Gunnar Gundy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What is the general feeling on Gunnar? Is he a college quality QB?
I just did a little Googling about it. From what I read he really may be legit Power 5 level, but according to his high school coach, schools are afraid to invest too much time in him because they think he'll play for dad.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
He already has an offer from Central Michigan, but I'm thinking if the Pioneers go deep into the state playoffs again, Gunnar will really start to gain some major school attention.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to see Gunnar playing at OSU simply because of the Bob Simmons/Nathan Simmons fiasco of Nepotism. That turned out awful for two good people and the school they represented.

Nov 6, 2010
He already has an offer from Central Michigan, but I'm thinking if the Pioneers go deep into the state playoffs again, Gunnar will really start to gain some major school attention.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to see Gunnar playing at OSU simply because of the Bob Simmons/Nathan Simmons fiasco of Nepotism. That turned out awful for two good people and the school they represented.
I don't think that would happen in this scenario. I don't think the talent is close to what we will have at QB like it was at RB back then. N. Simmons was a really good back before he hurt his knee, highly recruited if I remember. If the junior Gundy comes here it will be as a walk-on behind S. Sanders, Costello, and the new 4* coming in. If he comes to OSU it will be with the knowledge he can be a reliable backup, and maybe get some PT at some point in his career.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I don't think that would happen in this scenario. I don't think the talent is close to what we will have at QB like it was at RB back then. N. Simmons was a really good back before he hurt his knee, highly recruited if I remember. If the junior Gundy comes here it will be as a walk-on behind S. Sanders, Costello, and the new 4* coming in. If he comes to OSU it will be with the knowledge he can be a reliable backup, and maybe get some PT at some point in his career.
yeah, don't listen to him.... Eddie played his kids, Holiday played his kid, Smith is in... it happens all the freaking time.

like you said, Simmons was good until after his knee, then he was never quite the same.... it happens.

Apr 13, 2007
At one time Bobby Bowden had one kid playing, two were assistant coaches and two Daughters were cheerleaders. All at the same time.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
WTF?
1. None of us have any idea how good young Gundy can/will be. None of us, even his ol' man.
2. There is NFW the discussion around the Gundy dinner table would EVER be about a "reliable" backup. Not from OSU's HC, nor form the recruit's father.
3. I GG walks on, he like every other QB will earn his spot on the depth chart based on his practice habits and performance and not based on recruiting stars.

Nov 6, 2010
WTF?
1. None of us have any idea how good young Gundy can/will be. None of us, even his ol' man.
2. There is NFW the discussion around the Gundy dinner table would EVER be about a "reliable" backup. Not from OSU's HC, nor form the recruit's father.
3. I GG walks on, he like every other QB will earn his spot on the depth chart based on his practice habits and performance and not based on recruiting stars.
OK, well, my money will be on Illingworth starting over Gundy. Let me know how much action you want on that when the time comes.