Help an Old Guy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
My two favorite players from my OSU years were Walt Garrison and Harry Cheatwood. Harry was a All American and I remember him being undersized. Does anyone know his playing weight and height? Many thanks.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
This is kind of like an old man remembering prices "back in the day", but:

The last year I played football was 1969, my freshman year at Ardmore. We played a pre-season game against a team from Texas (Gainesville or Wichita Falls) and we were shocked to find out that their entire varsity offensive line was well over 200 pounds each !!! We wondered where in the heck they found those freaks!!

Nowdays at some of the larger Houston area schools you can't play varsity football unless you weigh at least 200 or can run a very fast 40. Different time, different sized football players. Back then I think a lot of guys were just athletes that played multiple sports, so did not bulk up just for football. Also, weight training was a very very small weight room with some free weights; we were just told to go lift them with little or no direction.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2007
This is kind of like an old man remembering prices "back in the day", but:

The last year I played football was 1969, my freshman year at Ardmore. We played a pre-season game against a team from Texas (Gainesville or Wichita Falls) and we were shocked to find out that their entire varsity offensive line was over 200 pounds each !!! We wondered where in the heck they found those freaks!!

Nowdays at some of the larger Houston area schools you can't play varsity football unless you weigh at least 200 or can run a very fast 40. Different time, different sized football players. Back then I think a lot of guys were just athletes that played multiple sports, so did not bulk up just for football. Also, weight training was a very very small weight room with some free weights; we were just told to go lift them with little or no direction.
Players are larger now but we weren't that small. My senior year, 1965, our offensive line was 240 center and 2 near 300 with the exception of 2 small guards who were each around 165 and end was maybe 180 but ran the 100 in track. The year before, our fullback was 235 and also ran the 100. Defensive line was a little smaller but still with two over 270.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Players are larger now but we weren't that small. My senior year, 1965, our offensive line was 240 center and 2 near 300 with the exception of 2 small guards who were each around 165 and end was maybe 180 but ran the 100 in track. The year before, our fullback was 235 and also ran the 100. Defensive line was a little smaller but still with two over 270.
What school were you?!? I'm thinking our tackles were approaching 250 (225 or so), our center was maaybe 200, and our guards were under 200 (I was a backup freshman guard at 150). So yeah we were that small on the line and based on your numbers so were your guys. The Texas team had guards/center at 220 or so and tackles over 250. We had one D tackle that was over 200. I am sure we didn't play anybody else with a complete set over 200. Point is, they are pushing 300 now in HS, so about 30-50% bigger.

I couldn't find our high school roster, but to make my point I found this link to the OU 1969 football roster. It lists one player at 235 and everybody else lighter. Their DT's were 210-220. If you guys were that big in 1965 your high school probably had more beef than the OU football team.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=1969

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2007
Walton High School, DeFuniak Springs, FL. We went 9-1 with the only loss to the huge, Robert E. Lee High in Montgomery, AL. That game was played in Crampton Bowl.

Aug 16, 2012
What school were you?!? I'm thinking our tackles were approaching 250 (225 or so), our center was maaybe 200, and our guards were under 200 (I was a backup freshman guard at 150). So yeah we were that small on the line and based on your numbers so were your guys. The Texas team had guards/center at 220 or so and tackles over 250. We had one D tackle that was over 200. I am sure we didn't play anybody else with a complete set over 200. Point is, they are pushing 300 now in HS, so about 30-50% bigger.

I couldn't find our high school roster, but to make my point I found this link to the OU 1969 football roster. It lists one player at 235 and everybody else lighter. There DT's were 210-220. If you guys were that big in 1965 your high school probably had more beef than the OU football team.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=1969

Cushing. 2A at the time playing the likes of Charles Crawford (short OSU tenure) from Bristow and Bobby Riley (stud OSU tenure) from Stroud (and the only guy to catch a pass within my coverage all season--but I still say he was OOB).

30 guys of which about 8-10 were seniors (including me). Stillwater News Press called us the dirty 30.

Not a single guy except two fat dude underclassmen who did not play were over 200. To be fair, we had a TE that was about 230 that got hurt in the walkthrough before our first game. Unfortunately, I was part of the situation as I intercepted a pass and started jogging like I was headed for six, he steps up to stop me, I juke, he jukes, but his knee did not. Relevant because all 155 lbs. of me played TE for the rest of the season in addition to being a corner (seven played 2-ways).

We had a guard/nose that was only about 10-15 lbs. heavier than me, could not have been much more than 5-8 or 5-9, and I think he was selected all-state as well as a top wrestler. Mean son of a bitch that few could handle.

Behind Eddie Boyd (short stint at OSU and KSU, also earning all-state if I recall), won conference and bi-district before getting jobbed by Sallisaw and Craig Benson (muscle squirting out of his leg Craig Benson that was at OSU).

We were really small but stupid fast.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

Cushing. 2A at the time playing the likes of Charles Crawford (short OSU tenure) from Bristow and Bobby Riley (stud OSU tenure) from Stroud (and the only guy to catch a pass within my coverage all season--but I still say he was OOB).

30 guys of which about 8-10 were seniors (including me). Stillwater News Press called us the dirty 30.

Not a single guy except two fat dude underclassmen who did not play were over 200. To be fair, we had a TE that was about 230 that got hurt in the walkthrough before our first game. Unfortunately, I was part of the situation as I intercepted a pass and started jogging like I was headed for six, he steps up to stop me, I juke, he jukes, but his knee did not. Relevant because all 155 lbs. of me played TE for the rest of the season in addition to being a corner (seven played 2-ways).

We had a guard/nose that was only about 10-15 lbs. heavier than me, could not have been much more than 5-8 or 5-9, and I think he was selected all-state as well as a top wrestler. Mean son of a bitch that few could handle.

Behind Eddie Boyd (short stint at OSU and KSU, also earning all-state if I recall), won conference and bi-district before getting jobbed by Sallisaw and Craig Benson (muscle squirting out of his leg Craig Benson that was at OSU).

We were really small but stupid fast.
Love hearing familiar old names mentioned.