been most often a FB to provide more blocking or run options, and when we pass, it's more often we go with more wide-outs instead of a TE.

meaning, their defense's gameplan did not take the TE option from us, but our offenses' game plan didn't need it, or our other options were better than dinking the ball to a TE.
I don't buy it. I think Yurcich just doesn't make an effort to get them involved in the passing game like he should. We also have a coach dedicated to that spot. Truthfully, for as little as we utilize them, we should have a ST coach instead.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I don't buy it. I think Yurcich just doesn't make an effort to get them involved in the passing game like he should. We also have a coach dedicated to that spot. Truthfully, for as little as we utilize them, we should have a ST coach instead.
I agree we should be using them a lot more. I remember when Pettigrew had a monster game and almost beat OU single handily. I would love to see Jelani woods getting the ball in the open field. It would really open up the field for the other receivers and running backs. I think they can still be used for blocking but it would be nice if we could get them more 7 to 8 yard out routes.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Bullcrap. He used Jarwin. I don't always like Yurcich either but cmon
Out of curiosity, I looked at our TE/FB/Cowboy Back usage in the passing game since Yurcich arrived.

2013: 0.92/game (Seaton / Jarwin with 6 receptions each on the entire season)
2014: 1.46/game (Seaton led with 13 receptions, which is only 1 per game)
2015: 2.23/game (Jarwin led with 17 receptions)
2016: 2.31/game (Jarwin led with 19 receptions)
2017: 0.54/game (Keenan Brown had 4, and Finefeuiaki had 3)

I don't have a way to study targets, so that could be a totally different animal. But as far as receptions go, I think those numbers are fairly weak. Looking at the data, the only trend we *might* be able to guess is that Jarwin was way better than others we've had, so his reception totals went up over his career. It doesn't appear to be directly related to Rudolph's progression, either, because production fell off a cliff in 2017 while he was still here. Could be related to game plans, opponents, or even how good we were at WR in 2017. Tough to say. But I stand by my original comment that the position is underutilized in the pass game.

I mean......when I play Madden, my TE is nearly always my leading receiver, so......there's that.