Heisman Watch: Ranking the Big 12's Top Candidates for 2019

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Then you haven't really been paying attention to Texas. Or you dislike them so much it's clouded your ability to unbiased. He's pretty damn good and the difference between his freshman and sophomore seasons was pretty drastic. I'm sure they're projecting him to improve again this season, which is not a given. I don't see him as a Heisman candidate unless UT makes the playoff as a one loss team, but he's really good. If we'd of had him last year instead on Corndog, we'd have probably been in the B12 championship game. At the very least, he wouldn't have let us get our asses kicked by the bottom half of the standings.
The kid was good. 3,300 yards at almost 65% clip... 25-5 TD/INT ratio and lead them to a big bowl win over UGA. He also ran for almost 500 yards. He scored 2 in the air and on the ground against us last season.
Have paid attention and stand by my statement.

Was not in top 20 for yards last year, 700 behind Cornelius.

Was not in top 25 for TDs last year (25 TDs vs. Cornelius' #8 rank with 32 TDs).

TC had more total TDs.

32nd in passing efficiency (TC 36th)

72nd passing yards per completion (TC 14th)

7th Points Responsible For (TC 5th)

29th Total Offense (TC 7th).

Again, he is serviceable, but far, far, far from deserving to be in any Heisman discussion. Ask yourself this....if TC was back, do you think he would have been in discussion this year? I doubt it, but TC had better numbers and would have been returning with one of the top running backs, a top WR, a much better WR Corp, and a line that by all expectations should be significantly better.

And BTW, my optics are skewed by the fact he is an arrogant punk.

His freshman to sophomore numbers are skewed by the fact he shared reps with Beuchelle for a big chunk of his freshman season.

And the part about if we had him instead of TC we would have won the B12 is unadulterated nonsense.
Yeah you seem extremely unbiased. Stats are for losers. So it’s perfect description of Corndog’s performance last season. I’d take the guy who beat OU, made the conference championship game, and was the MVP of the Sugar Bowl.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Then you haven't really been paying attention to Texas. Or you dislike them so much it's clouded your ability to unbiased. He's pretty damn good and the difference between his freshman and sophomore seasons was pretty drastic. I'm sure they're projecting him to improve again this season, which is not a given. I don't see him as a Heisman candidate unless UT makes the playoff as a one loss team, but he's really good. If we'd of had him last year instead on Corndog, we'd have probably been in the B12 championship game. At the very least, he wouldn't have let us get our asses kicked by the bottom half of the standings.
Is there really anything he does better than everyone else? Or that at least he stands right up there with the most elite qbs in the country? Meh yardage, meh yards per pass, meh tds, meh completion percentage. Those are above average metrics, but somewhat pedestrian when stood against the recent qbs who have won the heisman. I can see him improving though and a level of improvement would put him up there but we'd have to actually see it and lets not forget that there are other qbs he's going against who will be improved too, and it feels like those other guys have higher ceilings.
I’m not even bothering to read your shit. Your incapable of being honest if it involves Ou football so I’m sure your post is full of balanced insightful opinions. If the rest of the board would do the same, we could maybe be rid of you.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I’m not even bothering to read your shit. Your incapable of being honest if it involves Ou football so I’m sure your post is full of balanced insightful opinions. If the rest of the board would do the same, we could maybe be rid of you.
Didnt even mention OU once. Happy to discuss the merit of everything I posted up there. I stand by it. With regard to the actual content of my post: It seems the prognosticators and even the vegas odds are on my side here. But again, happy to discuss the merit of my content with someone who disagrees.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah you seem extremely unbiased. Stats are for losers. So it’s perfect description of Corndog’s performance last season. I’d take the guy who beat OU, made the conference championship game, and was the MVP of the Sugar Bowl.
"Stats are for losers" Great reply. Really made your point with that one. Your bias is palpable as well. Your criteria is based on subjective opinion. stats are facts and TC was clearly the better QB last year. Ehlinger could not even beat us, throwing possibly the worst pass in NCAA history to lose. Ehlinger is about fourth in regard to being the best QB in the league, let alone the nation and will not even sniff being mentioned come December proving this is all just more of the "Texas is back" schtick

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
"Stats are for losers" Great reply. Really made your point with that one. Your bias is palpable as well. Your criteria is based on subjective opinion. stats are facts and TC was clearly the better QB last year. Ehlinger could not even beat us, throwing possibly the worst pass in NCAA history to lose. Ehlinger is about fourth in regard to being the best QB in the league, let alone the nation and will not even sniff being mentioned come December proving this is all just more of the "Texas is back" schtick
Nobody in the history of sports has even proven that cliche more accurate than Corndog. While I agree Ehlinger won't sniff being mentioned in December, that fact that you are arguing that the guy who barely made a bowl game is clearly better than the guy who was the Sugar Bowl MVP and made the conference championship game pretty much shows where the bias lies in the conversation.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Didnt even mention OU once. Happy to discuss the merit of everything I posted up there. I stand by it. With regard to the actual content of my post: It seems the prognosticators and even the vegas odds are on my side here. But again, happy to discuss the merit of my content with someone who disagrees.
Stop replying to me. I'm not reading your shit. I've seen your shtick on two different boards. You have no desire to actually discuss anything. You just want people to tell you how great OU football is. Now F off.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Stop replying to me. I'm not reading your shit. I've seen your shtick on two different boards. You have no desire to actually discuss anything. You just want people to tell you how great OU football is. Now F off.
I'd love to discuss your pick on who is the best big 12 candidate for the heisman. I havent referenced OU once, but you have twice now. So no clue why you keep bringing them up and getting off topic

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I'd love to discuss your pick on who is the best big 12 candidate for the heisman. I havent mentioned OU once, at all here. So no clue why you keep bringing them up and getting off topic
You didn't address this to me, but I've wanted to jump in here, so...

The best candidate will be the QB on the Big 12 Champion. So based on that, my top 3 are:

1. Hurts
2. Erhlinger
3. Purdy

If it were based on pure talent, I would give Purdy the best chance. However, winning the Heisman pretty much depends on putting your team at the top of your conference, unless you have mind blowing stats.

Outside of OSU, I'm very interested to see how ISU does this year.

Oct 10, 2016
Tulsa
I don't think that there is a good candidate in the Big 12 this year.
I think there will be some players that have great numbers that will be overlooked.
Clemson and Alabama have the 2 best preseason shots at winning the Heisman and both of those quarterbacks will be hard to overtake.
I also think, from some of the camp reviews that I have read on other sites, Spencer Rattler will be starting for OU before the season is over.
The coaches seem to think that he is good enough that he will only be there for three years.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
You didn't address this to me, but I've wanted to jump in here, so...

The best candidate will be the QB on the Big 12 Champion. So based on that, my top 3 are:

1. Hurts
2. Erhlinger
3. Purdy

If it were based on pure talent, I would give Purdy the best chance. However, winning the Heisman pretty much depends on putting your team at the top of your conference, unless you have mind blowing stats.

Outside of OSU, I'm very interested to see how ISU does this year.
You dont seem like you need midol, unlike someone else in here, good response.

I am not sure if Hurts is heisman material. He could be, with riley and that offense, but he seems more like a really good, dependable not mistake prone guy who will win you some games but not the most talented guy on the field. Purdy isnt that guy either. ehlinger and hurts would be my top 2 probably but i feel like i'd really need to see them play this year to see for sure. Hurts played against much stiffer competition in the sec, so i'd like to see how he fares against these big 12 defenses, he could turn out to be a rock star. who knows.

Honestly unless one of those two really show out hard this season, i think Lamb and Wallace would be the next best possibilities to get to nyc. Of course we dont know really how their qbs will fare.

Aug 16, 2012
I don't think that there is a good candidate in the Big 12 this year.
I think there will be some players that have great numbers that will be overlooked.
Clemson and Alabama have the 2 best preseason shots at winning the Heisman and both of those quarterbacks will be hard to overtake.
I also think, from some of the camp reviews that I have read on other sites, Spencer Rattler will be starting for OU before the season is over.
The coaches seem to think that he is good enough that he will only be there for three years.
And this is why I made my original comment about the entire article being an exercise in futility with most of the names simply inserted in order actually have a list.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws

Was not in top 25 for TDs last year (25 TDs vs. Cornelius' #8 rank with 32 TDs).

TC had more total TDs.

Again, he is serviceable, but far, far, far from deserving to be in any Heisman discussion. Ask yourself this....if TC was back, do you think he would have been in discussion this year? I doubt it, but TC had better numbers and would have been returning with one of the top running backs, a top WR, a much better WR Corp, and a line that by all expectations should be significantly better.

His freshman to sophomore numbers are skewed by the fact he shared reps with Beuchelle for a big chunk of his freshman season.

And the part about if we had him instead of TC we would have won the B12 is unadulterated nonsense.
Picking out numbers to try and fit a narrative.

Cornelius threw more passes and completed only 10-15 more. His percentage was 5-6% less than Ehlinger. Why not talk about throwing nearly 3x more interceptions that Ehlinger? If you talk about throwing 7 more TDs, you omit the 8 more picks.

TC was a 5th year Senior, SE was a soph. Again, you're trying to fit numbers in to make your point and ignoring the whole picture. Forrest for the Trees dude....

Aug 16, 2012
Picking out numbers to try and fit a narrative.

Cornelius threw more passes and completed only 10-15 more. His percentage was 5-6% less than Ehlinger. Why not talk about throwing nearly 3x more interceptions that Ehlinger? If you talk about throwing 7 more TDs, you omit the 8 more picks.

TC was a 5th year Senior, SE was a soph. Again, you're trying to fit numbers in to make your point and ignoring the whole picture. Forrest for the Trees dude....
Again, this whole line of discussion has devolved into a comparison of Ehlinger vs. Cornelius. If an argument can be made, and he is reasonably being compared to TC, he has no business in Heisman consideration talk....which was my original point. He cannot logically being lumped in with other QBs who legitimately have a shot at the Heisman. As others have said, the B12 really does not have a legitimate Heisman frontrunner and the exercise is moot.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Again, this whole line of discussion has devolved into a comparison of Ehlinger vs. Cornelius. If an argument can be made, and he is reasonably being compared to TC, he has no business in Heisman consideration talk....which was my original point. He cannot logically being lumped in with other QBs who legitimately have a shot at the Heisman. As others have said, the B12 really does not have a legitimate Heisman frontrunner and the exercise is moot.
I wasn't comparing the two... I was saying that Sam is a damn good QB, unlike what others were saying. He took a bad Texas team to winning the Sugar Bowl over UGA. But if you watch both SE and TC last year it's pretty clear who was better and he wasn't in Stillwater. There's a reason Corndog sucked in the senior bowl, was not drafted and didn't make it at any NFL camps (was released by GB). He's not that good.

Aug 16, 2012
I wasn't comparing the two... I was saying that Sam is a damn good QB, unlike what others were saying. He took a bad Texas team to winning the Sugar Bowl over UGA. But if you watch both SE and TC last year it's pretty clear who was better and he wasn't in Stillwater. There's a reason Corndog sucked in the senior bowl, was not drafted and didn't make it at any NFL camps (was released by GB). He's not that good.
Spin it however you want, Ehlinger is NOT a "damn good QB". Damn good QBs have top numbers despite your rhetoric that numbers are irrelevant. They are not.

BTW, UGA could have cared less to be in the Sugar Bowl and their play clearly showed it. And Texas was not bad by any account last year. For Pete's sake, they beat OU and finished second in the league. The irony is that if Texas was so bad, how was Ehlinger so good? You spin the situation to fit your narrative. Ehlinger will not be on an NFL team a year from now either. Legitimate Heisman contenders will be.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
If Ehlinger did not have a burnt orange longhorn logo on his helmet he would not be considered a Heisman candidate. You can debate specific stats, but bottom line he was not was not measurably better than Corn Dog last year. He was more consistent.

Ehlinger is supported by sky-high TEAM expectations for UT, both on offense and defense.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
The kid was good. 3,300 yards at almost 65% clip... 25-5 TD/INT ratio and lead them to a big bowl win over UGA. He also ran for almost 500 yards. He scored 2 in the air and on the ground against us last season.

TC had more total TDs.

Is this where we mention that Ehlinger is 1-2 against Oklahoma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Spin it however you want, Ehlinger is NOT a "damn good QB". Damn good QBs have top numbers despite your rhetoric that numbers are irrelevant. They are not.

BTW, UGA could have cared less to be in the Sugar Bowl and their play clearly showed it. And Texas was not bad by any account last year. For Pete's sake, they beat OU and finished second in the league. The irony is that if Texas was so bad, how was Ehlinger so good? You spin the situation to fit your narrative. Ehlinger will not be on an NFL team a year from now either. Legitimate Heisman contenders will be.
Glad you feel that way. Your opinion, which is different from most "experts" out there. And since when is "NFL ready" a qualification for the Heisman? You do know how many winners never made a team... right?

I said he was damn good, you then threw out numbers compared to Corndog, the only ones that he was better than Ehlinger. Strange you'd do that but ignore all the other numbers, to make your 'case'.

Aug 16, 2012
Glad you feel that way. Your opinion, which is different from most "experts" out there. And since when is "NFL ready" a qualification for the Heisman? You do know how many winners never made a team... right?

I said he was damn good, you then threw out numbers compared to Corndog, the only ones that he was better than Ehlinger. Strange you'd do that but ignore all the other numbers, to make your 'case'.
Hillary is going to run away with the 2016 election. Sound familiar? How many preseason top 25 teams are still there by the end of the year? Most of these "experts" are sports bloggers who earn $300 per article and live in their mom's basement eating pop-tarts and playing Madden.

And again, he has never been "damn good". If he was, he would have had top-10 stats, despite your inane insistence they mean nothing.