Herbstreit

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
Genuine, or just repping the brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I vote mostly genuine. I am a Herbstreit fan. I say genuine because I have found many people don’t really know the true statistics of police shootings. Some feel that this happens all the time and police are actively hunting for POC.

I will always remember an interview of a 13-year old black young man in Minneapolis shortly after Floyd’s deaths and during the riots. He was being interviewed on MSNBC and he was crying. He was genuinely afraid the police were going to come and shot him. Obviously, they were not, but that was his reality. I felt so sad and bad for him. It was impossible not to have empathy for him. Someone, his friends, maybe parents, or the media has repeated the false narrative of police shooting black Americans so much to him that he believed it. And he was living in fear because of false information.

I am going to assume positive intent and Herbstreit just doesn’t know.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Genuine, or just repping the brand?

I vote mostly genuine. I am a Herbstreit fan. I say genuine because I have found many people don’t really know the true statistics of police shootings. Some feel that this happens all the time and police are actively hunting for POC.

I will always remember an interview of a 13-year old black young man in Minneapolis shortly after Floyd’s deaths and during the riots. He was being interviewed on MSNBC and he was crying. He was genuinely afraid the police were going to come and shot him. Obviously, they were not, but that was his reality. I felt so sad and bad for him. It was impossible not to have empathy for him. Someone, his friends, maybe parents, or the media has repeated the false narrative of police shooting black Americans so much to him that he believed it. And he was living in fear because of false information.

Then I assume he bawls non-stop every weekend after what happens in Chicago weekly.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I have no idea what he said but Herbstreit is as genuine as a Chinese Rolex.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I do think it was a real cry. ALL people should have empathy, especially for those who are scared even if they shouldn't be. The fact we still have morons who hate people just because of the color of their skin makes me cry as well...We need to strive for what MLK said...
"I have a dream that one day my children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character."
We are slowly achieving that, but it's not enough and it needs to be finished. I agree with his reaction and would share it. I like Kirk, always have, he's good at what he does...even when I hate him for some of his takes, this wasn't one of them. Sad we are still having to do this though. This is just one of the many reasons I want the kids to play...they/we/the nation, needs it...it's a common bond that shouldn't be separated by race, politics, or anything else. It's where we celebrate fun and greatness and unity...let us have our college football! No body cares who you vote for, people share a goal...we need this, especially now.

OP150

John 15:13
Aug 30, 2008
D2L
He was genuinely afraid the police were going to come and shot him. Obviously, they were not, but that was his reality. I felt so sad and bad for him. It was impossible not to have empathy for him. Someone, his friends, maybe parents, or the media has repeated the false narrative of police shooting black Americans so much to him that he believed it. And he was living in fear because of false information.
It’s the parents fault and the community for furthering the lies for the sake of avoiding accountability for their actions.

Oh he knows. It’s all about the money and the side they as a corporation have chosen. Don’t play the part, don’t have a job. Compliance at that point is being complicit in the lies.

We need to strive for what MLK said...

"I have a dream that one day my children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character."
I agree but that’s not the goal of the movement.

We are slowly achieving that, but it's not enough and it needs to be finished.
I’d say we were achieving that or had, until BLM came up on the scene.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Unfortunately that is no longer the goal. Now you are required to judge people based on the color of their skin and are not allowed to consider anything else. We are destroying any progress on racism that we did manage to make since MLK, all for politics...that makes me want to cry.

Future generations are going to find they are starting from further back on this issue than their parents did.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Unfortunately that is no longer the goal. Now you are required to judge people based on the color of their skin and are not allowed to consider anything else. We are destroying any progress on racism that we did manage to make since MLK, all for politics...that makes me want to cry.

Future generations are going to find they are starting from further back on this issue than their parents did.
Don't let the message of some taint the success you have seen in your own heart and mind over the years...and pass that progress on to your family. Just because SOME what to blow this up for political reasons, doesn't mean you throw the empathy you have in your heart in the trash can. Judging each person on the content of their character not the color of their skin...we know the content of BLM's leaderships character, so I would think they are fair game.

OP150

Aug 30, 2008
D2L

Correct. To be color blind as Dr. King dreamt of is now of all things... racist.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Don't let the message of some taint the success you have seen in your own heart and mind over the years...and pass that progress on to your family. Just because SOME what to blow this up for political reasons, doesn't mean you throw the empathy you have in your heart in the trash can. Judging each person on the content of their character not the color of their skin...we know the content of BLM's leaderships character, so I would think they are fair game.
Until the call for empathy is redirected, the movement is misdirected and thus the direction we’re moving is backwards.

Mar 11, 2006
Correct. To be color blind as Dr. King dreamt of is now of all things... racist.
That has been a major change and, IMO, that is very unfortunate and going backwards. Identity politics has driven this. Not only MLK, but Oprah famously said, during one of her shows, that goal was to be colorblind.

Honestly, I think a lot of the change in the strategy is the demand for racism far outweighs the supply. Most people are probably fairly colorblind and do judge people by their character. I would hope that would be the goal. But now diversity training has shifted to push for understand the race of the person.

OP150

Aug 30, 2008
D2L
Honestly, I think a lot of the change in the strategy is the demand for racism far outweighs the supply. Most people are probably fairly colorblind and do judge people by their character. I would hope that would be the goal. But now diversity training has shifted to push for understand the race of the person.
It’s all been planned. Division.