HCMG is 1-0 in Big 12 Openers in the 2020's.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
'13 & '17 losses stung pretty bad.

I had to join the wife at an OU-Notre Dame watch party after that debacle in Morgantown. Blake Bell looked like a Heisman winner, & I drank a lot at that party.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
HCMG needs to break this cycle. We have to have the team ready for Big 12 Conference. What comes to mind is 2017, a relatively quite TCU team a game no one would’ve ever thought of us losing. We were ranked #6! HCMG #beatWVU!

2010: NR WIN against NR (3-0) TexasA&M
2011: #7 WIN against #8 (3-0) TexasA&M
2012: NR LOSS against #12 (3-0) Texas
2013: #11 LOSS against (2-3) WVU
2014: #24 against (2-1) Texas Tech
2015: #24 WIN against (3-0) Texas
2016: NR LOSS against #16 (3-0) BAYLOR
2017: #6 LOSS against #16 (3-0) TCU
2018: #15 LOSS against (2-1) Texas Tech
2019: NR LOSS against #12 (2-1) Texas.

2020: #15 OSU (1-0) vs NR (0-0) WVU ??

It’s time to enter the roaring ‘20s strong.
WVU is 1-0.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Interesting perspective. We seem to stumble out of the gate a bit. Out of curiosity, I expanded to Gundy's tenure which took him to 7-8. Maybe we can get back to 500 on Saturday. For a bit of historical perspective:
Gundy 7-8
Les Miles was 1-3
Simmons was 2-4
Pat Jones was 2-9
Jimmy Johnson was 2-2-1

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Interesting perspective. We seem to stumble out of the gate a bit. Out of curiosity, I expanded to Gundy's tenure which took him to 7-8. Maybe we can get back to 500 on Saturday. For a bit of historical perspective:
Gundy 7-8
Les Miles was 1-3
Simmons was 2-4
Pat Jones was 2-9
Jimmy Johnson was 2-2-1
Jeez. No wonder it seems like conference play is always an uphill slog. It often is.

Sep 9, 2013
fwiw:
Spencer Sanders only completed 42.9 percent of his passes when he was under pressure last season and managed two touchdown passes, five interceptions and 14 sacks on 90 drop backs

With the WVU dline, OSU was likely better off with Dru brown at qb.

Oct 30, 2007
This is in large part due to scheduling. We play cream puffs and then the first big12 team looks like they are all extra super fast relatively. Tulsa should help that this year and maybe Gundy will learn from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
This is in large part due to scheduling. We play cream puffs and then the first big12 team looks like they are all extra super fast relatively. Tulsa should help that this year and maybe Gundy will learn from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In the years we played UGAand Florida St in non conference we are 3-0 in home openers.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I've had the displeasure of sitting thru several of these as the conference opener is always very close to my birthday. The last one was 2018 and I haven't been to a football game since. Our conference openers have looked a whole lot like the Tulsa game last week except without a good showing from the defense.

rfaOSU

Greenhorn
Jun 25, 2011
I’m not sure past performance means anything regarding WV this weekend. WV touts a stellar DL and I see trouble for our young QB. Our first series against Tulsa I was a solid 9/10 win believer. Being realistic I’ve moved my expectations to 7/8 wins. Spencer appears injury prone. TX, UO and TCU have very good defensive front seven and I don’t know how quickly our OL can mature into a competitive unit.

Nov 6, 2010
I’m not sure past performance means anything regarding WV this weekend. WV touts a stellar DL and I see trouble for our young QB. Our first series against Tulsa I was a solid 9/10 win believer. Being realistic I’ve moved my expectations to 7/8 wins. Spencer appears injury prone. TX, UO and TCU have very good defensive front seven and I don’t know how quickly our OL can mature into a competitive unit.
Game planning this week will be critical. Gotta let Illingworth play, but not put too much on him. I expect to see max protect packages so he's only having to make a read or two before he gets rid of the ball. On the plus side, WV won't have any tape to prepare for him.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Game planning this week will be critical. Gotta let Illingworth play, but not put too much on him. I expect to see max protect packages so he's only having to make a read or two before he gets rid of the ball. On the plus side, WV won't have any tape to prepare for him.
I expect them to load the box & dare him to throw over the top.

I'd love to see us break tendencies & throw on 1st down some, but I don't expect it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Does it matter that HCMG is 5-0 in the last five verses WVU? Or do only negative stats count in this thread? Just curious. I'm pretty sure Dana put up an 0fer vs his old boss.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
I expect them to load the box & dare him to throw over the top.

I'd love to see us break tendencies & throw on 1st down some, but I don't expect it.
Yup, and middle of the field should be wide open for play action, but Gundy is loathe to throw over the middle, particularly with a green QB.

Sep 9, 2013
Does it matter that HCMG is 5-0 in the last five verses WVU? Or do only negative stats count in this thread? Just curious. I'm pretty sure Dana put up an 0fer vs his old boss.
and that is why DH is no longer the coach. NNeal Brown is the equal of gundy, and DH was about the worst hire WVU has ever made.

OSU has the better team, and is at home. You should win, but the talent should be even next year and beyond.
Im hoping SS starts and is hobbled. I dont think SS can beat WVU with his arm, not when running for his life-and make no mistake he will be under pressure. Texas and others may have an overall better defense, but WVU's dline is tops in big 12.

Halloween night continued a week-long house of horrors for the Big 12's top teams. While No. 12 Baylor was able to remain unbeaten with a 17-14 win over sliding West Virginia, it didn't come easy. The Bears turned the ball over three times -- a surefire way to keep any underdog in a game -- and were unable to generate enough daggers on offense to put the Mountaineers away for good.
Credit to Neal Brown's team. The Mountaineers may not be all that good, but they are remarkably well-coached on defense, which has given them a shot to at least be competitive in most of their games. They play hard and don't give up, and in Thursday's game that was nearly good enough to win. Instead, Matt Rhule's Bears continued their dream season by surviving and advancing. It's good enough this week, but the next month will be fascinating as they race towards the Big 12 Championship Game.
What did we learn from Thursday night's near-upset? Here are three takeaways from the game.
1.This will not be a fun week for Baylor's offensive line in the film room. This may not be your Art Briles' Baylor Bears, but this was a poor offensive showing no matter how you slice it. This was especially true up front by the offensive line. The Bears allowed eight sacks on the night and 12 tackles for loss. West Virginia's defensive front is a problem -- more on that bright spot below -- but Baylor simply had no answers in the trenches for the Mountaineers. It's not like West Virginia was bringing five or more guys every other snap. They were getting pressure with three or four. But the way the Mountaineers work up front gave Baylor all kinds of fits, to the point where defensive lineman Darius Stills literally called out Baylor's O-line to ESPN's sideline reporter in the middle of the game. Stills, by the way, finished with 10 tackles and three sacks.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
and that is why DH is no longer the coach. NNeal Brown is the equal of gundy, and DH was about the worst hire WVU has ever made.

OSU has the better team, and is at home. You should win, but the talent should be even next year and beyond.
Im hoping SS starts and is hobbled. I dont think SS can beat WVU with his arm, not when running for his life-and make no mistake he will be under pressure. Texas and others may have an overall better defense, but WVU's dline is tops in big 12.

Halloween night continued a week-long house of horrors for the Big 12's top teams. While No. 12 Baylor was able to remain unbeaten with a 17-14 win over sliding West Virginia, it didn't come easy. The Bears turned the ball over three times -- a surefire way to keep any underdog in a game -- and were unable to generate enough daggers on offense to put the Mountaineers away for good.
Credit to Neal Brown's team. The Mountaineers may not be all that good, but they are remarkably well-coached on defense, which has given them a shot to at least be competitive in most of their games. They play hard and don't give up, and in Thursday's game that was nearly good enough to win. Instead, Matt Rhule's Bears continued their dream season by surviving and advancing. It's good enough this week, but the next month will be fascinating as they race towards the Big 12 Championship Game.
What did we learn from Thursday night's near-upset? Here are three takeaways from the game.
1.This will not be a fun week for Baylor's offensive line in the film room. This may not be your Art Briles' Baylor Bears, but this was a poor offensive showing no matter how you slice it. This was especially true up front by the offensive line. The Bears allowed eight sacks on the night and 12 tackles for loss. West Virginia's defensive front is a problem -- more on that bright spot below -- but Baylor simply had no answers in the trenches for the Mountaineers. It's not like West Virginia was bringing five or more guys every other snap. They were getting pressure with three or four. But the way the Mountaineers work up front gave Baylor all kinds of fits, to the point where defensive lineman Darius Stills literally called out Baylor's O-line to ESPN's sideline reporter in the middle of the game. Stills, by the way, finished with 10 tackles and three sacks.
Nolaeer - Lol, I always forget that you like to come on this board right before our games with you guys. Btw, did you mistakenly post all that Baylor vs WVU stuff or did you mistake me for someone who cares about that (DNR)? Honestly I think we have a real good shot...better than if the Pokes had manhandled Tulsa. My thought is that we looked bad so our star players will be hell bent on looking better on offense. I agree, I'd rather have our gunslinger vs your D than our running QB. I wasn't sold on our runner last year and we were all counting on him being much improved for our Big 12 chances. Right now I'm willing to see what the young gun can do on the big stage Saturday...assuming he starts...who knows if he does.

As far as last year, no Brown wasn't nearly as good as Sanders...he was also an average passer and Sanders is able to keep plays alive with his feet more than Dru.

Last edited: